Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Kohanim in your shul ?
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 12:44 pm
I think we only had one on RH; the duchuning was not loud at all !!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 12:47 pm
At least you had one!

Sometimes at my parent's shul, there aren't any at all.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 12:48 pm
Not sure what duchuning is, but Kohanim are pretty common in our community and Shul.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 12:55 pm
We have one Kohein family (and this year that meant the baal habayis and 2 of his sons still at home), and the nussach of the shul we daven in is Sefard. So even though they are lubav, and over half the shul is lubav, they didn't sing at all to allow us to say our davenning during the last brochah (nussach ari) which they normally do. It was strange bc they usually do sing something (even though that's not the lubav tune or nor that of the chazzan either).

downsyndrome

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:12 pm
Our shul always has at least 2 Kohanim - my husband and my son Very Happy .

Tova

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:36 pm
My husband's also a Kohen.

I can't wait 'til my son is old enought to duchen w/ him (my husband said he'll take him up for chinuch purposes at @ age 6-7).

flowerpower

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:37 pm
Dh was the only one in his shul.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:40 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Not sure what duchuning is, but Kohanim are pretty common in our community and Shul.

It's the blessing the cohanim make over the congregation at the end of mussaf repetition during the high holidays (ok, I know it's done every week in Israel and in some sefardi shuls, but you know what I mean).

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:45 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:

It's the blessing the cohanim make over the congregation at the end of mussaf repetition during the high holidays (ok, I know it's done every week in Israel and in some sefardi shuls, but you know what I mean).

Birkat Kohanim...thanks.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:46 pm
Yeah, I had a brain freeze and couldn't get those words out of my mouth! That's a much better way of putting it!

YALT

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:56 pm
Until I went to Sem, I never knew there existed a problem of no kohanim for duchaning.
I wondered why after thousands of years the problem was created. Then I realized. My father & brothers are kohanim, so wherever we were, there were always kohanim.

My sister's shul has it backwards. They have kohanim, but no leviim. Obviously, we don't miss out on anything, BH, but it's just funny.

JC

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 5:02 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
It was strange bc they usually do sing something (even though that's not the lubav tune or nor that of the chazzan either).

Was that on both days or just Shabbat day of RH? They dont sing on shabbat because (according to Rav Art Scroll) you dont say the Ribono Shel Olam or Yihi Ratzon on Shabbat.

LibraMommy

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 5:05 pm
At my inlaws shul there are hardly any Kohanim ever and though I was disappointed I wasn't surprised that there weren't any Kohanim on RH.

Tova

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 5:28 pm
YALT, I have heard that there are much more Kohanim than (regular; non-Kohen) Leviim.

This is due to the galus aseres hashevatim (but Kohanim were living throughout Yehuda and Binyamin).

octopus

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 5:34 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:

Birkat Kohanim...thanks.

I think it is a hebrew yiddishism (the word duchaning). a duchan is a platform which the kohanim got up on to say the birkat kohanim.

cookielady

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 5:48 pm
dh and sons are the Kohanim in shul, sometimes one or two others. Very few levi'im.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 6:22 pm
my dh is a levi & he has a number of brothers. my sil's husband is a kohen & they all attack him when it's time to wash hands after kedushah. they wash his hands & his sleeves, etc & so forth. so now when they are all together, he runs out of shul to grab the first (non-family) levi & run back in before they come out. it's pretty funny actually.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 2:35 pm
In my ex community there was no Cohen and sometimes no Levi.

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 4:02 pm
Tova wrote:
YALT, I have heard that there are much more Kohanim than (regular; non-Kohen) Leviim.

This is due to the galus aseres hashevatim (but Kohanim were living throughout Yehuda and Binyamin).

I haven't noticed a lack of leviim, but I guess that is since both my family and my in laws are leviim. There do seem to be equal numbers, I would say.

At least we feel no pressure to produce boys first in my family. Rolling Eyes I never realised this was an issue till I read it on here.

im my kids ima

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 4:47 pm
Tova wrote:
My husband's also a Kohen.

I can't wait 'til my son is old enought to duchen w/ him (my husband said he'll take him up for chinuch purposes at @ age 6-7).

thats funny bc my dh is also a kohen and hes taking my ds (whos 5yrs old) to duchen since he was out of dipers. my dh is almost always the only kohen so I get to hear him and my ds. u can easly find me crying of joy to hear them durring brichat kohanim. for me its the best part of davening. gmar chatima tovah to all. and all the brochot from the kohanim ++
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur