Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Should I pay a part-timer for a day off?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 9:25 am
Ora, it wasnt her BIL. She told me something vague and I was talking to someone who knew her and they told me it's just someone they know, it was not a relative to her at all. And the fact that she came to work after this person passed.....he passed for a week before he got buried. They have different customs. But it def wasnt her BIL or even a relative to her at all.

Secondly, her salary was re-evaluated. We started paying part of her commute which equaled 5 dollars more a day that she worked. For her salary and the hours she worked, she was being paid extremely fairly, trust me, I asked around and I found out what alot of people pay and we were right on target with her salary.

marina

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 10:31 am
Quote:
Normally she works 9:15-4:30 and I pay 75 dollars a day

Ten bucks an hour for cleaning and babysitting is not extremely generous, btw.

It totally doesn't matter and is completely beside the point of either thread. You can pay them how much you want and fire your employees at your whim. You can let people go when you've decided that her salary does not fit in your budget. All of that is fine.

What's not fine is finding out that you've made someone cry hysterically and then worrying, not about how terrible it is that you've hurt another person so deeply and what a terrible sin that is before yom kippur, but worrying about that person's "work attitude" for the following week.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 10:38 am
I was not supposed to know she was crying after she left my house. I was told by someone who met her on the train and it was confidential.
As I said, she was crying because she felt she should have been paid more for the Rosh Hashana days. Again, I wasnt supposed to know she was upset about it.
As you know, she made 75 a day. On RH she worked 1 regular day and one day for 3 hours and we gave her 200. Normally 2 full days makes 150. She worked a day and a half and made 200. And that was why she cried hysterically. Marina, if you think I made her cry by the amt I gave her, please say so. But I didnt make her cry by words as you keep implying.

marina

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 10:52 am
I don't know what you are not understanding.

It does not matter how much you paid or whether it was fair or not, although it does not seem to me that it was excessively generous from your post. All that matters was your selfish attitude- when you found out that someone was crying because of the way you treated her, whether she was justified or not, all you could think about was how she won't be such a good worker next time. Not about how sorry you are that your actions resulted in this woman's hurt feelings.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 11:06 am
Excessively generous? No. But fair and reasonable? Yes. In a recession, I think we paid failry for her services those days. I went over it a million times in my head and felt what we did was fair every time I broke it down. AFTER I came to that conclusion then I began to worry that since SHE didnt find it fair, how was she going to be in my house after that.

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 11:55 am
amother wrote:

On Tues she told me her BIL passed and she was finding out when the funeral was.

whether or not it was her BIL which you clearly stated it was in your OP ... she was at a funeral where someone died and got buried ... clearly emotions were high ... and sensitivity needed to be used

amother

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 12:09 pm
yes she told me it was her BIL.
A few days later I was speaking to someone who knows her and I just asked this other person if they also knew the man who had passed and they said no and I said oh well it was x's BIL and they said no it wasnt it wasnt a relative of hers at all it was someone who lived near by to her who she knew but not her BIL. I didnt make anything of it, if she referred to him as her BIL that was fine. And I didnt ask her to work the full 3 days that week because I figured she needed some time so I told her to tell me when she can work and I would be flexible and that any time she wanted to come in worked for me, I could use her whenever she was free, which was how this all started because she only worked 2 days that week.

soldat

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 2:21 pm
melalyse wrote:
I work part time - per hour. I work 3 days a week and I only get paid the hours that I work.
My baby sitter works per hour for the 3 days that I hire her for. If she doesn't work, she doesn't get paid. If I use her more, I pay her more. Totally based on per hour.

this is what I made up with my baby sitter BEFORE I hired her.
I do my best to find ways to use her when we have days off such as yom tov - but she understands, I already pay her a huge precentage of my salary, and if she doesn't come- I have to pay someone else to replace her.

ora_43

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 5:48 pm
amother wrote:
Ora, it wasnt her BIL. She told me something vague and I was talking to someone who knew her and they told me it's just someone they know, it was not a relative to her at all. And the fact that she came to work after this person passed.....he passed for a week before he got buried. They have different customs. But it def wasnt her BIL or even a relative to her at all.

I was just going based on what you wrote in your previous posts.

Quote:
Secondly, her salary was re-evaluated. We started paying part of her commute which equaled 5 dollars more a day that she worked. For her salary and the hours she worked, she was being paid extremely fairly, trust me, I asked around and I found out what alot of people pay and we were right on target with her salary.

If you can't raise her salary or don't want to, that's your choice. I just don't understand your attitude of being upset that she asked for more money. You indicated that she might get more money later, so she asked about it. You said you weren't going to give her more money after all, so she said she accepts that you can't pay her more. How does that scenario get interpreted as her being pushy about money?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry