Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
(((crying))) I hate nursing, hate the nursing profession
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 9:43 am
Nicole wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. I really felt so so much better just writing it all out, just getting it out, but really, each and every one of your replies is so comforting, and so considerate.
Mi k'amcha yisrael. Thank you so much.
(I'm waiting for someone to post anon and "yell" at me Very Happy

Too close to R"H. Give us a few days.
Seriously, you are under some serious stress. I hope that if you are able to reorganize your life,you can, easily, and that meanwhile you are able to see all the silver linings of your life.

If I had time, I would try to find the Calvin and Hobbes serenity prayer for you but I have no business being on the computer now.

chaimsmom

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 10:00 am
Calvin is walking with his tiger friend, Hobbes, and asks Hobbes, “Know what I pray for?” Hobbes asks, “What?” Calvin seriously replies, “The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can’t, and the incapacity to tell the difference.” Hobbes replies, “You should lead an interesting life.” Confidently Calvin says, “Oh, I already do!”

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 10:34 am
BTW I am a Kollel wife of 12 years B"AH B"H, and I am not and never was being supported. I have had similar sentiments to you, in this way:

I hated going to work leaving my kids with a babysitter. I cried while driving to work (though B"H I live in a town where there is no shortage of frum, caring babysitters. But I wished I was the one staying home with them).

I was sick of hearing the language of my coworkers, and I hated spending so many hours of my day in their presence.

From time to time I feel tremendous burn-out, and I wish I could just relax and stay home and not be living on a 12-day a year vacation that gets swallowed up by Yamim Tovim, and I even work on legal holidays in order to have enough days for Yom Tov. I hate working when my kids have Chanuka vacation, mid-winter vacation, etc....

and when I see my neighbors who are supported and/or living off the system, and they are able to sit home with their kids and they don't struggle constantly to juggle work and housekeeping and wifing and mothering.....

Every so often I blow my stack and vent to those around me, and then I try to change my focus and keep going. I remember that no one out there has it easy, even those who look like they might. I don't know what's really going on by others, and they may have challenges that I can't even imagine.....

HUGS, may Hashem send you a sweet new year.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 10:36 am
Not everybody has an option to run off when the going gets rough. I hope you can find a different department to transfer to!

jasmine

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 12:39 pm
HEY EVERYBODY, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CARING. I REALLY SHOULDT EVEN BE ON THIS COMPUTER RIGHT NOW, BUT DOWNSTAIRS FINISHING UP MY CHICKEN SOUP AND COOKING MY FISH HEAD, UGH!,
ANYWAY, REAL QUICK, TRANSFERING TO OTHER DEPARTMENTS IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME; REMEMBER I WAS LAID OFF...........NOT MUTUAL GOOD FEELINGS ABOUT THE PLACE
YES, I AM HITTING AGENCIES AND OTHER FACILITIES.............BUT WITH THE RECESSION IT IS NOT SO EASY AS WELL........AGENCIES , HEAD HUNTERS, ARE LIKE USED CAR SALESMEN....IF THEY SMELL MONEY, THEY ARE ALL SMILIES AND PROMISE YOU THE WORLD, AND YET, DELIVER LITTLE....
HOWEVER, IAM CONFIDENT THAT SOMETNING WILL TURN UP IN NICU HEY MAYBE EVEN BEING A TRAVEL NURSE...ONE AGENCY CALLED ME UP FROM HONOLULU FOR A 13 WEEK ASSIGNMENT NICU/PICU...MY HUSBAND HAD A BIG GRIN ON HIS FACE...I SAID SURE I WOULD CONSIDER IT IF THERE ARE TZISNUSDIK BEACHES...........ANYWAY, (DONT FGORET, MY CHILDREN ARE GROWN, FOR THOSE YOU ARE CONCERNED WITH BABY SITTERS) THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR GOOD SUGGESTIONS, IF ANY ONE OUT THERE HAS ANY LEADS PASS THEM ON...BROCHAS AND HATZLOCHA FOR ALL...........JASMINE!!!!

Nicole

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:36 am
Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I could take time off, but the whole reason I work to begin with is to put food on the table. We actually need the benefits (dh's job's benefits are negligible) so per diem isn't great for me right now,... but we'll keep looking...

pina colada

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:45 am
(((Hugs)))

Being away from the kids is tough

Perhaps you can look into home care or working at a doctor's office, where the hours are more flexible and the environment is better.

Last edited by pina colada on Mon, Sep 21 2009, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

MOMMYRN

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 11:03 am
sounds like u and I work in the same environment. I have learned to try and tune out the shmutz and be happ that at least I have a job that is in the field I love and it pays well enuf to help support my family. hey, it put my husband thru 6 years of school!! have you tried working per diem? the money is better and there is more flexibility if you wanna be home with the kids.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 3:30 pm
Hugs. Might life be better all around in Israel? You have family there, and a universally valuable skill. You can be viewed as a medic in general; you can also look after children, teach English, and tutor science and math. You may know Hebrew. You have a Yeshiva education and can tutor that too. You are quite seasoned and strong- you are a manager.
You can take care of old people. You can midwife. You can be a school nurse. You can teach first aid.
Hugs. L'Shana Tova.

ROFL

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 4:22 pm
Dolly. This thread is really old, I hope everything worked out for them all!

Nicole

Post Mon, Sep 02 2013, 11:20 pm
wow. This is amazing. I don't come on imamother that frequently anymore, and just happened upon this thread. Yes, b'h things are working out so much better for us now. Hashem led me to a super flexible, but still full time job. I work independently, so no nasty coworkers, or nivul peh to be heard. Hayipleh M'hashem davar? Thank you hkbh for reminding me today that you take care of me.

21young

Post Tue, Sep 03 2013, 12:17 am
So happy for you, Nicole! I work for a medical scrubs company and I spend lots of time on nurse blogs. I can't get over the amount of backstabbing and bullying, and I always wonder how the Jewish nurses stand it. I'm happy you're in a better place now!

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 7:29 pm
I know how you feel *****hugs*****

It was very difficult to get my first job, so I was excited that I took anything. I did not realize that I was being taken advantage of until a friend of mine invited me to work with her one day at her job. They loved me at her job and begged to hire me full time, but I knew they could not offer me 40 hours (I need 40 hours) and I was not yet at a year so I felt awkward leaving my job before a year. I had heard from people that it looks better on your resume if you stick it out for the entire year.

Mean time my regular job started cutting back hours and the manager started making demands of me that were not fair. I.e. I do not speak spanish leaving me in recovery room without a translator. Because I guess I had a taste of life outside of my regular job I started realizing how horribly my present boss was treating me.

So I asked him if he would mind if I took hours else where when he was limited on hours. He said no problem, but then the switch flipped and he started expecting me to drop the new job for him.

One day I stood up for myself, and he decided it was appropriate to tell the entire staff that they would be in trouble if they give me a break or lunch. So I worked 7 hours with no break, it was not until I demanded a lunch that he begrudgingly gave me one. After that I told him point blank, who ever calls me first gets my hours the other job is paying me more. A friend of mine told me he is ANGRY, but I am so beyond.

B"H I found another job just waiting for approval from the hospital owner..seems to be taking longer then expected

Nicole

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 7:48 pm
Good for you for standing up for yourself! Hope the new job works out. ;d

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 8:50 pm
jasmine wrote:
I know exactly how you feel. I recently worked in NICU intensive care for four years...my co-workers other nurses, were basically black, and me, a white jewish, frum female and older than most made for a very uncomfortable environment. Some were kind, warm hearted and funny; however most were hostile, unhelpful, crass with an attitude. Plus management focused on the negative, rather than the positive; morale was low, and often I went home dejected, deflated and demoralized; sublte anti-semitism, although hard to prove, but easy to "smell" permeated the environment as well.

There were some patients who were educated and appreciated the good that I did; but many were sullen and unfriendly and quick to report anything I did or might have done that was to their disliking.

I used to work in an environment like that, but not healthcare.

Many black people truly believe that all Jews are rich and we have no right to take away THEIR jobs. That's why it was the same double standard in the public schools where I worked. When a black woman curses at her students, it is never reported. When a Hispanic teacher hits her kids and threatens to kill their parents (I witnessed this and so have other teachers) it is swept under the rug.

But when a Jewish teacher misses one meeting because she was in the restroom when the announcement came over the loud speaker...

Yes, Nicole. They feel that you are stealing a black woman's job, and they will do everything to get you out.

Keep a diary/log of every incident that you were reported for and keep a running log on your fellow employees to have on hand if need be.

momof2boys

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 3:59 am
im working as a nurse the last 6+ years. Units can be rough, nivul peh for sure.

Switch units, go to a clinic, or work night shifts. I do nights now, do my thing, keep to myself and still very much around for my kids before and after school.

Get busy in something else at work.... like a second degree, a project, write an article. Read a book. Do something else so your coworkers see youre busy and not interested in chatting with their gossip.

Good luck.
Imo Anochi B'tzarah.... except that I LOVE what I do!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics