Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Do ppl make their own tahini?

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 10:38 pm
I haven't yet seen a recipe that doesn't call for tahini paste or something to that effect. Does anyone actually crush their own sesames or is that not possible? I'm just wondering because I want to make my own tahini (or at least try Wink ) and somehow I don't get how a tahini recipe can call for....tahini??!!

myfriends715

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 11:13 pm
we did 1 in culinary school today and we used the tahini paste

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 1:09 am
It probably would be hard to get the right texture. But if you want to try, try taking sesame seeds and sesame oil and blend it in the food processor for a long time.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 1:54 am
The seeds are crushed in bulk because it is not practical to do it at home because of the amount of seeds to get the paste.

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 3:28 am
I toast about 3/4 pound of sesame seeds, then soak them for 2 hours (this removes some of the bitterness and makes them easier to mash). I put all the sesame seeds in the food processor with a small amount of oil (less than a tablespoon), let the food processor run for about 3 minutes or so, then add 3 more tablespoons of oil. It comes out as smooth as anything you would buy at the store. Only it tastes a lot better, and it's cheaper! Smile

octopus

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 1:17 pm
alpidarkomama wrote:
I toast about 3/4 pound of sesame seeds, then soak them for 2 hours (this removes some of the bitterness and makes them easier to mash). I put all the sesame seeds in the food processor with a small amount of oil (less than a tablespoon), let the food processor run for about 3 minutes or so, then add 3 more tablespoons of oil. It comes out as smooth as anything you would buy at the store. Only it tastes a lot better, and it's cheaper! Smile

thanks!

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 1:56 pm
what type of oil do you use, alpidarkomom?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 2:03 pm
Interesting! alpidarkomama, I'd love to try this with unhulled sesame seeds, so that I get optimal amounts of calcium. Thanks! Been looking for high calcium tahini for a while. (Most of the pastes here in the states have no calcium, which is shocking, because whole sesame seeds are a great source of calcium!)

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 3:47 pm
I've used canola, sesame, and peanut oils. All worked fine. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics