Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you own or rent your home?
1  2  3  Next

Do you own your home?
Yes  
 52%  [ 36 ]
No  
 47%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 68

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 4:40 pm
Pros, cons of owning vs renting?

ektsm

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 5:15 pm
Gosh I want to own again

imanut

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 7:09 pm
I was told if you plan on living in the same place for 3/more yrs it pays to buy.

Tefila

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 8:00 pm
Do any of us actually own Confused or think we do. How much does the bank own what percentage is ours Exclamation . I mean lets not fool ourselves now Wink

happyone

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 12:30 am
I don't get what the question is??? Pros or Cons????
If you can afford it, it's great to own.
* you don't pay rent to someone, it goes toward something that will be yours after paying off the mtge.
* you have an asset for the future.
* if you ever need money to invest in a business or anything, you can always put a mortgage on your home.
* For the most part, real estate has only risen in the past years. It's something you could always sell in years from now, and a yerusha to leave your children..
My list could go on and on...
However, it's only good if you are fortunate enough to affford it.
If not , your other option is renting, which has its pros too......
no responsibility, extra expenses, landlord fixes all problems (if they're decent ) etc..

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 12:37 am
This can be a pro or con to owning: when you own you think very hard b/4 making a decision to move, whereas if you rent and something is inconvenient where you live (babysitting/school sitch, job, yeshiva) you can move to rent elsewhere with much less hassle and thought.

miriamPA

Post Wed, Apr 05 2006, 12:35 pm
I think it depends on where you live if its worth it to own or rent.I moved from monsey to PA because We could never dream of buying a a half million $or more house there.I'm happywith our choice even though it was an adjustment..you get a little spoiled in big yiddishe areas LOL

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 9:16 pm
We're living with my parents (who own their villa), and looking to buy.

yrs1025

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 10:35 am
We own our home.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 10:41 am
We also own.

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 11:56 am
We owned when we first got married, and it was a disaster. We were not good with maintenance or upkeep. Now we rent and it's much less stressful. However we want to own again, after we move in a year and save up some money for a down payment.

shayna82

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:11 pm
we own, and its the best thing we did. yes it takes work and other expenses that come along with it, but renting is like throiwng your money down the toilet.

Yosefa

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 1:43 pm
Here in Florida, it's very hard to get insurance and the roof might blow off every year. I was so anxious to own, but our management company is great and takes care of things within the hour (faster than I could!), so I'm pretty content now.

loves kids

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 7:17 pm
We own now, but desperately looking to buy. We live in a yiddishe area, so the prices are crazy high, but relatives are gonna help, b"h.

cutiemom

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 10:29 pm
Well as a mortgage broker here is what the prices basically add up to:
If you plan to live in a place for more than 3-5 years, it pays to own. Usually rent payments and mortgage payments are comparable and with mortgage payments you are getting something in the end. A house. or if you decide to sell - you get monetary value the house gained since you bought it and you come out making money. With rent, even if you stay in the same place for 30 years and continually make payments every month - for one thing the price will eventually go higher than your monthly mortgage payment would have been + you still need to continue paying rent after 30 years of payment!!

Having said all this - I rent. I am not really planning to stay in this city too long and when we decide were to settle down, we will most likely buy.

I tried to be clear and I'm sorry if I confused anyone. Please feel free to ask questions about what I said.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 10:37 pm
We own, but the house is older and we are always fixing something. Today I got industrious and painted the shed, put roof tar around the foundation so that I could build up the level of the earth, fixed the holes in the garage, and sprayed grass killer in the driveway cracks so that I can fill them with sand and sealer. DH said that I can no longer climb ladders so anything of that nature needs a handyman and there is plenty here for him to do. We just replaced the furnace and AC and did a lot of plumbing repair. Always fixing; that is what a house is!

lotte

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:25 am
We don't.We can't afford the house that we would wish to have.our dream home.
My dh does not care to never buy a house and as he always tells me:I dont care if on my matzeyvah it will say:Rabbi _ _ _ _ _ _ -never owned a house...

ssbarnes

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:32 am
Yes, we own our home. We couldn't afford to purchase a home within the eruv. We hope that in another year or two we will be able to sell this house and move closer to the shul.

shayna82

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:36 am
yes baruch hashem we got a nice starter home for an amazing price. we personally were set on getting one as soon as possible. money going to rent ever month isnt for us.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 12:45 am
lol yeah right. we paid for our wedding and got about 7K in gifts that we had to set up our entire apartment with. wouldn't be much left to purchase a home with, now would there

ok neways, even with a great deal on a home, can't afford that downpayment. it's a shame bc we spend a fortune on rent and can't downsize with our family size.

shayna82- ur lucky. putting money to rent every month isn't "for us" either, but there's no alternative.

soooo we'll always rent unless we win the lottery or move out of ny. house prices go up faster than the rate at which we can save.

teneleven- maybe ur day spa will really take off then u can afford ur dream home Wink
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics