Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Need an idea how to present fruits/veggies to kids

curlytop

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 9:26 am
I need to do a presentation to an elementary school classroom to encourage the kids to eat healthy. It should be some sort of project with fruits/veggies that looks exciting and the kids should be involved in making it. Any ideas?
Kids will be between 7-11ish.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 9:38 am
I've seen fruit cut up as flowers and put on skewers ... god's candy ... Mr. Green

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 10:40 am
Ants on a log: Cut up celery for log, smear peanut butter on it and put raisins as ants. What

bella

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 10:47 am
They can use cut up or whole small fruits and veggies to make animals or faces, or monsters.

One way to get kids to eat veggies is to fill them with something yummy - like "ants on a log" which is celery usually filled with peanut butter, but you can substitute cream cheese or even cottage cheese. You can also use a spoon or melon baller to hollow out cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini. You can also stuff peppers - raw ones are great with cottage cheese or salads, like tuna.

Fruit kabobs are simple yet fun and you can use a combination of fruits and veggies.

Fruit and veggie fondu is good, but usually the dips are not so healthy. You can probably make a healthier version than chocolate and cheese. Maybe yogurt and low fat dip.

Fruit/veggie bar, where they choose from a selection of items and make their own sundaes/salads.

Bigger fruit like melon can be cut by the parent/teacher into large slices and then cut out with cookie cutters.

SingALong

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 4:14 pm
U can do a veggie flower basket. Cut 1/2 purple cabbage and place flat side down. Place on skewer like a cucumber circle, carrot circle and a cherry tomato. U can also make a shape out of kol rabi or a radish rose.
I also place around cabbage mound sticks of peppers, cucumbers, carrots, green beans, etc
u can cut an indentation into cabbage for dressing

anonymom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 5:52 pm
How about a monopoly junior game (or any board game that has colored spaces or dice or cards, etc)where if you land on a color, or pick a chance card, you have to eat a veggie in that color.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 4:04 am
For older kids, some science experiement/arts crafts using vegetable colours?
* cut up red cabbages, see how colour changes with a drop of lemon juice
* puree red peppers, carrots, yellow peppers, boiled spinach, boiled beetroots with water, you can use them for veggie paints

Or you can make a slide on how different types of cuisines using vegetables.
Chinese--vegetable stir-fry, Tex/Mexican--vegetarian chili, French--salad nicoise, Japanese--vegetarian sushi or tempura, Indian--has the highest % of vegetarians

curlytop

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 7:46 am
anonymom wrote:
How about a monopoly junior game (or any board game that has colored spaces or dice or cards, etc)where if you land on a color, or pick a chance card, you have to eat a veggie in that color.

Sounds like a good idea, I think I want it more hands-on with the fruits/veggies, though

curlytop

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 7:46 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
For older kids, some science experiement/arts crafts using vegetable colours?
* cut up red cabbages, see how colour changes with a drop of lemon juice
* puree red peppers, carrots, yellow peppers, boiled spinach, boiled beetroots with water, you can use them for veggie paints

Or you can make a slide on how different types of cuisines using vegetables.
Chinese--vegetable stir-fry, Tex/Mexican--vegetarian chili, French--salad nicoise, Japanese--vegetarian sushi or tempura, Indian--has the highest % of vegetarians

Kids are too young for this, will get way too complicated... interesting ideas!

curlytop

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 7:48 am
SingALong wrote:
U can do a veggie flower basket. Cut 1/2 purple cabbage and place flat side down. Place on skewer like a cucumber circle, carrot circle and a cherry tomato. U can also make a shape out of kol rabi or a radish rose.
I also place around cabbage mound sticks of peppers, cucumbers, carrots, green beans, etc
u can cut an indentation into cabbage for dressing

This sounds very interesting.

I may go ahead with this... although I am very bad with these things, I will have to try it out myself first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries