Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Persimmons

Reality

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 8:27 pm
This doesn't really belong here but I don't know if their is a place for a question about a fruit. Anyway, I have never had one before? What do they taste like? How do you know if they are ripe etcc. Are they good together with other foods I.e. baked, in a salad etc..?

TIA!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 8:39 pm
I adore them! I prefer them till very ripe (it feels soft-ish when touched) when it's quite sweet and soft. Sometimes you can cut the fruit in half, scoop the flesh up with a spoon. Hard to describe but it reminds me of somewhat of a cross between a mango and a ripe melon. It is not tart at all. I also like it when it's still crunchy, more of similar consistency to pear/asian pear.

I'm not sure if people cook or combine with other food, but a bit of sprinkling of cinnamon or a squeeze of lemon juice goes nicely with the ripe ones. I think you can also mush the pulp and mix with yogurt. Ripe ones, you can quarter, peel and slice, then add to carrot salad (also goes nicely with quartered sliced turnip or shredded celeriac in mayo-based dressing).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 8:49 pm
Eat them on their own. Really soft, fleshy and sweet. Yum.
Make sure that they are ripe before you eat them, otherwise you'll be puckering up from their tartness and dryness.
They need to be super soft (almost mushy) before you open them. Also, do not eat the peel, or you will get a taste of the tartness/dryness.

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:06 pm
I think there are two varieties of persimmons. One that is round but flatter (like the tomato pin cushion shape) which can be eaten firm. The other one is larger and has a pointy bottom and needs to be very soft and mushy to be ripe and not tart.
not sure if I am being clear. I think I will look for pictures for explanation.

egam

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:12 pm
There are two kinds of persimmons: the Fuyu, which are more flat and round , and the Hachiya, accorn shaped pointy ones. The Fuyu ones you can eat right away and Hachiya you can't. They have to be fully ripened. To speed up ripening of Hachiya persimmons , put them in the freezer for 24 hours. Then defrost and use as you would a perfectly ripe persimmon. I usually let my husband to pick them in store, he knows which one to choose.

Reality

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:15 pm
Thanks everyone!! I am going to buy some this week when I am at the fruit store & see what I have been missing in my life. A cross between a mango & a melon? That has GOT to be a favorite in this house!!

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:16 pm
This is the first one I was talking about and this one can be eaten when firm or soft. I like this variety best. (And am I the only nutty one who eats these with the peals? I don't find the peals to be bitter at all. Maybe only the other kind has bitter peals? I eat it like any other fruit, like peach or plum, just bite in and enjoy!)

This is the second one I wrote about. This kind must be very soft in order not to be tart.

You can see all this info plus more here in Wikipedia

Reality

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:26 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
This is the first one I was talking about and this one can be eaten when firm or soft. I like this variety best. (And am I the only nutty one who eats these with the peals? I don't find the peals to be bitter at all. Maybe only the other kind has bitter peals? I eat it like any other fruit, like peach or plum, just bite in and enjoy!)

This is the second one I wrote about. This kind must be very soft in order not to be tart.

You can see all this info plus more here in Wikipedia

thank you for being super informative!!

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Nov 01 2009, 9:42 pm
You're welcome!
I really love the first variety of persimmons, and as soon as I see them in the stores I buy them! So I was hoping to help someone else and perhaps pass on the love of them to you! They are just so yummy!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics