Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Last minute questions before I give birth bezh

hinda

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 12:56 pm
Can any of you help me with some answers to my small details that id like to iron out in the next few days?
1. My nurse told me I may sweat profusely with fluids for the first two weeks.If this was your experience,what did you do? Change linen every day? Sleep with towels on your bed or what?
2. Did anyone use the hands free pumping bra?
3.Anyone have good phone/headset combo to recommend?
4.Do I need a twin diaper bag or is a single good enough?
5. Did you need more help during the daytime or night time hours int he first few weeks? I will be having a c section)
6. The best gift someone could have/gave you is ????

Zus

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 2:25 pm
1. Yeah the sweating thing. I just took showers and changed my night gown all the time.

2. Nope never did.

3. No, sorry.

4. Definitely twin.

5. Yeah I needed more help, especially during the day when DH wasn't home. I gave birth normally though. Why do you need a C?

6. Depends which # baby(ies), boys? girls?

WriterMom

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 2:35 pm
Hands free pumping bra - you can surf the net while pumping! Smile

But I bought a "real" one, found it expensive and not great, and sort of converted one of my normal nursing bras with a couple of elastics, to hold the suction cups in place hands-free.

Good luck!

neverbored

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 3:11 pm
I managed with a single diaper bag, and needed plenty of help during the night AND day. Don't know or remember the answers to the other questions.

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 3:14 pm
1. never heard of the sweating thing b'h,did the nurse say it happens in multiple births?
2. nope never heard of it,sounds cool though
3. no sorry, you probably won't have much time to talk on the phone for the first few months Wink
4. I liked having 2 diaper bags. But I also had a boy and a girl that were different sizes. So they each had a bag with their name with their own size clothes and diapers . . .
5. I didn't have a c-section b'h. Most of the help we got was during the day. That's just when helpers were available. Although my mother stayed at our house for the first 3 weeks after the twins were born so she helped out at night.
6. My parents gave us a great double jogging stroller (that was a good gift we still use it sometimes and the twins are already 4!)

B'shaa Tova!

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 3:16 pm
I also had a regular diaper bag, or just a backpack I used at school. I used a regular avent hand pump and it did the trick just fine. I didn't have any help, I guess I would wait and see what you need. As far as gifts, what do you need? My twins were my first so I got all the usual baby gear (I had one of everything except car seats). I also used my carrier a lot (I had a wrap).

Kumphort

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 3:40 pm
1. Just prepare another set of PJs if you need to change in the middle of the nite, I had this with single babies too, not just with twins.
2. How often are you planning on pumping? between feeding two babies I dont have that much time to pump, and just use an avent hand pump when I can
3. nothing to recommend I know you were looking for a cordless, panasonic makes good cordlesses that are hedset compatable
4. I am still using the diaper bag that the hospital gave out nothing fancy
5. wait and see how the babies behave, if you need help during the nite during the day, do you need cleaning help, help with other kids etc

malky613

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 6:59 pm
B'sha'ah tovah! My twin girls are now almost 15 months old. Time flies! Enjoy the craziness.

1. Definitely sweated a lot. Keep an extra set of pjs, nursing bra nearby so you can change easily. Keep a bottle of water near your bed so you can drink to replenish fluids. I also changed pillow cases a lot and kept a washcloth/cup of water to cool myself off.
2. hands-free bra - always meant to order it, never got around to it. I improvised with props.
[For those questioning finding time to pump -- I had to pump endlessly to increase my supply, even immediately after nursing. Especially important for c-section moms. Especially important if you need to build up an extra supply so you can catch some sleep while someone (father / hired help) takes care of one feeding.]
3. phone/headset: didn't love mine, so no. I found that the Panasonic ones made the volume so much lower. I used speakerphone.
4. diaper bag - definitely twin, but you don't have to get an actual diaper bag. My mom bought me a gorgeous oversized bag with lots of outside zippered pockets that works perfectly. I use ziplock bags to organize diapers, spare clothes, etc on the inside. You can buy clips to convert any bag into a stroller bag. If you want an actual diaper bag, the SkipHop Duo Double Deluxe looks awesome but is pricey at $80. I am still eyeing it...
5. Help night or day - depends on your twins' schedule and your husband's schedule. If the babies sleep the same time during the night so you can catch 3-4 hrs of sleep, you might need help more daytime. My twins did not sleep or nap together until 3 months despite trying all methods. You'll just have to wing it until you figure out their rhythms. Get whatever help you can at all times until you figure it out. My mother stayed with me the first week and then I had a night nurse for 2 weeks after that, with family coming during the day whenever they could. In retrospect I could have used a lot more help those first months. (I had a c-section too, but I felt the recovery was much easier than anticipated once I was home and on meds. The 2-3 days post-birth at the hospital were the hardest for me, physically.)
6. Best gift.... gift cards / bundle mes / $$ toward an incredible stroller

Also, make sure you have a double snap 'n go! Lifesaver!!!!
If you want to buy one used, I still have mine in great condition.

Good luck! Enjoy!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 7:10 pm
hinda wrote:
Can any of you help me with some answers to my small details that id like to iron out in the next few days?
1. My nurse told me I may sweat profusely with fluids for the first two weeks.If this was your experience,what did you do? Change linen every day? Sleep with towels on your bed or what?
2. Did anyone use the hands free pumping bra?
3.Anyone have good phone/headset combo to recommend?
4.Do I need a twin diaper bag or is a single good enough?
5. Did you need more help during the daytime or night time hours int he first few weeks? I will be having a c section)
6. The best gift someone could have/gave you is ????

1. The sweating thing was only in the hospital cause it never felt cold enough in the rooms for me. But this was for my oldest too, not just the twins.
2. No. Rented a hospital grade.
3. No clue.
4. I don;t think mine is made specifically for twins - it's just extra large. Not 100% sure as DH actually bought it for me. It's a SkipHop (I think that's the brand) and quite roomy.
5. Yes. I have had 2 c-sections and recover pretty quickly, but still with 2 new babies (plus I had a toddler too) I absolutely needed help. I had my mom help out in the day and a night nurse for several weeks... a real luxury that was gifted to us by my ILs. I am a SAHM and don;t typically like farming my kids out to anyone, babysitter or friend, and I initially did NOT want this gift - but it really did help me.
6. See #5.

hinda

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 10:52 pm
Thanks for all the input-keep it coming.
I forgot one last important question-Do I need a twin nursing pillow/Does anyone have experience with the EZ 2 nurse or Twin ease pillow?
Please share if so and thanks

malky613

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 11:54 pm
I used the twin ez nursing pillow. It was awesome for me. Even when supplementing with a bottle, I used the pillow to keep the twins close.
(I heard from very skinny and small chested moms that it did not provide enough height for them, though.)

Zus

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 3:20 am
I used it too and it was great.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 10:07 am
I sweated a ton after all my births -- never had twins, though Smile

bashinda

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 8:26 pm
the hospital gave me 3 diaper bags; one for each baby. I only needed to use one at a time.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 8:35 pm
So thats the reason I had/have all that sweating... shock

I also had a weird instance where I woke up shivering, it was very bizarre, but now 1 week PP so far it only happened once.

Kumphort

Post Mon, Oct 19 2009, 9:28 pm
I got my EZ2nurse pillow off craigslist, they have a washable cover, so you can wash it and good as new

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Oct 25 2009, 1:15 am
I didn't sweat extra at all. In fact I've never heard of this!

I didn't pump or breastfeed at all- can't help you there.

Instead of a headset I recommend a speaker phone. I've used it daily for years even when not holding a baby (or now, a squirmy toddler).

Get the BIGGEST diaper bag you can find. There will be days that you're not going to be home for 4 hours and you need diapers, wipes, bottles, formula, bibs, a just in case change of clothes, your cell phone, wallet, keys, and when they get older baby food and spoons and when they get older than that meals and snacks. I felt like a packrat. My twins are almost 3 and just to go out for Shabbos lunch today we needed bibs, sippy cups, diapers and wipes.

My husband helped me at night and during the day he took a few days off after the babies got home from the NICU. Once he was back at work I had the occasional volunteer here or there, but I got into a rhythm of feeding them both at once pretty quickly.

THE BEST THING EVER---- double snap and go! I was so sad when they outgrew their infant car seats. That was one handy dandy contraption!

hinda

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 11:30 am
Gave birth to my girls one week ago today.BH all is well.Thansk everyone for the advice you gave.Sure if/when time allows Ill be back online

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 12:15 pm
mazel tov!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 12:27 pm
Mazel Tov! 2 sets of twin girls recently Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more