Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Turning off the phones for Yom Tov / Shabbos

amother

Post Sun, Sep 20 2009, 9:43 pm
How many of you turn off your phones for Shabbos and Yom Tov?

I was at a friends house on 2nd day Rosh Hashana in the afternoon, til after Yom Tov and my dh had a major fit when he could not reach me after Yom Tov. They had forgotten to reconnect their phones right away.

What do you do? What do you think?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 20 2009, 9:46 pm
??? seems normal to me.

We usually turn ours off with our current system, but before it was a pain so we'd often forget. Yes, one does have to be midnful to turn it back on right awway, but everything is strange with 2 day YT.

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:23 am
We don't bother. If our phone rings on Shabbat we know it's either a wrong number or an emergency. If it's an emergency it keeps ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing...

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:02 am
we never turned off the phone growing up. I have a sick grandmother so the phone was always on and if it rang, the machine was left on low so that one of us could always run to listen (BH so far it has never been about my grandmother on a shabbat)

now living in israel, we never turn our phone off. like marion said, if it rings on shabbat and rings and rings and rings, we can almost certainly be sure that it is an emergency.

Sudy

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:06 am
We always shut off the ringer.

We have a DSL line, and relatives/friends keep on calling from NY way into Shabbos. We shut off the ringer every night and before Shabbos.

Zus

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:22 am
We never turn off our phones. DH even uses his phone as a shabat alarm clock.
When there is a yom tov during the day, I do have to remember to turn off my phone alarm clock because it keeps ringing for an hour Smile

Zus

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:22 am
Oh and with certain phones, turning them off doesn't help because the alarm will still go off LOL

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:56 am
Mobile phones should be turned off obviously, but we keep our fixed-line phone. Isn't what the answering machine is for? (gets picked up by the answering machine after 5 rings, so don't think it's that irritating).

ss321

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 7:04 am
We never turn off our phones for YT.
Home phone system is turned to mute, so that you dont hear the phone ringing during the meal. but people can still call and leave messages

in terms of cell phones, I dont turn mine off over shabbos just in case there is an emergency. But aside from that, if you just turn a phone to SILENT, you can see who called you and didn't leave a message after Shabbos. if you turn it off, you have no missed call log. I want to see who called and when so we can figure out why. if the phone is off you might miss something. I dont understand the reasonining behind shutting off a cell phone (or a home phone system) in todays age of silent, vibrate and mute.

grace413

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 7:21 am
We turn off the cell phones to conserve the battery charge. Then of course, we forget to turn them back on. In the US we turned off the regular phone because it rang constantly. In Israel we don't turn it off because it rarely ever rings; when it does, as it it did this Friday, it was a relative from the States calling to say Shana Tova, just half an hour too late.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 8:09 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Mobile phones should be turned off obviously, but we keep our fixed-line phone. Isn't what the answering machine is for? (gets picked up by the answering machine after 5 rings, so don't think it's that irritating).
why is this obvious? just curious? I know people who leave there cell phones on 24/7.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 8:16 am
obvious among my family and friends, for both conserving the battery and for avoiding those irritating ringtones (am I the only one to find mobile ringtones far more obnoxious than the regular phone?)

louche

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 9:49 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
obvious among my family and friends, for both conserving the battery and for avoiding those irritating ringtones (am I the only one to find mobile ringtones far more obnoxious than the regular phone?)

No, you are not. I tried to get a ringtone that sounded like a regular phone. IMO a phone should sound like a phone, a fire alarm should sound like a fire alarm, a crying baby should sound like a crying baby, and never the twain should meet. Although it's not necessarily that the varied ringtones themselves are obnoxious, just that they ring in places where a landline phone does not, IOW, everywhere. On the bus, in a classroom, at a meeting, in stores, on the street, in theaters, funeral homes , wedding chapels, hospital rooms...

There are some "ring"tones that are in and of themselves obnoxious: rap music, someone yelling "pick up the @$&*!! phone," and the like. But if you find a particular tone obnoxious, why are you using it?

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:13 pm
always turn off the ringer ... nobody needs to reach me ... and I turn it on when I damned well please ... which is sometime the next morning - when I feel like it ...

what's a cell phone ?!?!?! it's like you're all imprisoned by your calls ...

it's not shabbos'dik to hear the phones - it's annoying ... there is no need to hear your machine going and who it is ... nor a ring ... Banging head ...

when I hear a phone ring at someone's house on shabbos or yom tov - I feel like they've violated the day of rest ...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:49 pm
Some ppl jump right back into voch.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:52 pm
We don't turn it off, when someone calls it's either someone who doesn't know us too well or a classmate, the wrong number or an emergency..

Merrymom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:38 pm
We always turn ours off and everyone knows it.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 11:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Some ppl jump right back into voch.

not me - I prefer lingering in the quiet ... singing "fare thee well ... " "henai kel yeshuasi ..." etc Music

Merrymom

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 1:41 am
I don't think the OP's DH should be mad at the people she was visiting but rather they should have made up that she would call him after Shabbos and when. The way I see it is that phones and doorbells are a major intrusion on my privacy. They should be there for communication when I want it, not necessarily when someone else wants it. When our phone system put our doorbell out of commission during a blackout about two years ago, I never bothered fixing it, because I loved the silence. Sure, some people must have decided we were ignoring them when really we couldn't hear them but honestly I don't care. Most people that know us knock, the UPS just leaves the packages as well as the pharmacy. Sometimes the neighborhood kids get to sell their raffles but probably more often they don't. No one can reach us immediately after Shabbos unless they call our cellphone and only people that we are very close with have that number. All calls that we miss go to our voicemail and I call people when I feel like it. During the week I generally allow all calls to go to voicemail too, except for those numbers that are programmed with a special ring so I know it's someone I want to talk to like my children's school or my family. I probably annoy so many people doing this but nobody owns me and I'm not at anyone's beck and call just because I have a phone and once upon a time a doorbell.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics