Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Trying any new recipes this Yom Tov?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 7:12 am
1/3 c. chopped nuts (skipping)
1/3 c. raisins (she says you can also use craisins)
1/3 c. light brown sugar, packed
2 medium baking apples, such as Rome or Corland, peeled, cored and halved
4 frozen puff pastry squares
1/8 t. cinnamon
2 t. honey
1 pint vanilla ice cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13.
In a bowl, mix nuts, raisins and brown sugar. Set aside
Place 1 apple half, skin side down, on a puff pastry square. Pastry should be pliable enough to twist.
Fill apple cavity with nut mixture, approximately 1/2 c. per apple half.
Bring pastry up and around the apple half to cover. Twist the corners together so it looks like a drawstring purse.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with honey.
Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Place in prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until apples are soft. A sharp knife inserted into an apple should slip out easily.
Serve each with a scoop of ice cream if desired.

Enjoy!

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 7:32 am
sped wrote:
Yesha - what is your spinach-noodle kugel, please? Is it posted here?
Thanks

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....14244

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:16 am
Recipe for chicken rolled around the rice with sticky sweet sauce:

2 cups rice
4 cups water
1/3 cup oil
1 packet of onion soup mix

Variation: Instead of water, I put a can of tomato sauce and used the can to measure out the remaining water. Also, I dumped a can of mushrooms into the bowl, THEN the rest of the stuff and cooked it in the microwave. Another note, I don’t have onion soup mix packets, so I measured out two tablespoons. After cooking, it looked like really nice Spanish rice, so I froze the leftovers for a side dish.

Take the chicken cutlets and pound them out really thin, they should look like a butterfly, NOT yet cut in half. Wrap it around a heaping glob of rice, and place it in a pan.

Sauce:

Chop an onion and sauté it. Add brown sugar, ketchup, water, and salt. Allow it to boil then pour over the chicken. Bake covered on 350 for an hour.

I baked it for less because on yom tov I leave my oven on.

PICTURE:

Last edited by ShakleeMom on Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 10:50 am
No, I'm not making Pinnk's honey cake; Imake my own.

I make a very good apple honey cake (my mother's recipe) and a delicious chocolate marble honey cake (Washington Post).

I also make one that's like a fruitcake, with oranges iirc. I'm not making it this year. But the recipe is posted here.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 11:22 am
Mevater wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Pink's honey cake
pomegranate salad
zucchini kugel
onion kugel

Which onion kugel? Is it posted on Imamother?

This one
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....onion

tm, thanks for the warning. I will start with 1 tsp salt, taste the batter, and then add more if I feel it needs it.

muffinsmommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:01 pm
Thanks ShakleeMom and PinkTichel for posting those recipes!

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:05 pm
muffinsmommy wrote:
Thanks ShakleeMom and PinkTichel for posting those recipes!

just remembered to post a pic, so I updated it.

BrachaC

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:37 pm
We are on weight watchers this year, so I made the Susie Fishbein Faux potato kugel last night. It is really a cauliflower kugel, but the one potato added in gives it more bulk. I made it in muffin tins and it came to 1 point per serving!! We enjoyed our tasting last night!

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:42 pm
BrachaC, which cookbook is it in?

achayl

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 7:35 pm
I just made, from Binah, the meat lasagne roll ups. It was very easy to make and looks fantastic!
I thought it would be a pain with the noodles boiling and spreading the meat on them, it was SO EASY!

A nice twist to a meal they already like!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 7:45 pm
bubby wrote:
BrachaC, which cookbook is it in?

It's in the KBD Lightens Up Cookbook. My sis said that it came out great, and that the little potato in there made the rest of the cauliflower taste like potato.

a1mom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:11 pm
I tried the chicken turnovers from mishpacha- delicious beyond belief but a lot of work!

cookielady

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:21 pm
I am making a honey brownie with chocolate honey frosting.

elf123

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:58 pm
Oh my, that reminds me there was an AMAZING honey cake/brownie recipe in one of Susie Fishbein's cookbooks (never made it, but ate it!) with like a cream cheese-honey frosting. I meant to try it...oh well, it will have to wait...between all the honey cakes and your PB-choc. cupcakes, there is no more room!

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 10:29 pm
funny you should ask ... dd just asked me the same thing ... and why I always make the same things for rosh hashonah ... well I said I won't make honey cake shock I think she understood

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 2:41 am
pinktichel wrote:
some new things:

apple purses (quick and kosher)
warm salmon salad (KBD)
salmon skewers over noodles (Mishpacha/Bina)
chef's salad (KBD)

Do you have a recipe for the salmon skewers - I'd like to make some for the second night.
I'm looking for something to serve them with as well.
I also tried the famous honey cake (I have two loaf pans in the freezer), and if I have time tomorrow I might make meat stuffed apples with honey sauce that I saw in a newspaper last friday. Otherwise, I might do meat stuffed mushrooms.

of I forgot to add that I'm looking for something interesting to do with chicken bottoms for shabbat morning (not too saucy).

TSR

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 10:14 am
elf123 wrote:
Oh my, that reminds me there was an AMAZING honey cake/brownie recipe in one of Susie Fishbein's cookbooks (never made it, but ate it!) with like a cream cheese-honey frosting. I meant to try it...oh well, it will have to wait...between all the honey cakes and your PB-choc. cupcakes, there is no more room!

I would love this recipe. Does anyone have it and would you mind typing it out? Thanks!

octopus

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 11:35 am
I'm going to be trying pinktichel's moist honey cake for y't. Going to iy'h bake tonight. Thanks pinktichel!

sky

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 11:46 am
Black eyed peas - found the recipe on here it was an amother but I didn't have anything better to make so I tried it - a bit sweet but will do.
Brisket

Either pomegranate salad or Apple salad with caramel - both from here - I haven't decided which yet. I'm not sure if the peanut butter will be a problem.

bashinda

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:09 pm
new things are apricot chicken (well I haven't made it in years), honey cookies, and maybe the salmon recipe, and YESHA's brownies with chocchip cookie on top.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus