Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Outreach to non jews?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 2:15 pm
I was on the train when this lady started giving out papers (not sure what it was on it, I saw picture of Rebbe). She was giving it to everyone, except the frum ppl on train. she gave it to black teenagers & they asked her what is it & she said it protects you or s/t. these girls were laughing & saying what I don't understand you (it was hard to understand, I think she had a speech problem)
my question is why is she giving it to these people? they're not jewish! yes, I know there are balck jews but let me tell you- these were not them!
can s/o please explain this to me? thanks

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 2:21 pm
It probably pertained to the seven Noahide commandments that are commonly taught to non-Jews.

amother

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 2:23 pm
oh right, now that you mentioned it I think I heard her say noach...
so it teaches them the laws? but why? why do u want to teach the non jews anything?

Crayon210

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 2:33 pm
Because non jews have to keep the 7 Noahide laws, so who else is going to teach them if not the Jews?

hisorerus

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 2:53 pm
The Rambam says it's our responsibility to teach the non jews, and most recently the Rebbe strongly encouraged it.

Mrs.Norris

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 3:15 pm
it seems a pretty bad way to go about teaching the Noahide laws though ...

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 3:22 pm
A certain percentage of people will be curious enough to search for more information on the internet. There are non jews who are searching for meaning and are not finding it either in the religions that they grew up with or in the secularism of today. We are not trying to convert them but to show them what purpose Hashem has for them.

Crayon210

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 4:41 pm
What's wrong with giving someone a pamphlet to read?

didan

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 4:49 pm
B"H

I think what Mrs. Norris meant (correct me if I'm wrong) is that there's nothing wrong with teaching non jews about 7 Mitzvos Bnei Noach; it's the way it's done.

The impression I got from the original poster is that the woman was making a fool out of herself, as unfortunately I've seen a number of women do with these things.

Crayon210

Post Fri, May 05 2006, 4:57 pm
Oh, okay.

This woman might nebuch not be 100%, what should be done? I've been approached by people that were a bit off, but it didn't give me a bad impression of their group, I realized they weren't normal.

Mrs.Norris

Post Sat, May 06 2006, 5:19 pm
didan wrote:
B"H

I think what Mrs. Norris meant (correct me if I'm wrong) is that there's nothing wrong with teaching non jews about 7 Mitzvos Bnei Noach; it's the way it's done.

The impression I got from the original poster is that the woman was making a fool out of herself, as unfortunately I've seen a number of women do with these things.

that's exactly what I meant, as it seems that the people she was giving the leafelets to just saw it as some joke. I do not think you should just randomly start handing out leafelets on the Noahide laws and simply say "it protects you" ...

Crayon210

Post Sat, May 06 2006, 10:04 pm
Okay, but she might nebuch have a problem, and there's no Bnei Noach police to tell anyone not to give out pamphlets, so what should one do?

amother

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 6:12 am
Quote:
Because non jews have to keep the 7 Noahide laws, so who else is going to teach them if not the Jews?

I might be ignorant here, and I'm seriously genuinely asking.
why do we have to teach them. Who cares if they know it or not.

Thanks in advacne for explanation;l

TzenaRena

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 6:39 am
The purpose Hashem has for non jews in the world is not to run amok destroying the world, but not surprisingly to build it, "l'sheves yetzorah", to inhabit, and develop, to facilitate and make possible that:
the Jewish nation, who are a G-dly people will have a hospitable world in which to accomplish OUR mission of creating a Dirah B'tachtonim, a dwelling place for the Shechinah, the Divine Presence..

amother

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 5:11 pm
oh for goodness sakes! there are plenty of jews out there that need teaching so y spend time on non jews hu are probably gonna just laf at what u teach them?! they have no idea! y shud they keep something that they know nothing abt and are being told abt it by jews! Rolling Eyes some pple hav to get their priorities rite!

Motek

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 5:13 pm
Did you write that anonymously because it's embarrassing to disagree with the Rambam?

Crayon210

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 5:15 pm
If there are mitzvos for the Bnei Noach to keep, who are going to teach them if not the Jews?

There has been some success with Noahides; most of the problem is that not enough is being done for them in terms of education and support.

But they definitely exist. I have met a few, I have met people who actively work with them, and I have heard even of Arabs in Eretz Yisroel who have become Noahides!

I'm sorry if you don't think it's a priority, but many Lubavitchers do take it seriously, particularly after the Lubavitcher Rebbe brought it to the attention of his chassidim.

Confused

nehama

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 10:24 pm
At the border recently, the customs official asked my husband whether he had a good card. He got a little nervous what legal paper he's being asked for, and then he realized what he meant, and said, "No, but I have a picture of the Rebbe!" He showed his Rebbe picture, and the officer showed his God Card, and we were off!

gryp

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 10:30 pm
nice story! Smile

miriam

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 10:33 pm
nehama wrote:
At the border recently, the customs official asked my husband whether he had a good card. He got a little nervous what legal paper he's being asked for, and then he realized what he meant, and said, "No, but I have a picture of the Rebbe!" He showed his Rebbe picture, and the officer showed his God Card, and we were off!

That's really special.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics