Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Bath-o-phobic Toddler

amother

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 12:15 pm
My 2 1/2 year old DS has a sudden fear/hate of baths. He used to love taking them. He went through a phase like this about a year ago that was caused by him accidentally slipping under the water (I got him out in a second) and it only lasted a week or so. This has been going on for weeks with no cause that I can figure out. I've tried EVERYTHING- bribes, sitting in the tub with him, showering with me or DH and nothing seems to work. HELP!

fiddle

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 12:19 pm
put him on a bathing suit, and tell him its swim time, let him play. or put some bubble bath, and a little water, use the shower nozzle for his head.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 12:21 pm
Maybe do some research on "sensory integration". Over-sensitivities commonly become apparent in bathtime situations. Books on this topic often had ideas to try to make the experience less distressing.

SingALong

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 1:06 pm
there are great bath/water toys out there that might convince him. my DD refused to take baths for awhile so I stocked up on bath crayons/marker/ and other toys it helped.
also maybe dont fill up the bath, just let water run and wash him wiht a cup.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 10:07 pm
OP here. Thanks for your ideas. He won't go swimming so swimming time won't work. I am familiar with sensory integration dysfunction and he has no other characteristics. I've gotten bath toys and I use a cup. Still won't work. So I asked him about it. He told me he's afraid his foot will go down the drain. I put my foot there and let the water drain and he saw that nothing happens but he still refuses to take a bath. What do I do??

Mini Cookie

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 10:51 pm
DD had this for a while. She wasn't approved for OT & BH after a while she just got over it BH

pecan

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 11:07 pm
My son went through this recently - it lasted for about a month or a little longer. I put toys in the water and sometimes he got distracted but mostly he stood screaming while I cleaned him. Eventually through the toys, and bathing with his brother, and me being careful not to get his eyes wet, he got over it.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 11:17 pm
Make bathtime be 30 seconds, where you wash him and that's it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics