Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Binyomin??
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 2:38 pm
do you think shortening Binyomin to benji is a bit non jewish??
I dont really like the shortened version bini
any other ideas of how to shorten???

superjew

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 2:42 pm
Benny?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 2:42 pm
Boomer. Yummy.

joy613

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 2:45 pm
Yumi? that name makes me laugh every time I hear it, but I do know some people with it.
btw- not pronounced 'yummy' as in food, rather as a rhyme to 'Frumi'.

I do think Benji is a really cute name and I know some frum boys called that.
That being said, I think Binyomin is just a beautiful name in itself. But whatever suits you.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 3:06 pm
DS is named Binyamin and he goes by both Binyamin and Benjy. In school they call hime Binyamin but at home most of the time we use Benjy, and we are considered yeshivish, I think it totally can be used. Most english names I wouldn't use, but for some reason I think Benjy is fine. But thats just my personal opinion!

Tamiri

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 3:10 pm
My Binyamin (pronounced bin ya MEEN) is usually called Binny. Or skinny binny LOL . Israelis call him Benny. We try to call him Binyamin because it's a beautiful name.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 3:16 pm
Maybe it's not so "frum" but it's definitely Jewish. Know any non jews called Benji???

Tamiri

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 3:18 pm
I knew so many frum Benjies (is that the plural?) growing up. Including Benji Levine, the grandson of Reb Aryeh Levin z"tzl

louche

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 8:02 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Maybe it's not so "frum" but it's definitely Jewish. Know any non jews called Benji???

Now that you ask...there was a movie by that name in which the title character was a canine.
Bengie Molina, catcher for SF Giants
Benjie Porecki, jazz musician
Benjie Paras, filipino actor and basketball player

just Google on Bengie, Benji, Benjie
I would still use it. I'm not offended by the idea that someone nonJewish may have the same nickname as my kid. I'm sure there are nonJews who have some of the same genes as my kids, given that we are all ultimately descended from one man and one woman.

Now if you asked if there were any non jews named Yossi, I would say that's highly unlikely, but even so, not impossible. Hershel Walker's mother can tell you all about not making assumptions based on names.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 4:46 am
Tom Cruise's dd is Suri...

shanie5

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 8:11 am
My ds is binyomin, benny, ben, ben-boy, benjamin (and, no, his name on his birth certificate is not benjamin-its binyomin).
If asked, he will say he is either binyomin or benny.

My nephew is benjy.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 10:13 am
I love the name, it is my favorite boys name so that is why we named our DS that name.
My Ds is known as:
Binyamin
Benji
Benj

and sometimes:
Benji-boy
Benjamin
Ben

on his birth certificate we put Benjamin, bec. it is an exact translation, and we figured it might make it easier for him in the future when he has to use his name in the secular world.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 13 2009, 10:26 am
I don't know where you live and if you can handle the flak.
Personally, I like it. And if you named him after a Binyomin who was Benji, that's really sweet.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 7:27 am
Benjy is not frum? oh? The frummest people I know go by totally secular names.

shevi82

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 4:42 am
I heard english use the name Benji more then americans.

energy11

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 7:52 am
My Benyamin is 4 years old.
The first two years of his life we called him Benoosh.
But he is back to Benyamin now, as a big boy.
Also, I heard that shortening the names shortens the brocha, so I make sure at least twice a day to call him by his full name Benyamin Yaacov.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 7:55 am
Many gedolim went by a nickname. Ask your LOR if you have to do it or not. Although it's good to have the child know his full name.

shanie5

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 10:23 pm
energy11 wrote:
My Benyamin is 4 years old.
The first two years of his life we called him Benoosh.
But he is back to Benyamin now, as a big boy.
Also, I heard that shortening the names shortens the brocha, so I make sure at least twice a day to call him by his full name Benyamin Yaacov.

My Benny is also Binyomin Yaakov.

Sometimes I call him Benjamin Jacob, as well as all the other nicknames I previously posted

amother

Post Sun, Nov 22 2009, 10:28 pm
I have 2 bils named Binyamin- one is called Benny & the other is called Yumi.

mammele26

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 1:59 am
Hashem loves me wrote:
Yumi? that name makes me laugh every time I hear it, but I do know some people with it.
btw- not pronounced 'yummy' as in food, rather as a rhyme to 'Frumi'.

I do think Benji is a really cute name and I know some frum boys called that.
That being said, I think Binyomin is just a beautiful name in itself. But whatever suits you.

I like the way you say how it's supposed to be pronounced. Those who have a litvish accent say Yummy, those who have the chassidish accent, say Yumi. Realize that those who would say Yumi, wouldn't say Frumy, but Frimy. I know you were only using 'Frumy' to explain yourself... Happens to be that I know another Yummy, and his daughter used to tell me, "My father is 'yummy'!"

Last edited by mammele26 on Sun, Jul 03 2011, 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names