Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
URGENT - HUSBAND ARRESTED
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:35 pm
Today for driving with suspended licence.
I am totally lost.
Any idea what will happen next?
Can he leave the US?
We were supposed to travel overseas tomorrow.
If you know how to find out the law, please please help me.
Tehilim for yochanan ben avraham.
Thanks.

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:37 pm
GET A LAWYER NOW!!

Where are you located?

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:53 pm
as far as I know, he should be released on bail within 24 hours. Th bail probably will be small as he is not a danger to society. But yes you need a lawyer, now!!!

amother

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:56 pm
whats his mothers name?

Mommy F.

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:58 pm
What country do you live in?

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:01 pm
he will probably stay for 1-3 days and be without a license for like 2 years or 18 months, and on watch. You need a lawyer... like everyone else said.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:02 pm
well they can't take his license away twice ... but they will re-suspend it ... he will be out in a few hours - with a court date to defend this charge ... make sure to mention he will be going out of the country for the holidays and to delay the court date till his return ...

and tell him to STOP driving !!!

costanza

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:05 pm
Why was the license suspended in the first place?

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:07 pm
Guess what, you cannot enter Canada if you have a DWI on your record! Hurray! So amother, although my heart goes out for you, I wonder where you were till now? I know this is mean, and tough love but please!

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:07 pm
the courts can appoint him a lawyer - if he can't afford one ... didn't they read him his rights ... that is what is stated in the miranda:

" You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense."

just a lot of detail - probably some monies for court fee and fine and another warning - good luck !!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:09 pm
(Licenses get suspended for reasons other than DWI)

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:09 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Guess what, you cannot enter Canada if you have a DWI on your record! Hurray! So amother, although my heart goes out for you, I wonder where you were till now? I know this is mean, and tough love but please!

where does it say it was for a DWI - driving while intoxicated ???

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
ShakleeMom wrote:

where does it say it was for a DWI - driving while intoxicated ???

just an example... so how does she think they will let him leave the country with *that* on his record?

beilariva

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:13 pm
I heard that they take Jewish people's passports in the US now. I am not sure I this only applies to Jews who are convicted of a crime or also to the suspected. I hope you get out of this one quickly!

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:16 pm
beilariva wrote:
I heard that they take Jewish people's passports in the US now. I am not sure I this only applies to Jews who are convicted of a crime or also to the suspected. I hope you get out of this one quickly!

what does this mean?

costanza

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:17 pm
Take their passports and do what with them?

Conspiracy theory anyone?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:20 pm
I think she's referring to the issue Rubashkin had where the judge decided it was a flight risk for a Jew since they have a "right to return" to E"Y.
It was majorly fought out. Others have had similar issues. Others have not.
But as a PP said, this is not such a major case.

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:21 pm
beilariva wrote:
I heard that they take Jewish people's passports in the US now. I am not sure I this only applies to Jews who are convicted of a crime or also to the suspected.

What on earth are you talking about? We haven't quite got to locking up Jews indiscriminately yet! Rolling Eyes

This is a driving violation, quite a serious one, but they don't take away "Jewish" passports. If, however, your DH is a flight risk & it's a serious charge, they may take it temporarily. Somehow, I don't think you'll be going away for RH, but I'm not a lawyer, I don't know DH's criminal history, so you need to ask. But I don't think it's smart to just try to sneak across the border...getting back may mean immediate arrest & no bail!

Lawyer up.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:22 pm
For certain things, when indicted or arraigned, etc. yes, sometimes passports are confiscated if someone is a flight risk out of the country.

Due to the Law of Return, its' very easy from an immigration standpoint, for a Jew to just up and move to Israel, and Israel does not have an arrangement for extradition back to the US.

Many non Jews in the US would not have such an easy time legally and permanently relocating (from an immigration standpoint) to another country.

So, anyone with a tie to another country they cuold flee to, especially if that country doesn't have precedence to extradite, could likely have their passports confiscated (for certain alleged crimes, etc)....it's just that ALL Jews, in theory, have a tie to such a country, from the standpoint of immigration.

This idea has consequences with regard to even non criminal adjudication (ie. family court and custody proceedings).

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:22 pm
costanza wrote:
Take their passports and do what with them?

Conspiracy theory anyone?

LOL Rolling Eyes Wink shock and so on & so forth.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed