Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Upsherin- boy twin of boy/girl .....
1  2  Next

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 2:18 am
would you have it be ALL about him? Or would you do something for her too?

The upsherins here seem to be REALLLLLY low key, but we'd like to do a little more---- a speech or two, speaking directly to the kid(s), a gift presentation for the kid(s). Give him his kippah in front of everyone and make a big deal about it.... so then would we make a big deal about her too and her wearing dresses from now on and present her with a dress?

Or just make it a party, no speeches, zehu?

What have you done, boy/girl moms?

shosh

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 2:22 am
We made a big party. At the same time, we gave dd some toys and a pretty dress. Some of the guests showed the same sort of sensitivity and gave her something as well.

YALT

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 6:21 am
By Lubavitch a girl lights a shabbos candle from the age of 3. So those who want to make a big party for her do a candle-lighting party - Friday evening. Many shluchim do this to give a shabbos meal experience to those who've never seen it before. (Obviously the program starts before shabbos when she lights her candle together with all the other women.) But I take it you don't hold by that custom.

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 7:38 am
I recently got an invitation to triplets and they left nobody out ... it was the nicest I've ever seen ... right bashinda !!!

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 9:55 am
maybe you can make a big deal about giving each of them their very own siddur. (the type with pictures) You can even decorate them with fancy covers. And/or a tzedaka box.

beautiful blessings

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 9:56 am
I plan to have it about both of them - well, obviously mainly it's an upsherin, but we're also celebrating her birthday at the same time (which normally wouldn't be made such a big deal out of, but since she's a twin, she got lucky). We got her ears pierced already, and they know she got earrings in honor of the upshernish, and he's getting a yarmulka and tzitzis.....

QUEENY

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 10:12 am
They each got to pick out their own cakes. Mostly all the guests bought them each a gift (which I did not expect). I don't think at any point my daughter felt left out. She got plenty of attention and had a great time. Some people even bought my 4 year old son a gift which I thought was sooo sweet.

myfriends715

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 2:44 pm
we are prob gonna give our daughter pierced ears on that day so she has something special as well but we have a yr

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 3:33 pm
negel vassers, ceremoniously opened by all?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 4:35 pm
it's a birthday party, basically.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 4:53 pm
I'd keep it low key but that's just me, twins or not.
But yes, I'd give her something to celebrate too. What you said abt the dresses only deal, I like that..

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 6:00 pm
GREAT ideas gang, THANKS!

We're not Lubavitch so we wouldn't be doing the Friday night candle ceremony.....

LOVE the siddur idea and negel vasser idea particularly. I'd given no thought to piercing her ears. She can get it done when she's a teenager if she wants to then.

tovarena

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 8:04 am
Freak that I am, I asked the same question just over a year ago (as we were considering our kids' 1st birthday). There were a few other interesting answers there. I especially liked Tefila's answer. DH and I have spoken about it since and decided that even though it's an upsherin, we'll be putting the big emphasis on the hachnosos l'chinuch aspect of the event - especially since the beauty of that ceremony was the main reason we decided to let DS's hair grow (since we're both BTs and have no family minhag one way or the other).

As it turns out, she'll likely end up with a hair cut the same day, but that's partially just because her hair has grown so slowly that it just now could use its first cut (they're just before 2) so we're considering letting hers grow as well since she anyway likes it up in a ponytail every day (whatever her brother has, she MUST have, too LOL ).

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 1:37 am
I didn't have twins but when dd turned 3 we went shopping to buy her her candle and a tznius dress. Then we went to ice cream lunch.Made a big deal about her being big and tznius. I told her gannenet and she made a fuss over the dress at her gan party and used it to mention tznius to all of the girls.

I just did a similar day with 3 yr old gd.

myfriends715

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 12:37 pm
ok guys, 5 months till my kids turn 3, im nixing my original plan of getting shani earring cuz im afraid sruli is going to pull them off of her, I wanna know how to make the day special for her, how to word invitations, etc. c'mon all u experienced mommies

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 12:47 pm
For dd's third birthday I really wanted to do something big (it's the beginning of chinuch age).
We had a catterer friend make letters in ginger bread covered in honey, decorated the house, invited family and friends... there was even an amother there, not saying who Wink
Before we brought her to the hairdresser for the first time to make curls "like a big girl" but we didn't cut (I plan to see how long they can get).

If you're on FB add me if you wanna see!

tovarena

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 12:55 pm
Myfriends,
We're also knee-deep in planning now (I know, surprise, surprise - considering our kids are just a few weeks apart). Our current plan, if it helps any, is to seat them both up front and have DD hold the pushka for people to put money in when the come up to cut DS's hair (and possibly let her get a few snips, too - we'll play that by ear day of).

Then we'll do the shema and aleph bais with both and give both of them siddurim (see thread here).

I'm also still looking for good b/g wording for an invite. I'm kind of playing with some ideas myself since I haven't seen anything out there that works. And I'm in search of some sort of cardstock to print the invitation on as well that's Judaic and child-oriented but not specifically boyish. Haven't found it yet, though.

Hopefully there'll be some other good ideas that I can poach too. LOL

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 1:20 pm
we had about 80 people there but I didn't mail out any invites--- see, no problems with wording! Smile I was lazy--- I created a facebook event, plus I did one phone call and put it out on postcalls.com.

I think my wording on the facebook event was something like "Chananiah's upsherin (and birthday party for both twins!)"

tovarena

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 1:29 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
we had about 80 people there but I didn't mail out any invites--- see, no problems with wording! Smile I was lazy--- I created a facebook event, plus I did one phone call and put it out on postcalls.com.

I think my wording on the facebook event was something like "Chananiah's upsherin (and birthday party for both twins!)"

Tongue Out Cheater!! LOL

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 1:33 pm
I've never gotten an upsherin invite in the mail--- they're always on facebook and phone calls! around here, anyway! Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more