Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Uniforms - How many?

happyone

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 7:29 am
How many uniforms do you generally buy for your children? How many skirts and how many shirts?

I've been having his argument with a friend. She says pretend it's clothes, and buys about 5 sets. I bought two and am wondering if it's enough.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 7:36 am
I wore uniforms growing up, and 2 skirts/jumpers and ~5 shirts was enough.

merelyme

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 7:40 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....iform

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 7:45 am
I have 4 shirts, 2 skirts, 3 jumpers (sweaters), 3 ties and 1 jacket.
It really depends on how frequently you're planning to wash and how expensive they are. Shirts I wash everyday, Skirts and jumpers rotate about once a week. Among our kids' classmates, I highly doubt anyone having more than 2-3 pairs of skirts/jackets. They're good quality but not cheap. Everyone uses hand-me-down (politely called "retro uniforms") from families whose kids outgrew one.

For younger kids, I had to get a spare set to be kept at school.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:51 pm
I start each kid with 5 shirts, but gradually add more, since later in the year I want long sleeve (for elementary school they wear polo shirts). I can usually get them on sale at the end of the summer for $6 or $7 at Target or Walmart. They are the same ones the public school kids wear.

For the boys I tend to have more than 5 pairs of pants, since they wear the same ones for Shabbos and I usually only do wash weekly.

My younger kids always come home dirty, regardless of what they do.

Skirts are very expensive, so we started with two, which were subsidized in cost by a fund the school has. At the end of the school year the school had a sale so I picked up another skirt. I buy them big and hem/take them in so as to stretch out how long I can use them. Sometimes I end up hand washing mid-week if they get too dirty.

I really don't have an opinion one way or another about the uniforms, but at a cost of $50 per skirt, it's crazy. The girls' shirts are also much more expensive and when they get to middle school they are requried to have a shirt with a shell underneath, regardless of the buttons. I'm lucky most of my kids are boys.

BLUEROSE

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 1:18 pm
I buy three skirts and four shirts.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 1:27 pm
2-3 skirts (depending on the age) and 5 shirts (enough for a week).

shopaholic

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 6:12 pm
My son has 4 shirts & 4 pants because his are cheap. DD has 3 jumpers (Childrens Place didn't have any more where I went) so I got 3 shirts - they were $14 each!!!

Barbara

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 6:55 pm
happyone wrote:
How many uniforms do you generally buy for your children? How many skirts and how many shirts?

I've been having his argument with a friend. She says pretend it's clothes, and buys about 5 sets. I bought two and am wondering if it's enough.

Uniforms are clothes, why pretend? In fact, your daughter will be in her school uniforms a whole lot more than she'll be in anything else.

Our school doesn't have uniforms, but does have a dress code. We always have at least 5 bottoms and 5 tops.

My guess is that 2 is on the low side. You'll need to do laundry every day, or every other day if you wash after school, and are sure everything will be dry in the morning. But is there any reason that you can't start out with what you have, then buy more if you decide that she needs more?

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 7:07 pm
I have a lot. I find it is so much less stressful to have plenty, especially shirts. I can get away with spot cleaning skirts or trousers, and they don't get so dirty, but shirts are very cheap, especially the short sleeved ones for my boys.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 7:54 pm
I always buy enough so I only have to wash the child's laundry once a week.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 8:45 pm
this discussion sounds familiar ...

in elementary when I had more kids in the same school and they had both plaid & navy, skirt & jumpers, I had 4 or 5 bottoms and lots of shirts as we had white & yellow & then navy too ...

now in high school with the same plaid skirt - dd has 2 skirts and 5 shirts ... I think it's time for some new shirts ...

gryp

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 8:49 pm
I don't get the "pretend it's clothes" thing either. It is clothes.

I planned on buying 4 pairs of pants and 4 shirts, but when I saw how inexpensive they were here, I bought extra.

raizy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 1:53 am
I bought 5 shirts 3 where shirts and 2 were polos. and I bought 2 jumpers . and I still have from last yr some shirts that are still good. and 2 jumpers that are still good.

so 4 jumpers and 5 shirts should tide u over. as I wash them and hang them up to dry. it looks nicer longer.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 9:49 am
3 skirts, 3 shirts, a vest, a sweater, and a cardigan. DD ended up hating all except the sweater with the half zipper... so I had to buy more of those. my advice with sweaters and stuff: don't buy too many because if your dd is a fashionista, she will loathe your taste and you'll end up buying what she likes on other girls... so save your money until halfway through the year when you really know what you need.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 9:53 am
3 jumpers, 5 shirts, 2 cardigans, umpteen pairs of knee socks. this is in fact, the majority of her wardrobe for the year.

zigi

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 10:03 am
b'h its cheaper for boys! the shirts are 8 and pants 10 so I bought enough for a week. the sweaters are harder to find. I have 3 sweaters and 2 vests. I might buy more b/c I have a coupon.

shaklee that is a good idea. I can see giving me problems. do girls uniforms ever go on sale?
I am worried about buying for dd b/c the jumpers cost more.

they are clothes the kids are in them from 8-5 that is the whole day. the good thing is that I don't have to buy a lot of weekday regular things.

I bought 8 shirts if you count in the white shirts for school and 7 pants. I know myself that I won't always manage to fully do the laundry- wash and put away- every week. something always comes up and I can't make it to the laundromat.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 10:11 am
Two sweaters, three shirts, and two skirts are enough. You can always have a velour house set she can change into when she comes home if you see her ruining her uniform.

morahaviva

Post Sun, Sep 06 2009, 10:41 pm
it all depends how often you do laundry. I can only manage to get down to my buildings laundry room once a week, so I needed to get my kids more uniforms. Last year there were too many times that I had to do emergency hand wash and dry stuff with a space heater or blow dryer!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children