Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Which EI Agency?
Previous  1  2

greatfulmom

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 11:36 pm
Yes, it is the responsibility of the service coordinator to call once a month. But it can really be annoying at times, when you are dealing with a child who is obviously keeping you busy 24/7 needing therapy, (not to mention how busy a constant stream of therapist coming in and out of your house daily can be.)

Then if I had another toddler home besides a baby, and I hear the phone ringing; the caller id reads my service coordinator. Now normally, this shouldn't be a challenge. My service coordinator from challenge is a bit too straight with the rules obviously, that she keeps me on the phone that long. She tends to repeat her agenda of what she needs to ask and accomplish over the phone with me as if on call at a military base! Yes, it is her responsibilty, so I admire and appreciate that she does her job. But I didn't appreciate when she left a message on my voicemail all hysterical that she is having difficulties reaching me, and that I did not let her know that I was going away for so long. (It was summer time, but I did not and had no plans on going to the catskills for more than a week.) I simply did not get the time to return her phone call! Am I expected to always be on call, and available to speak and give a report of how my therapists are performing whenever my service coordinator feels is the right time for her to call me? Believe me, if she would be a little more caring, she would take note after one year that my answers are always almost the same, and that I never complain or say something tattle-tale on a therapist. At that point she can fill in on her own for me, on a month where I seem to be unreachable!! Don't you think?

On to my service coordinator at Eis Lason... Do you think she is not doing her job? Obviously if I am not happy with any of therapists, I would call her up and tell her it's time for a change! I asked her once why she doesn't call me once a month like Challenge's service coordinator, and ask me the whole barrage of questions... she laughed it off, and said she fills it in for me! She couldn't believe that they actually do that to the mothers at challenge, and asked me if perhaps I know if my service coordinator is new at her job....

A penny for your thoughts... esecially from you, amother who is a sc.

greatfulmom

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 11:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
FYI, most of the therapists that we had through Challenge did not work for Yeled V'Yalda, but did work for the other agencies.

Okay. I should've said: "Most therapists in the same vicinity work for ALMOST ALL OF THE ABOVE AGENCIES mentioned. I know they don't work for ALL!! But yes, I have asked once for a speech therapist who worked only for Eis Lasos, to sign up with Challenge so that my other son can have her services as well. She agreed, and it didn't take long for the process... These things shouldn't be complicated. you shouldn't be restricted to one agency per therapist, etc. If you are not happy with an agency, ask your therapist for which other agency they work for.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 12:42 am
sc here, I try to fulfill my responsibility and call the parents monthly, I am not intrusive. The entire phone call takes about three minutes, if that much, unless the parent brings up an issue. Sometimes they will tell ask me questions, ask for assistance with I.e. referring an older child for services, concerns in another area for this child, etc.

As with everything, there is a middle way.

L K

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 9:34 am
OMNI for ei special ed & pt. PM me for therapists' names if you wish. First I got one pt that I totally hated over the phone, and one sp.ed that was not experienced in specifically what my kid needed. The service coordinator was cooperative when I insisted (poitely Smile on switching therapists and got him ones who are terrific, b'h!!

MrsLeo

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 11:57 am
My daughters are getting services through Step by Step but I am thinking of switching to Yeled V'Yalda because they have more resources such as a sensory gym.
Did anyone every switch agencies? How does it work?

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 12:33 pm
my issue with Challenge was that when I complained about the therapists I was given, they said that these are the only ones available, they didnt have any other options at that time. Could be it was a difficult time of year, since in the summer some therapists go away.

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 12:35 pm
I have switched agencies. just call up the new agency and they will guide you. its quite a simple process.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:49 pm
Another, new SC here.

A SC that fulfills her duties is a good one. It may have been convenient for you that SC broke rules and filled papers out for you, but they may be breaking other rules and not notifying you of rights that you have and you may end up losing out without your knowledge. Did you know that there are rules stating that the evaluations must be completed within the first 30 days that you call? Or that therapy must start within 2 weeks of your IFSP meeting? If a SC is vigilant, she will ensure that she has a therapist in place by that time, and only you are the one to benefit. The calls take about 5 minutes, and those are the regulations. The least you can do is answer her questions for all the thousands of dollars worth of services that you are receiving FREE OF CHARGE. It sounds highly unlikely that a SC gets hysterical if you don't return her call after one week. Most don't get hysterical unless they are trying to reach you for 3-4 weeks and leaving you messages and writing you letters. And the least you can do is give them a 5 minute call to check in. They work hard with large caseloads, many of which can be very needy, and it's inconsiderate to give them extra work trying to reach you.

As for those people who want to receive specific service from other agencies, it is not a problem to switch at all. Just notify your SC and she will do whatever you need to get switched. But the rules of early intervention work the same in the entire NYC, so you will not be getting any more services with another agency, as they are all regulated by the NYC Early Intervention Program. Most EI children will not get a sensory gym unless there is justification why they should get PT at a gym (such as needing special devices).

The fit with your SC and therapists are what counts most. If you have a problem with either, it is very easy to change, especially within your agency. Look for an agency that's most accommodating, such as those that will come to your house (another regulation), conduct IFSP meeting at their center (so you don't have to go to Court St) and pay for transportation for you to get to the initial IFSP meeting.

And just for the record, there are certain agencies who only hire experienced, highly qualified therapists, and other agencies take anyone.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:02 pm
greatfulmom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
FYI, most of the therapists that we had through Challenge did not work for Yeled V'Yalda, but did work for the other agencies.

Okay. I should've said: "Most therapists in the same vicinity work for ALMOST ALL OF THE ABOVE AGENCIES mentioned. I know they don't work for ALL!! But yes, I have asked once for a speech therapist who worked only for Eis Lasos, to sign up with Challenge so that my other son can have her services as well. She agreed, and it didn't take long for the process... These things shouldn't be complicated. you shouldn't be restricted to one agency per therapist, etc. If you are not happy with an agency, ask your therapist for which other agency they work for.

yeled v'yalda does not allow their therapists to work for other agencies

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 10:27 pm
gold21 wrote:
I have switched agencies. just call up the new agency and they will guide you. its quite a simple process.

Not simple with older kids. It used to be that you had to be with the agency for 3 months at least, and 2 months ago it was switched to six months.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 08 2009, 1:19 pm
ive used jumpstart but I was unhappy with my coordinator. I switched to yeled v-yalda and im really happy. through YVY he was set up to go to challenge for 2 hrs a day but I was really unhappy with the teacher there and how she ran the classroom so I pulled him out

Motheroftwins

Post Sun, Nov 08 2009, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, OP. I was debating between the two posted above. Also thinking about Challenge. Has anyone heard anything about them?

I used challenge for my twins and they were exceptional. They are professional but caring at the same time. They helped us way beyond the call of duty.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics