Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone knows about Hong Kong?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:17 pm
DH called to say that there's a chance he might get a job posting in Hong Kong. Does anyone know anything about it? I know they have a shul (or is it chabad house) but is it orthodox? (We're middle of the road to slightly right wing MO.) What about education?

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:44 pm
call the chabad there - avtzon. I think they might even have a school. Chabad.org will help you find their contact info.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 10:58 am
DH used to go there several times a year for business. I think Chabad is at a different location from the main shul (Ohel Leah). There are at least 3 synagogues that I know of (the other one is syrian miniyan in kowloon side). JCC (has a nice mikvah, small kosher supermarket) is in the Central district, on top of the world's longest escalator. Winter is mild but summer is brutally hot and humid. Sorry, don't know much about education...

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 12:57 pm
I have a very good friend who lived there for years since marrying a guy from there. She now lives in the Five Towns. if you want send me a pm and I'll give you her email address. I'm sure she can tell you everything you need to know.

immaa

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 4:25 pm
the school is called the carmel school.
http://www.carmel.edu.hk/

amother

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 9:48 am
Anyone else have any info about Hong Kong and the Carmel school in particular?

How much English is spoken there? Is it crazy expensive?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 8:44 am
You can definitely manage with English when it comes to business, shopping, managing maids (mostly philipina ladies). Street signs and official documents are mainly in Chinese/English. Rents are expensive if you want expat spec apartments in Mid-Level areas near JCC.

I think Carmel is quite expensive--the only people I know who sent the kids there are ex-pat types whose employers pay the tuition. The language of instruction is in English, I suspect it's more British curriculum (know a former headmaster who was from UK) though many American/Australian/French kids. It is a jewish school but think more of community day school with different levels of observances. Frum people supplement with private lessons.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 9:10 am
Thanks for the info! Very Happy
I actually saw a job listing for a job that I am qualified for at the Carmel school, so that's why I thought to ask. I wonder what kind of salary they pay. The school said on the position description that it was "modern Orthodox" but from the pics online it did not look any kind of Orthodox to me..

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 1:32 pm
Checked the pics... looks like a typical MO school. The boys were kippas all the time and all. It's not the case in all MO schools.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 4:21 pm
Up for a question:
Is there a kosher restaurant there?
How is the weather in August?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 6:01 pm
Kosher restaurants: several, JCC has a meaty grill and a dairy place. Another kosher fleishig place on Kowloon side. You'll do well.

Weather in summer: HOT and STICKY. 30C plus. Definitely not for you, if I read your Australian post correctly. Risk of monsoon toward the last week of August. Having said that you manage as most places have A/C. Personally HK is one of my favourite city in Asia.

If you're thinking of transfer points from Paris to Australia, you're pretty much limited to HK or S'pore, both of which are hot and humid in August (S'pore hot throughout the year). Possibly Bangkok but again it's tropical. You can probably use Seoul or Tokyo for transfer but there's VERY little in terms of kosher foods, and flight time would be much more. Alternative would be going westward via LA, or possibly via Dubai, in any case it's a long trip there.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 15 2010, 10:55 am
For various reasons it seems it will be HK. Pming you!! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating