Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Making sandwiches every day vs freezing??

ABC

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:35 am
I make sandwiches every day for my kids for school and for dh.

Has anyone had any success with making a batch once a week and freezing them, so each morning I would just need to take them out and voila, rather than making sandwiches every night?

Marion

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:49 am
Most sandwich fillings (that I've eaten) do NOT freeze & defrost well. And then the bread gets soggy too. I'm not sure it's worth it. Maybe spend the time teaching your kids & DH how to make their own sandwiches?

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 2:52 am
I've never tried it so I can't say for sure but the idea of a defrosted sandwich really doesn't sound too good. Maybe if it were going to be toasted first and served warm. But just to send off to school? Probably would be fairly soggy and gross.

LoveMyFamily

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 4:07 am
If the bread starts off frozen, then it works. Freeze loaf, spread butter, creamcheese, peanutbutter, etc, then freeze.

sped

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 4:15 am
You can also do chumus, techina, I think even jam would work.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 4:22 am
PB&J, I understand but don't y'all put some veggies like cucumber, lettuce, lettuce, cress in sandwiches? Don't think you can freeze them. But you sure can prepare them the night before.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 5:14 am
My mother used to freeze sandwiches for me when I went to day camp. It was definitely fine, I never remember it being soggy. Usually they were coldcut sandwiches. I can't remember if there were lettuce and tomato, I guess not.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 5:20 am
I wouldn't freeze most sandwiches, but you could prepare a few fillings before hand to make it easier. Egg salad will keep a few days, tuna...what type of sandwiches are you making?

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 7:55 am
I've done it with PB&J and cream cheese sandwiches and they were fine.

Raisin

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 9:20 am
I remember one of my classmates doing it when I was stayed at her house. On sunday, each kid would make sandwiches for the week.

I guess some fillings would work, you probably need to experiment.

I should really do this, but my freezers are stuffed as it is.

youngbubby

Post Wed, Oct 14 2009, 12:31 pm
I make lunches everyday and I would never freeze the sanwiches. The whole idea is that the lunch should be tasty so that the child or adult should want to eat it. There are some other shortcuts to take when making lunches. Cutting up a 9x13 cake and freezing it in baggies way it is already cut for u and ready. And we all know cake freezes fine. You can cut up vegies and put them in zip lck ind. baggies and put them in lunches everyday. Same with snack food some people like to buy yhr big bag of chips rct. so buy iy and package it at home all at one time then u have to just put it in a lunch bag. It all works but it takes orginization. I like to make the sandwhiches the morning they are taking them so they are fresh. Everyone has their own mishagas and that is one of mine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics