Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
My misgivings about crying in shul

ImaYerushalayim

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 1:51 am
I am premenstrual and I cry at the drop of a hat. I even got teary eyed when my parents wished me shana tova today. I am sure that I will cry my eyes out during davening, not out of dveikus, but because of hormones!! I will feel terribly silly in shul, and hypocritical. I just don't like the feeling of people seeing me cry when I know it's hormones.

I would appreciate (positive) input about how I can relate to this. My issue here is between me and myself. I thought of using the oppurtunity to really focus my davening on Hashem, and pretend they're real tears. Any other ideas?

Ksiva V'Chasima Tova to everybody.

grin

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 2:06 am
The tears themselves are real, even if not due to dveikus. I remember hearing that when chazal spoke of the gates of heaven never being locked before tears, that it also includes such tears. I even use my tears form peeling onions to davening for the geula so you can certainly do the same in shul.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 2:16 am
grin wrote:
The tears themselves are real, even if not due to dveikus. I remember hearing that when chazal spoke of the gates of heaven never being locked before tears, that it also includes such tears. I even use my tears form peeling onions to davening for the geula so you can certainly do the same in shul.

yea, we leaned in highschool that such tears that seem to b worthless could b uplifted in a second just by saying "Hashem please rebuild the bais hamikdash" and then you cud go back to crying abt whatever ur crying abt.

cityofgold

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 2:33 am
Thank you so much for posting this thread. I never heard that about using tears for anything--I'm also pretty emotional at times in my cycle and it always seemed like a waste to me...wow. this is really going to make a difference at many times in my life, IY"H!
one would hope that everyone will be too busy davening to pay attention to you Smile but maybe you'll help them--I know that seeing people crying when davening always makes me focus more.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 3:06 am
Whenever my husband sees me crying, even if it's for hormonal reasons, he reminds me that "sha'arei dim'a lo ninalu". The gates of tears are never closed. You're crying? Use those tears to do good "business" in Shamayim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur