Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Different kinds of Graco Snugride?

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:48 am
Ok, so I was looking up the Graco snugride and noticed that there are several different kinds all with different price points.

Can anyone explain the differences?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:56 am
DiznyIma wrote:
Ok, so I was looking up the Graco snugride and noticed that there are several different kinds all with different price points.

Can anyone explain the differences?

The cheapest don't have a front adjustable harness. DO NOT BUY THAT. You'll regret it. You'd have to loosen/tighten the straps from the back, which is not worth it (Especially with 2 Wink)
The next in line is a regular snugride that adjusts in the front, but without accessories like a footmuff, an extra headrest, etc. It's fine for what you need. The extra headrest doesn't even do so much good. I like to roll up receiving blankets to support the head for a snugger fit anyway.
The next comes with accessories (like the Platinum), but the material I've seen pills and it's a chaval to spend so much and end up with something that isn't holding up as well as it should for that price.
They also have a Snugride 32 which is the same as a Safeseat. It comes with built in lockoffs to make installation a bit easier properly, but the seat is so much heavier since it's made to last babies a while longer. I don't think it's worth it because it gets too heavy to quickly to use as a carrier, so you might as well switch your babies to a regular carseat when it's too heavy to shlep them in and out of the car in the carseats.

Hope that helps!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:04 am
HY, my carseat expert! Thanks so much!

Yes, I do not want an "extra heavy" carseat. We had the Britax companion last time and it was SO HEAVY!!!! I also thought that it was hard to clip in and out of the base.

I think I am leaning towards to Snugride with EPS, it's cheaper than the 32, but I think has more features than the base model?

The three models I seem to find online at the base model (around 80-90 dollars), Snugride with EPS (140 dollars) and then the Snugride 32 (170 dollars).
Of course money is an issue, but I don't want to be kicking myself later for not shelling out the extra 50 dollars or so for a better carseat. Also, DH is very concerned about safety, but he isn't interesting in doing and of the research. He basically told me, "find out whats the best and get 2!"

Also, just to clarify, the Snugrides will fit into the snap n go???

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:19 am
Yes, they'll fit into a snap n' go.

The ones with EPS I've seen pilling more than the more expensive base models (the 80-90 usually aren't front adjustable. It's more 100-110 for those ones...NOT at walmart/kmart/target stores...)
They're more padded so may be more comfy, and if you don't care that it snags/pills more, the extra $30/seat might serve you well, especially in the winter with the boot that can cost $20 each to get a carseat cover instead.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:27 am
I think I am ok with the possible pilling...

Also, I noticed that the Snugride with EPS is not available on the Target website, why is that?

Thanks so much!

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:32 am
I have a snugride with EPS. I haven't noticed any pilling & I've used it for 2 kids. If you want to see all the models & wear to buy them- go to www.gracobaby.com

I don't think they sell my pattern anymore, but this is pretty close to what I have

http://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/Pages/ProductListingPage.aspx?catid=10:41||1%2010434:4294959420||1&pno=3#/1594

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:58 am
I agree with HY on absolutely everything she said - except for the EPS thing. EPS foam is supposedly much more comfortable for the baby, and an "expert" (who I was not buying the carseat from, but who goes to carseat expos all over for business reasons, also deals with customers who have bought diff types of carseats) said that EPS is worth paying extra for. BUT if you can go to an actual store and look, sometimes the really cheap ones that don't advertise as having EPS, actually have EPS. And they don't have the pilling mateiral issues that HY pointed out (at least mine doesn't).

I wouldn't pay extra for the head insert (use rolled up blankets instead - the insert didn't work for my baby), or a foot muff. Honestly, most of the other things aren't important at all. But we made sure to get EPS foam, just in a cheaper model.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 12:01 pm
The pilling I've noticed are on the Sachi and Platinum ones -- not on the Giselle/Darius http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Sn.....XJ26I etc types that don't come with the same features. I don't think it's the EPS foam that is in the carseat that is causing the pilling, but the 'fancier' materials used on the Platinum, etc edition that actually don't hold up as well. I forgot that the $110 models also have EPS.

Target sells the absolute cheapest Snugrides available that don't have front adjustability because that is their clientele. Either they want dirt cheap or they want a Safeseat (so they can use that till 32 lbs and then switch their baby to FF which is absolutely unsafe at a young age) as an alternative economical method. It's a pet peeve of mine because it's almost impossible in my area to pick up a Snugride these days that adjusts in the front. Only Babies R Us has it from what I've seen since the frum store closed down Sad

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 12:20 pm
Well, I am pretty much doing all of my shopping online.

I hate having to buy anything at all before the babies are born, but I know you can't get away with not having a carseat and I am not trusting DH to run to walmart or whatever and pick up something random that "looked good."

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 12:59 pm
Yeah, that happened to my sister in law. She emailed me about carseats since she liked mine, and the next day she had her baby early and her husband just picked up one from whatever store, and it's a pain in the neck to use!!

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 12:59 pm
I see my mother got gypped when she bought my seat. She paid about 120, I had seen it elsewhere for 90, on Graco's website its $100. We could have gotten the Snugride 32 already for that price.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:00 pm
Which one do you have?

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:01 pm
Betsye, we bought it at the only jewish baby store that was open on Friday...

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:03 pm
why aren't there pretty prints for the snugride32? I like the Milan.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:03 pm
[quote="Hashem_Yaazor"]The pilling I've noticed are on the Sachi and Platinum ones -- not on the Giselle/Darius http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Sn.....XJ26I etc types that don't come with the same features. I don't think it's the EPS foam that is in the carseat that is causing the pilling, but the 'fancier' materials used on the Platinum, etc edition that actually don't hold up as well. I forgot that the $110 models also have EPS./quote]

mine is called Truffle

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:05 pm
Ok, so just to clarify

What is the difference between:
http://www.babysupermarket.com.....4GIS3

and
http://www.babysupermarket.com.....54177

The platnium is obviously about 20 bucks more...

cytlgr

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:16 pm
My Graco snugride has EPS and is adjustable in the front. I bought it at babies r us for approx. $100. Now Babies R Us has a trade in event that you can bring in your old car seat and get a new one for 20% off. Not sure if you're willing to give up your old one, but this might be an option. The pattern I have is Sterling and it's a Babies r us exclusive.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:30 pm
DiznyIma wrote:
Ok, so just to clarify

What is the difference between:
http://www.babysupermarket.com.....4GIS3

and
http://www.babysupermarket.com.....54177

The platnium is obviously about 20 bucks more...

The boot and fabric that's a slightly less sweaty than the giselle. People complained about the fabric, so they tried something a little different.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 1:38 pm
Right -- and that fabric on the Platinum is the kind I've noticed pilling very soon after purchase Sad

The Babies R Us $100 ones aren't as padded, but they work fine. Don't have the boot if you care. And, at least locally, you can only get pink or boyish blue which is annoying if you don't want a very gender-specific pattern.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics