Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Chizuk books
1  2  Next

Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 5:14 am
Could you recommend books which could help me become stronger in my faith, as a young Jewish modern-orthodox woman?

Motek

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 10:35 am
I'm happy to make recommendations but that's so broad ... how about narrowing it down a bit

biographies can be inspiring, true short stories can be inspiring, and then there are more scholarly works - what sort of books are you looking for?

Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 10:39 am
Yes, I realize I should narrow that down.....
I just placed an order at Targum press. For the moment, true stories, and women writing for women. It's not that I can't deal with more "scholary material" intellectually, but working "outside" for 40 hours/week, and being a mother to 3 small children, I am just to tired to focus on "high level" material..... embarrassed
I just need some chizuk on tsnius, chinuch, connecting to self, etc.

Motek

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 10:40 am
what did you order from Targum?

Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 10:51 am
oh, a whole list! it's easier than to shlep it in a suitcase, and it can be bought here.
Among others: Outside/Inside - Gila Manolson
Why should I stand behind the Mechitza when I could be a prayer leader? - Marina Goodman (very much liked the title!)
Gifts of a Stranger - Ahuva Gray (seems facinating)
Special Delivery - Sarah Goldstein (as I want to become a Doula myself)
The Kiruv Files - Nechemia Coopersmith etc. (because my husband and I are often confrontated with "lost Jews"...)

So, what do you think?

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 10:54 am
I think it will keep you busy for a long while Very Happy Very Happy

Motek

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 10:54 am
a nice selection!

Outside/Inside - Gila Manolson - read it long ago, thought it was good

Why should I stand behind the Mechitza when I could be a prayer leader? - haven't read it (yet)

Gifts of a Stranger - Ahuva Gray - I read her first book, about how she converted, really interesting

The Kiruv Files - great read, funny too

so you'll be busy for a while!

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 11:01 am
"Growing up with my children"
is a wonderful book, written by a mother whose name I do not remember.
I red it when my kids werhe 18 &1 m old & I though I was about to loose some of my sanity to the worthy cause of raising the next generation LOL LOL

(I think, Sarah Shapiro)

It will help you put things in perspective!!!!

PS your selection sound wonderful!!!

Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 11:04 am
Thank you all for the feedback!
Actually I think I was very optimistic when placing that order... Very Happy , hope I will have the time! But then again, I should MAKE time Tongue Out
Will try tomorrow to find that book ForeverYoung recommends, sounds interesting!
Have to go home now, to my most important job!
Take care everyone, hope to visit again tomorrow, B"H!

Motek

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 11:11 am
Growing with my Children is by S. Shapiro, yes, good book!

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 1:38 pm
"Life is too Short"
by Prof Abraham Twerski
A self help book with Short points is a clear and well written book and leaves you thinking if not changing your whole thought process!

A Midrash and a Maaseh
by Haanoch Teller
is an excellent book he tyes his stories into the parsha. And also gives over the commentarys as only a Hanoch Teller can!

Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 2:27 pm
I am at home now, with a very playful baby in hands, no way he's going to sleep anytime soon, but couldn't resist checking the forum... LOL
thanks again for the recommendations. maybe you know which publisher I can find these books by?

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 2:39 pm
Pnina for a midrash and a Maaseh is by Artscroll. This is a phenomenal book trust me people will wonder how you know so much seeing to babys, working and all!!! I Love It. expensive but worth it!!!

Lifes too Short I am not sure publisher but most bookstores incl non jewish should carry it, reasonable I think

There is also a Handbook with short ancedotes and lessons to be learned by Rabbi beryl Wein inexpensive, soft cover
inspirational great reading these books you will not put down so quickly
Also there's towards a Meaningful life by Simon Jacobson
provides food for thought reasonable
Hatzlacha

Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2005, 3:23 am
Dear Freilich,
Thank you so much, I will look those books up on the internet!

Motek

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 10:02 am
so what have you read and enjoyed Pearl?

I'm just finishing Gifts of a Stranger now. What an extraordinary woman Ahuva is!

Tefila

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 11:09 am
Also " it's all a gift " and "Raising children to care" by Miriam Adahan

Pearl

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 10:29 am
I read all the books I mentioned earlier, except for the book by Marina Goodman.
right now, I started reading "the secret of jewish feminity".

I wrote down all suggestions from FY and freilich, hopefully budget will permit a new order soon, iyh!

1stimer

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 11:05 am
Did you enjoy them pearl?

supermom

Post Wed, May 18 2005, 1:50 pm
Pearl wrote:

right now, I started reading "the secret of jewish feminity".

that one is not exactly about faith it is more about taharas hamishpacha.

did you enjoy the other books that you read? which ones would you recommend to others?

Pearl

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 4:12 am
Quote:
Pearl wrote:
Outside/Inside - Gila Manolson
Gifts of a Stranger - Ahuva Gray (seems facinating)
Special Delivery - Sarah Goldstein (as I want to become a Doula myself)
The Kiruv Files - Nechemia Coopersmith etc. (because my husband and I are often confrontated with "lost Jews"...)

Gila Manolson's book is beautiful, I will reread it soon, and recommend it highly to all those in need of chizuk re modesty.
Ahuva Gray's book was nice, but not as inspiring as I thought it could be. I had a feeling it's style was maybe too american for me (no ofense!)
Sarah Goldstein's book is very nice, especially for mothers-to-be, but also for other mothers.
The Kiruv Files has some very inspiring stories, especially if you are doing a lot of kiruv work, there are stories you could use!

another book I enjoyed very much is "no greater treasures" by Shoshana Lepon. 16 interpretations about heroines from the Talmud and Midrash. A friend of mine read it, and is now reading it to her children - it really is beautiful!

I am already working on a list of books I am longing to buy (a libary would be nice, but no such possibility here), just waiting for the right time to order them!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room