Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hurray chicken pox
1  2  Next

micki

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 10:17 am
so my 6 yr old came down with checken pox on the first day of pesach. it was quite a challenge! no oatmeal baths- so we did plain water baths. my MIL had no benadryl at home so we had to go to a grocer who allowed us to come back moitzei shabbos to pay!
I hope the rest of my kids get it, but so far nothing! I tried so hard to infect them! they bathed together, I had the 6 yr old lick spoons and give it to them- we have a few more days to see if anyone will come down with it...

amother

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 10:35 am
I'm almost 8 months pregnant and just got over the chicken pox before Pesach. Never had them as a kid. My kids did not get it..they've all been vaccinated. It was pretty scary in terms of being pregnant...lots of extra tests. B"H the baby is fine. Keep your kids away from pregnant women! Most people have it when they are kids, but there are those that have not. I was very lucky that it wasnt the beginning (up to 20 weeks) or the very end of pregnancy (2 weeks before delivery) as there could have been complications!

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 10:39 am
the incubation period is something like 2 or 3 weeks. so your next kid will only get it in a few weeks.

micki

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 10:41 am
yes you are lucky! and I was very careful- every person who came to the door I asked if they had chicken pox.
wow I never heard of it actually happening to an adult!

how is it you never had them? did they test you for immunity?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 10:56 am
I was exposed COUNTLESS times! I even taught in an elementary school! I've been exposed while pregnant. Never anything. What we think happened (although we are not sure) is that I was exposed over Purim. My son had about 6 spots and a few days later I had a huge case. The incubation time was too short, so I did not get them from him. He had been vaccinated for chicken pox a few days after Purim which may be why he got such a mild case or his may simply have been a reaction from the shot. I was told you can not get it from someone who has been vaccinated (and I had not from my four other kids previously!). We went away for Purim and I heard that it was going around then. I think it was just a strange bunch of coincidences and no one will every really know what happened! I didn't even find out it was chicken pox until after I was no longer contagious b/c my dr thought it was just a pregnancy rash shock I had a biopsy from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis ( I didn't go anywhere b/c I disagreed with my dr and was sure I had chicken pox!) As far as being immune, I had a blood test years ago that said I was, although blood tests, I was told, are not always 100% in this case.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 11:24 am
DD had similar, kept getting exposed but not sick. Eventually she got a good case of it!

shopaholic

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 5:21 pm
Didn't your kids have the vaccine? They give it at a year. Now I feel safe that we'll never have to go thru what my mother did - 3 kids got it at the same time.

ektsm

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 6:44 pm
Yeah it's very importnat to give that at a year.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 6:51 pm
the shot isn't lifetime guaranteed, you know.......

chavamom

Post Fri, Apr 21 2006, 7:51 pm
SaraG wrote:
the shot isn't lifetime guaranteed, you know.......

And not 100% effective either.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Apr 22 2006, 11:45 pm
Ok, but the chances of getting pox must be pretty low, no? Wouldn't you rather lower the chance of getting it?

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2006, 2:05 am
momof3 wrote:
Ok, but the chances of getting pox must be pretty low, no? Wouldn't you rather lower the chance of getting it?

No, I'd rather that they get it young and have lifetime immunity rather than a shot that gradually wears off and might not be effective when they are older and the disease is more dangerous (not to mention that they could get it while pregnant!).

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 23 2006, 12:47 pm
never had chicken pox myself-been exposed numerous times. was tested when took pregnancy blood once and came back not immune. that pregnancy ended in emergency c-section. my older three visited me in the hospital, and in the ride home, my oldest broke out w/ chicken pox. 2 weeks later my girls got it, and then when the baby was 3 1/2 weeks old he got it too! I nursed him the whole time bfore and during-and still I did not get it.
at this point, I really feel I should get the shot, but never get around to it.....

shopaholic

Post Sun, Apr 23 2006, 7:30 pm
Chavamom, The shot wears off? I don't think so. Otherwize, you'd have to get it every so often like a flu shot, once a year. But to each his own. I personally would rather not have my kids get anything that can be avoided (ie- with a shot)

micki

Post Sun, Apr 23 2006, 8:45 pm
none of my other kids got it yet! and no I do not immunize for it.
don't want to- would rather they get the disease and be immune for life.
I was speaking to a friend here in town whos kids were all immunized, and now they all have chicken pox! I think my dd got it from her son, they are good friends.
so my friends doctor gave her this form to fill out, she has to count how many pox they have, where its concentrated the duration etc...
and he told her that the vaccine has been wearing off after a few years, its only been tested to have immunity for 10 years- if it gets to that, and that he does not reccomend anyone getting the vaccine anymore. too many cases of it not being effective!
in the percentages its only 70% effective anyway.
so tomorrow I will take my kids over to rexpose them again. you think I need to do that?
my baby had a mild fever on shabbos for a few hours. you think its the start?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 23 2006, 10:25 pm
Micki, now you are getting me completely paranoid! I think I'll try to expose my vaccinated kids too, will that help??? What Help Sad , this whole vaccinate/not to vaccinate is driving me CRAZY!!!!!

nicole81

Post Sun, Apr 23 2006, 11:37 pm
I totally forgot that dd was getting her chicken pox vaccine at one year. my mistake, I forgot to ask the doctor exactly what he was giving her. I meant to opt out of that one, but missed the opportunity. what age do they get the booster for it? I suppose I could have her not get it, but I wonder if that could be dangerous in any way.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 23 2006, 11:52 pm
Here's a link to a discussion about the vaccine -

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....&

chavamom

Post Mon, Apr 24 2006, 1:20 am
momof3 wrote:
Chavamom, The shot wears off? I don't think so. Otherwize, you'd have to get it every so often like a flu shot, once a year. But to each his own. I personally would rather not have my kids get anything that can be avoided (ie- with a shot)

A study was released last year that showed a significant decline in effectiveness after only ONE YEAR. This is not an issue of 'belief' but one that has been demonstrated to be true. And yes, they are debating having to get 'booster' shots, but it is not an official recommendation and they aren't sure how far apart to space them, etc.

micki

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 2:11 pm
ok so the 4 , 3 and 7 yr old all have it now!
its just the early stage- they are still tiny.
and the fun begins.
I didn't realize how limiting it would be!! not that I am complaining, I just have to rejuggle the schedules.
anyone want chicken pox? come on over!

what do you think, my niece was exposed to my kids, and now she cannot go back to school until the whole incubation period is over.
there is a baby who is going thru chemo, and they are being careful that anyone who was exposed to chicken pox and other diseases should not go to school to expose the baby's siblings.
so my neice will be home for a bit.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics