Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Microbes in food - yogurt specifically

WriterMom  

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 3:08 pm
This might be a dumb question, but it occurred to me today for the first time.

We have a yogurt maker. You add warm milk, add yogurt cultures, and it heats it at a low temp until it becomes yogurt, then you refrigerate and use as normal. You need to add the culture; some people buy dried packets of it and stir it in, or you can use some yogurt you've already got that has active cultures and that's your starter. That's what I did, so I've never looked for a kosher packet of bacteria to add; I don't know if they exist, but kosher yogurt certainly does, so that's what we used.

Here's my (perhaps silly) question: the cultures are alive, and they're not vegetable. Is there any issue at all here with kashrut, since you're eating something that's alive?

chanahlady

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 3:28 pm
Oops, sorry, read it too quickly... you were asking about culture and I answered about yeast!

Last edited by chanahlady on Tue, Aug 18 2009, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 3:43 pm
Do you know how many bacteria you ingest daily? Shratzim are forbidden- this includes all visible bugs.
But microbes, as in microscopic-obes, are not non-kosher because they arent visible to the naked eye and torah does not forbid you from eating something you cannot see without a microscope.

However, you have to find out where these microbes are grown; perhaps they are grown in non kosher cultures and hence a problem and need a hechsher? I don't know...

WriterMom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 8:35 pm
Seraph wrote:
Do you know how many bacteria you ingest daily? Shratzim are forbidden- this includes all visible bugs.
But microbes, as in microscopic-obes, are not non-kosher because they arent visible to the naked eye and torah does not forbid you from eating something you cannot see without a microscope.

However, you have to find out where these microbes are grown; perhaps they are grown in non kosher cultures and hence a problem and need a hechsher? I don't know...

Good point ... I guess I wondered if there's bacteria that are naturally present vs bacteria that you deliberately introduce. I looked in the health food store and the starters they sell have no hechsher, so since using a tablespoon of storebought yogurt works for us, I'll just stick to that.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 10:49 pm
Yes, you can buy it in the health food stores, because the SCD diet requires this to be added to the yogurt maker. Regarding your question, I believe bugs that are microscopic are ok… or at least below a certain size. You’re getting millions of good bugs with each serving, so don’t worry. And of course you already know, they’re good bugs!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen