Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
URGENT - HUSBAND ARRESTED
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:30 pm
my hub was also arrested for suspended licsence. dont get a lawer that was my mistake thay just charge u for nothing. I contacted mr. weiszer from willie hes the head of the shomrom here. he made sure my hub was out that same day.
please listen and call him he has big connections with the prisons.

good luck!

costanza

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
my hub was also arrested for suspended licsence. dont get a lawer that was my mistake thay just charge u for nothing. I contacted mr. weiszer from willie hes the head of the shomrom here. he made sure my hub was out that same day.

good luck!

Sounds like "Mr. Weiszer" is Tony Soprano.

auntie_em

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 2:20 pm
So, please don't anyone ask me how I know these things... embarrassed LOL I was going to post as amother...but decided not to (to avoid getting in the habit.)

But if nothing is weird about his case, he will be out today either on a signature,
or a small amount of money. Obviously, unless he is a repeat offender, or DUI or somethings very serious like that.

Consult with an attorney for advice, epecially if he has any other legal issues.

He will come home with a court date. DO NOT MISS this court date, for any reason, AT ALL. He will
be rearrested and then it can get much more serious.

He will also come home thirsty, hungry and fairly stressed out. Don't yell at him until tomorrow..lol. Jail is horrid, scary, and humiliating, especially for people who don't go there often.

What will be in court depends on why his license was suspended and his attitude to the Judge. Yes Sir, No Sir, or Ma'am. Dress nice, shave or have a nice looking beard, come early so you don't rush in. Remember, somewhere along the way he broke the law...be contrite.

I know to leave the state, you have to notify the court. I am not sure if they will let him leave the country, but it cannot hurt to ask.

My license was pulled because I failed to file papers to the state, and complete their pollution test.

Maybe save the money you will spend on the trip for his court costs, fees, and fines. It can really add up!

Good luck! The stress will pass eventually. Heck, we joke about it now. My family nic was Jailbird for awhile..lol.

beilariva

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 2:34 pm
BennysMommy wrote:
beilariva wrote:
I heard that they take Jewish people's passports in the US now. I am not sure I this only applies to Jews who are convicted of a crime or also to the suspected. I hope you get out of this one quickly!

what does this mean?

That the passport will be held since a Jew can escape to Israel. I heard it on Israel National Radio a few weeks ago.

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 2:39 pm
Tzvi Gluck can help you. PM me if you need more info.

chavamom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 2:39 pm
beilariva wrote:
BennysMommy wrote:
beilariva wrote:
I heard that they take Jewish people's passports in the US now. I am not sure I this only applies to Jews who are convicted of a crime or also to the suspected. I hope you get out of this one quickly!

what does this mean?

That the passport will be held since a Jew can escape to Israel. I heard it on Israel National Radio a few weeks ago.

I think this is only for high profile crimes where they are considered a flight risk. They aren't taking away every Jew arrested and confiscating their passport.

auntie_em

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 2:45 pm
In criminal matters, if any person is a "flight risk", and that means not only that they have a destination but the means to get there as well (either their own money or access to someone else's), they will take his/her passport. They do not take specifically Jewish people's passports!

There are many countries who either refuse, or hesitate to send people back in some very serious cases (ie capital murder) because of the US's routine use of the death penalty and somewhat poor track record of making sure that the person is truly guilty.

Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 2:58 pm
costanza wrote:
amother wrote:

good luck!

Maybe he is. Smile
But it's true, Mr. Weiser has helped people with suspended licenses get out of central booking, or wherever they are, that day.

A close friend of mine was in this situation.

Carefulmom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 3:27 pm
If you live in NY I worked for a ticket lawyer who can help you. His name is Zev Goldstein. If you want, you can PM me.

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 3:33 pm
costanza wrote:
amother wrote:

good luck!

Rolling Laughter Everybody's a comedian today! Truth is, though, getting arrested is serious stuff. I'm guessing OP isn't on because she had to bail out DH or something.

How many people drive on suspended licenses? That woman who killed the little boy in Willy on Shabbos is an example. No license, no car. That's the law...for a very good reason.

merelyme

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 3:36 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Israel does not have an arrangement for extradition back to the US.

There is an extradition treaty between Israel and the United States, dating from 1962.

Israel allows extradition of nationals [I.e., Israeli citizens], on condition that they would be allowed to serve their sentences in Israel. (source: Wikipedia referencing The International Legal Systems)

amother

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 3:39 pm
OP here.
His license was suspended following a car accident several years ago, (not driving under influence)where they passed a judgement against him and gave him a huge fine, of over 20 thousands dollars.The car was his brother's and the insurance just ran out the day before! We never had the amount for the fine, so they confiscated his drivers licence.
He doesn't drive on a regular basis and we know its risky.I am out of town and he took the car to pick up the kids passports from the israeli embassy. It is the first time it happened.

I assume he will take a free lawyer. We are supposed to fly out of US tomorrow for three months.(Not to EY and not Canada).

His arraignement is in a few hours.

My question is: will there be a bail for such a violation? What happens if we don't have the money for it? (We put all our savings in this trip).
Could it be that they don't let him out?
If they confiscate his US passport he can still go with his israeli, but how would he come back?

Thank you for the help sorting all this out! I just keep crying. I am at the airport on my way back and appreciate having all of you by my side at this time of crisis.

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 3:44 pm
OP, you DEFINITELY need a lawyer, but if you're going to be gone 3 months I don't see how he'll get his passport back. It's not like going to Montreal from NY for RH.

What's done is done, but you need to get this sorted out now. $20,000+ for a DV? Sounds insane! Maybe a lawyer can help you with everything, not just today's mess. Keep us updated.

BTW...why was he stopped today? Did he run a red light or something? Otherwise, how would they know his license was suspended?

Last edited by bubby on Wed, Sep 16 2009, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

merelyme

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 3:45 pm
much hatzlacha, op!
He will probably not be able to fly on his Israeli passport either as probably his name will be listed as "not allowed to leave the country."
hang in there. gam zeh yaavor. It should be a very big kapparah and you should have a kesivah vechasimah tovah.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:07 pm
merelyme wrote:
much hatzlacha, op!
He will probably not be able to fly on his Israeli passport either as probably his name will be listed as "not allowed to leave the country."
hang in there. gam zeh yaavor. It should be a very big kapparah and you should have a kesivah vechasimah tovah.

DO YOU KNOW THAT FOR SURE?

Barbara

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:10 pm
bubby wrote:
OP, you DEFINITELY need a lawyer, but if you're going to be gone 3 months I don't see how he'll get his passport back. It's not like going to Montreal from NY for RH.

What's done is done, but you need to get this sorted out now. $20,000+ for a DV? Sounds insane! Maybe a lawyer can help you with everything, not just today's mess. Keep us updated.

BTW...why was he stopped today? Did he run a red light or something? Otherwise, how would they know his license was suspended?

It does sound like there's some missing information -- why the traffic stop, for example. I also wonder whether the *fine* is a fee to be paid to the government for driving without insurance (illegal in many/most states), or if its actually to pay for damages to another vehicle or to govt property (eg arriers/ traffic lights), or injury to others.

One way or another, I think OP needs to get in touch with counsel to sort all of this out. I just don't know how the court is going to view the twin statements of *I still owe a fine of $20,000, and don't have any money to pay it* and *I have airplane tickets to take my whole family out of the country for 3 months* Also, there isn't always a right to counsel for those who cannot afford one; it only applies to felonies and certain misdemeanors AIUI; I have no clue as to whether it applies to offenses such as this.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:17 pm
Barbra,
Its not what you think.
The trip is a business trip that does NOT cost an arm and a leg.
I am not planning on bringing it up to court.

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:19 pm
amother wrote:
Barbra,
Its not what you think.
Then how will you find out if he can leave the country?

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
Barbra,
Its not what you think.

Maybe you should...that way the court will understand why he can't appear for another court appearance in 3 weeks time. OP, tell your lawyer EVERYTHING. Don't leave anything out. That's why there are lawyers, to help people get out of messes that they know nothing about. You know what they say: Only a fool has himself as a client (paraphrased). Leave things to the experts, but get a good lawyer!

Barbara

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
Barbra,
Its not what you think.

I've no opinion on the matter. I'm simply wondering what the court might think of it. That's what you need to be concerned with.

I know you're not planning on bringing it up to the court, but I certainly don't know what the court is going to bring up to you. Eg, released on own recognizance, but can't leave jurisdiction. Or released on own recognizance, next court date, November 1 (when he'll still be out of the country). I'm suggesting that you need to be prepared for that.

One way or another, good luck.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed