Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Hats and scarves and mittens, oh my!

SingALong

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 2:01 pm
so now that the cold has settled in and I stocked up on hats/glove/mittens/scarves for the kids, im trying to figure out the best way to keep everything organized in the coat closet. I try the buckle thing to just keep accessories attached to the coat but it doesnt always stay. also, I have spare hats/gloves cuz im expectng my kids to lose at least a few things over the winter. so how to keep everything best organized.

I'm guessing keeping everything in shoeboxes/clear containers in the closet is good. I'm just wondering if its best to do a box per individual, like a box of my stuff, a box for DH, a box for each kid?
or better to divide boxes by category like all hats in one, all gloves in the other...

anyone out there have good winter accessory organizing tips?

risa

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:51 pm
we solved this one awhile ago. over the door shoe hanging thing with clear plastic pockets. best invention ever.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:58 pm
shoe organizers are good. I use a hanging cubby thing in my closet. it has about six cubbies and side net pockets. each cubby is for something different: hats, scarves, etc. I pair up the mittens and stick them in the side pockets so they don't get lost in the cubbies.

http://www.homestorageusa.com/.....0.jpg

that's what I have.

louche

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 10:26 am
I second--third?--the shoe pocket hanger thing on the door.

diva

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:26 pm
Wherever you store the hats etc. it should be categorized according to item, ex. hats in one, scarves in another etc. That way when someone loses his hat it'll be easier to locate a spare.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 12:11 pm
Our front closet is actually roomy enough for something extra, so I put in a plastic set of slim drawers with all the stuff. Trying to remember how I kept it all together when they were little. The glove clips were helpful.

rivk241

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 12:23 pm
watch the today show- from today there is a sement on this!

Marigold

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 12:43 pm
I have a shelf on top of the rack of coats. In clear bins from the the container store, I put all the hats in one, mittens in another, scarves in yet another. They look neat and nice.

tziviakayla

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 12:54 pm
Once, I spent an entire afternoon going through all the hats, mittens, and scarves. I sorted everything by size, and put each size into it's own huge ziploc bag. I then put all the bags into a large bin. All of the unmatched mittens were put into a bag that I hung in the closet. Everything looked so nice and neat... for about a week. Then everyone got tired of finding their plastice bags and starting just dumping everyhthing into the bin itself. Another week passed and we had a full bin and empty plastic bags, and the bag of "no matches" just got fuller!

Now, we keep a big bin in the closet for everything. We have a bench with hooks for all the coats. The bench opens up, so I store the snow pants, raincoats, and lightweight jackets. In the spring, I flip all the winter coats with the raincoats and lightweight jackets. The snow pants always stay in there since we only use them to play in the snow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics