Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do you sleep with your baby?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 4:31 am
ds is five month old and I slept with him every night ever since he was a month and a half and we mastered nursing while laying down.
I loved it also because it saved me a lot of sleeping huors but mostly because I enoyed it so much. I loved the cudlin, the closness and the bonding. There is nothing like waiking up and seeing hid beautifull smile first thing.

Anyway, he fell off the bed this morning. He is o.k b"h, he wasn't hurt but it sure was scary. I wont sleep with him any more but I sure will miss it.

so, so you so it? why or why not? maybe you have some tips to make it safer? I'd love to hearfro you!

drumjj

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 4:37 am
no I never have and never will I think its dangerous because I could roll over them and also yes they can roll of the bed as u said above and also I never sleep properly. I dont even like have my infants sleeping int he same room as me never mind the same bed

amother

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 4:39 am
I could never do it. I'd be terrified of him falling out or rolling over on top of him. When I'm very tired I'm a very deep sleeper...anything could happen and I wouldn't notice.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 4:57 am
While I thought I would really like it, I found that my bed was way too small. And the way our furniture is configured, I couldn't push it against the wall. So, I was hyper-nervous with him in my bed, without enough room to sleep comfortably, so I didn't sleep very well, so I only did it a few times for a few hours at a time(like he would come to nurse, and then I was too tired to take him back). And with the beds together, I had to worry if dh knew he was there, etc, and dh wasn't as sensitive to his presence.

I did love the feeling of having a baby next to me, and a cat behind my legs in the same bed...but the cat is just a better a sleep-partner, since he moves if I bother him, and he can't fall off the bed!!

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 7:29 am
I always sleep with my kids. It's great cuddle time. I love it! Each of my kids has fallen off the bed once, but it usuallyy happens when I have two kids in with me at the same time, so someone has to lay at the edge of the bed. Otherwise, I keep the kids next to the wall.

GetReal

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 7:58 am
In my old apartment my bed couldn't fit near the wall, but now it does. On the other side, I put a bedrail. Keeping the baby near the wall doesn't work for me because I keep switching sides when I nurse.

gryp

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 9:10 am
I can't sleep without my newborn. I don't relax knowing I may have to get out of bed soon, or wake up soon.

This is the fifth time I'm co-sleeping.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 10:14 am
I sleep with my babies. I keep my babies next to a barrier so they won't just roll off.

lubmommy

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 11:46 am
I've slept with every baby since my second and wish I had known about it with my first. Very Happy

Mirel

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 12:55 pm
no, because I am petrified of rolling on top of them ( which happened once for a few seconds), also since I am so afraid, I sleep as stiff as a mummy, and wake up with such a stiff neck and shoulder!!!! My baby and I both sleep much better apart, so during the day we are well rested and enjoy each other better!!!

beilariva

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 1:35 pm
I sleep with them in bed and I am very happy with it. The youngest is by the wall in a single bed coupled by another single bed where I sleep when I am not nursing him. Next to this single bed is the baby bed which still works out for DS. He sometimes moves over to my single bed for some extra cuddling. The three beds basically makes one big bed for the three of us.

I hope you find the best arrangement for you but if it is only an issue of safety then try to be creative with the placement of your bed(s) and look into the rails that you can attach to a regular bed.

RightOnTarget

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 1:41 pm
My bed is against the wall and big enough. I've ended up sleeping with my baby most nights just because he is happier in my bed. He cries when I try to put him in his crib. I'm a light enough sleeper to wake up if I happen to roll onto him.

I have not enforced crib only rule since I enjoy it too Smile

Inspired

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 1:49 pm
I sleep with my baby in a double with a wall on one sde and a rail on the other.

MiamiMommy

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 1:50 pm
I only sleep with my baby when he won't settle. I'm not worried that I'll roll on top of him, but he sometimes rolls towards me and squishes his face against me. . .freaks me out!

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 2:00 pm
I slept on and off with several of my kids, but only one was a really enthusiastic co-sleeper. I did two things: when he was under six months, I would generally move him to a bassinet that I kept on the bed. When he got a bit older, I made a wooden barrier -- I used a board covered with batting and fabric and attached to shelf brackets to keep it upright.

I will note that I had a queen-sized bed at the time, so all this was practical. I now have a twin bed, and I can't imagine doing it under those circumstances.

raspberry tea

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 2:10 pm
Wow your poor baby, I'm sorry to hear that.

I sleep with my baby now. And I have slept with all my kids when they were baby's.

My bed is against a wall. And baby is always on that side of the bed.

What happened that baby fell off?

Grandmama

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 2:19 pm
I always slept with a baby, my arm under the baby.
Some of them actually preferred a crib, and that was great. But I still slept much of the first two years with most of them.
They all fell off the bed at one point or another, just as they all fell down the steps at one time or another,and they fell out of carriages, and off of bikes, and etc. Hashem has watched over them, because they only grow up with miracles all the time.
You can try to be as careful as possible, but if you can get them to sleep in a crib, its worth while, but some kids hate a crib, so I ended up getting them into a real bed by 18 months! They loved a real bed and hated being behind bars. Other kids liked the security of being boxed in, so its a personality thing with a crib. But mostly the cribs were storage areas for extra blankets and such.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 2:27 pm
I'm the OP.
thanks everyone for your replies. I haven't decided if to go back to sleeping with baybe yet. still to shaken up. If I do I will make sure to keep him near the wall (stupid of me not to think of it before hand I just didn't think he could fall)

raspberry tea

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 2:33 pm
Out of seven baby's I've never had one fall out of my bed, bli ayin hara, tututu! There does come a point that I transfer them to a crib. Usually once they have become mobile, somewhere around 9 months to a year.

raspberry tea

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the OP.
thanks everyone for your replies. I haven't decided if to go back to sleeping with baybe yet. still to shaken up. If I do I will make sure to keep him near the wall (stupid of me not to think of it before hand I just didn't think he could fall)

hugs to op
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics