Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What day of the week do you invite your shabbos guest?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 9:02 am
I usually invite on Tuesday night. (tuesday day seems a little to early) . A lot of times I have not frum people over and they have their weekend plans by wenesday or even thursday.

on which day do you invite your shabbos guests?

ektsm

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 9:03 am
Definetly by Wednesday

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 10:05 am
I always do my shopping tues and it gen. not possible to know by then.

but at least I know when I do the cooking on thurs pm!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 10:06 am
I usually try to invite people over by tuesday or wednesday night.

I have a few friends that will sometimes call us on thursday or even friday afternoon, and sometimes I'll invite them over late too.

shopaholic

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 11:23 am
Wednesday evening.

cindy324

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 11:56 am
Usually Tuesday night, or at the very latest Wednesday night.

I have some people that call me Thursday night, and I'm like, don't you think by now I have my plans in place for shabbos?

BrachaC

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:10 pm
I try to invite company by Tuesday/Wednesday. Last week I had a very busy week and when I got home from school at 10:00 PM Thursday night my dh told me that we had family coming Friday night and another one Shabbos morning. BH it was a long Friday!

mumsy23

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:27 pm
There are people that see us in shul and invite shabbos day!! Usually I'm like "I have tons of food, I'm not throwing it away - next time invite me during the week!!!" but sometimes if I didn't make a fancy lunch, then I accept, just cus we like the company!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:45 pm
Can we please keep this thread going all the time? I remembered that I wanted to invite my friend over and did it just now!

Ima3

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 11:29 pm
wednesday night, I always cook on thursday.

chen

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 11:23 am
Ideally by Tuesday--Wednesday the latest. My pet peeve: folks who keep me hanging b/c "I don't know what I'll be doing this shabbos, I'll have to let you know later in the week." Unless what they mean is "I'm in the Armed Forces and will find out tomorrow if I'm being deployed to Iraq" or "I'm 39 weeks along and I might be in the hospital having a baby," what they are really saying is "your invitation is not attractive enough for me to commit myself. If nothing better comes along, I'll accept--and if something better comes along, I'll accept that and turn you down." Phooey!

elkayed

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 4:10 pm
I think about who I want to invite Monday, invite Tuesday and make menu and shopping list. On Wednesday I shop so I can cook Thursday afternoon. If my schedule gets messed up I get nervous since this schedule is perfect for me and my kids...

Tefila

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 5:43 pm
Sometimes I won't know till fri though I invite earlier, at the beginiong of the week. Thats why I always make extras Tongue Out

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 2:35 am
by me, it is more so ppl calling to invite themselves rather than me calling them to come. my husband is in yeshiva so sometimes its friday morning and he calls up to make sure its ok for another two guys to come for shabbat. I then have to run to the makolet Very Happy to get more chicken and shnitzel, but I am sooo glad to do it!!!

ceo

Post Sun, May 14 2006, 11:51 pm
chen wrote:
Ideally by Tuesday--Wednesday the latest. My pet peeve: folks who keep me hanging b/c "I don't know what I'll be doing this shabbos, I'll have to let you know later in the week." Unless what they mean is "I'm in the Armed Forces and will find out tomorrow if I'm being deployed to Iraq" or "I'm 39 weeks along and I might be in the hospital having a baby," what they are really saying is "your invitation is not attractive enough for me to commit myself. If nothing better comes along, I'll accept--and if something better comes along, I'll accept that and turn you down." Phooey!

I have also been on the recieving end of this....usually I tell these people (usually single guys who have no idea what goes into making shabbos), "Please let me know by xxx time." Once I even told someone, "okay, if I don't hear from you by thursday night, I'll assume you're not coming. hope you'll be able to make it! " I can't believe I said that....but I needed to know. This was a guy who is (present tense) constantly letting us know at the last minute. when you're just two small eaters, an extra person does make a difference to how much I will cook.

klotzkashe

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 1:23 am
in melbourne if you havent invited by monday (day) you will very often have no guests bc e/one has already made plans! no joke!

chen

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 8:36 am
klotzkashe wrote:
in melbourne if you havent invited by monday (day) you will very often have no guests bc e/one has already made plans! no joke!

Melbourne sounds like my kind of town! Count me in--what's the climate like?

happymom

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 9:05 am
Quote:
I think about who I want to invite Monday, invite Tuesday and make menu and shopping list. On Wednesday I shop so I can cook Thursday afternoon.

I do that too!

willow

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 10:22 am
ytwh1 wrote:
by me, it is more so ppl calling to invite themselves rather than me calling them to come. my husband is in yeshiva so sometimes its friday morning and he calls up to make sure its ok for another two guys to come for shabbat. I then have to run to the makolet Very Happy to get more chicken and shnitzel, but I am sooo glad to do it!!!

You have such a great attitude!!!!!!!!

chen

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 12:02 pm
our community sometimes contacts people to ask if they can have guests over. we volunteered this week to have guests if need be, and I am af shpilkes (on pins and needles) to find out if they're going to send anyone. In theory they are supposed to tell you by Wednesday but it rarely works out that way. Once they notified me friday morning, which entailed frantic phone calls home to buy this and open that and add the other. B "H there was someone home at the time to do all that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics