Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Ideas for staying home with 2 yr old needed

amother

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 2:13 pm
I'm keeping my two year old home and am planning to take her to a mommy and me once a week, grocery shopping once a week, library/museum another day. I daven with her in the mornings also. She does take a nap too.
Should I be doing projects, baking and other activities? What have some of you experienced moms done? I don't want to make such a rigid schedule but am I supposed to feel bad when she has to entertain herself so I can get household chores done? TIA

beilariva

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 2:50 pm
If you can, make sure to take her out in the morning and afternoon and let her move A LOT. This means walking, running, biking, playing with ball. If she burns up all of her energies she is more likely to agree to more still activities at home when you need the quiet and she will sleep better as well.
Also have the food ready when you get back so that you can let her sit with that while you take the chance to do stuff in the house.
I am home with DS 2,5 years and DS 14M. This formula works on them both. I take them to an empty school yard and tell them to run to the other side and then back a couple of times. Very Happy

chaylizi

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 2:52 pm
In my area, Rainbow Play Systems (a swingset company) has an indoor showroom near me. They have 5-6 swingsets and a couple of trampolines. For $5 my daughter can play for up to 4 hours there. We are there a lot.

beilariva

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 3:06 pm
What luxuary!!! We are stuck with the sand and schmutz every day!

SingALong

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 7:47 pm
I find that my 2 year old loves to help! so I try to include her as I do my stuff. for example, when I'm spraying the counters/ cleaning, she gets a spray bottle with water and a shmatte and I'm practically done dishes or whatever while she does the door/chair/same spot on the floor over and over.
also those clorox/lysol wipes are ok I just give her gloves, even more fun.

also she loves to vaccum, u just gotta keep a close eye with that.

folding laundry she loves. and my MIL got her a toy iron that makes steam noise and iron board toy so she can do along with me.

see if your kid has that kind of thing that they want to do things along with you and what type of things they do, and try to adapt it for their age.

I find that sometimes that is easier than keep on distracting them with an activity, and then quickly do what I need to do, distract again, back and forth.

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 02 2009, 8:01 pm
amother wrote:
I'm keeping my two year old home and am planning to take her to a mommy and me once a week, grocery shopping once a week, library/museum another day. I daven with her in the mornings also. She does take a nap too.
Should I be doing projects, baking and other activities? What have some of you experienced moms done? I don't want to make such a rigid schedule but am I supposed to feel bad when she has to entertain herself so I can get household chores done? TIA

Don't feel guilty for letting your child entertain herself. It's good for her. She will develop her imagination (something many kids are lacking). Your plans sound great; similar to what I have been doing the past couple of years with my kids. Good luck & enjoy!!

P.S. I do cook & bake challah with my kids. It isn't a set schedule though more of as needed kinda thing. Project? What projects can a 2 year old do on their own? Color for a couple of minutes & stick their hands in the glue. VOILA!!! LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics