Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Laxatives
1  2  Next

Sherri

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:07 pm
I suspect that an 18 year-old girl I know (who is around 5'4" and a size 4) is taking laxatives for weight loss purposes. I don't think this is healthy. Can anyone provide me with some medical info?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:15 pm
google.com

Ruchel

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:15 pm
a size 4? for weight loss?? I would look into sending her to a psychanalyst!

sunshine!

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:18 pm
Start thinking along the lines of bulimia.... and get her help!

Pooh

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:19 pm
I used to do the same. MAKE HER STOP ASAP!!!!
tell her its completely counterproductive, it actually makes you more fat, dehydrates you and kills your intestines, but if she is like I was, she wont listen, and she may be anorexic or bulimic, so she needs professional help. if she would want to speak with someone who went through it (im 22 so she can relate to me) PM me.

Sherri

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:20 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I agree, but that's another issue. I am wondering if it does work, though.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:23 pm
are yu sure its for weight loss?

I too am a size 4, 5 foot 9 and have to take laxatives ever so often... Im always constipated and if I dont go for awhile I have no choice. For awhile means over a week!

Sherri

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
are yu sure its for weight loss?

I too am a size 4, 5 foot 9 and have to take laxatives ever so often... Im always constipated and if I dont go for awhile I have no choice. For awhile means over a week!

No, I am not sure if it's for weight loss. However, she does talk about being sooo fat, having gained 20 pounds at seminary, yada yada yada... And I am not even 100% sure she is taking them- it's my suspicion.

ss321

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 1:52 pm
Sherri wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

no. it doesnt work. but it can and likely will cause other complications most worrisome of them are cardiac arrythmias .... cardiac arrest.... death.... (if you want to call that a complication).

she needs to speak to a competent psychiatrist and I would NOT recommend "taking this on" or confronting her on your own. the problem is likely far more deep and complex than what it appears to be.

in response to your initial query, here is some information for you:
http://www.nationaleatingdisor.....e.pdf

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 2:14 pm
Maybe you should voice your concerns to her mother if you can.
There are other options besides laxatives for constipation; if someone needs it on that regular a basis they should probably see a GI.
Hate to say this but I too am thinking along the lines of eating disorder. If she gained twenty pounds and she's a size 4, she must have lost the weight already; this may be her way of keeping it off. Hatzlacha.

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 4:10 pm
from what I understand, laxatives don't even really even work for constipation as in the long run it causes more constipation (same thing as diuretics--ends up making you need more water and being more bloated). I would not act as her therapist, but you shouldn't just stand idly by watching her either. are you close with her? would she listen to you? would her mother listen to you? or, do you know who her doctor is, that you could speak to him/her? just some suggestions....definitely speak to someone she is close with and a psychologist/therapist experienced in this field and see what you can do to help her. but, no, laxatives do not help one lose weight.

Sherri

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 4:10 pm
ss321 wrote:
Sherri wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

no. it doesnt work...

So then I could be completely off. If she is taking them, then perhaps it is for constipation. (She claims she gained 20 pounds- I am not an expert, but I saw her throughout the year and didn't see her weight yo-yo.)

I don't know if I am being an alarmist, or naive.

Sherri

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 5:28 am
Health is a Virture wrote:
are you close with her? would she listen to you? would her mother listen to you? or, do you know who her doctor is, that you could speak to him/her? just some suggestions....definitely speak to someone she is close with and a psychologist/therapist experienced in this field and see what you can do to help her.

First I have to figure out if that's what is happening.
She's a relative of mine. She was visiting where I wasa guest and there were laxatives in the common bathroom that disappeared with her when she left. She and a yeshiva bochur left the same day- so either they're hers [and she is using them either a) to lose weight or b) for constipation] or they are his.
Again, I don't know if I am an alarmist, or too naive. I don't want to put 2+2 together and get 5.

Sherri

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 10:07 am
"Bump."
What do you think?

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 10:17 pm
Is she in school? Do they have a social worker that can speak to her? Stay out of it personally.

Sherri

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 8:04 am
Do you think I am totally off, or am I onto something?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 10:59 am
Sherri wrote:
Do you think I am totally off, or am I onto something?

You could be on to something but there should be other indicators such as change in personality, new style of clothes (baggier) retreating socially, etc. Again, I say stay out of it personally, but do notify third parties of your suspicion.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:12 am
you may very well be onto something and I would err on the side of caution. she could be bulimic or have some of the symptoms (bulemia is not only throwing up - its any way to get rid of it, excessive exercize and laxatives included)

it does work for weight loss but very short term - its water weight (and I speak from experience) but it is VERY dangerous - throws the electrolyte balance off, her potassium levels could drop, and in short....she could die.
so I would take your suspicions to someone who can do something - if her parents are the type to totally deny it, then you need to find someone else to confront her. depending on how she reacts you would know if its a problem or not.

warning: us eating disordered people are VERY GOOD LIARS. if she says she doesnt or wtvr, tell her to ease your mind you'll just take her for a physical. and obviously tell the dr your suspicions beforehand so he/she knows what to look for.

the longer this keeps going the more dangerous it is. do something NOW

Sherri

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:26 am
Thanks for the replies. I do not intend to deal with this myself, don't worry ShakleeMom!
I will think about what you said, amother above- I do not see any changes of the sort you described, but I will keep my sensors up and about.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 4:39 am
Yes please get involved even if its notifying someone closer to her. I just had this with myself. I was not in denial but could not get myself together to help myself. I had ppl come to my dh and no I didn't resent them I am so grateful. Now for the first time I am getting help and though the progress is ssssslowwww I could never have helped myself. Its a scary disease and I don't want to die from it yet I can't stop on my own. Get involved you may save her life even if she isn't appreciative. If it comes from love she will know maybe not now but when she gets well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise