Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
How long did it take to figure out what an anaphylactic reac

amother

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 12:07 am
how long did it take to figure out what an anaphylactic reaction was from? My son (2yrs old)has had 3 anaphylactic reactions in the past year. We went to an allergist, and now have a epipen and inhaler just in case, but when the allergist tested him, he tested negative for EVERYTHING they tested for.

The dr said it could be a reaction to a cold he had, but felt it still might be something else. Then 2 wks later he broke out in hives again, this time no cold...

I'm so frustrated! Obviously if I don't know what the allergen is, I can't avoid it, and if its the cold virus, well what put him in a bubble?

It happens so fast so obviously he's deathly allergic to whatever it is, he blows up like a balloon, and has hives the size of my fist covering him and his feet and hands turn purple and swollen and rounded. Not to mention he can't breath.

Has anyone had this where they just can't figure it out? How did you get to the bottom of it... I just can't seem to connect the dots! Confused

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 9:26 pm
What kind of tests did they use? blood or skin?

Blood tests are very unreliable, skin testing is usually better. An anaphalactic reaction usually takes place soon after ingesting the item, although some are slower to react then others.

You need to keep a food diary, everything he eats must be written down to help you better track reactions.

Think back to the days of the anphalaxis, try to find a common link. He may have multiple allergies, so it may be harder to track.

(hug) I know the hell you are going through. I live it every day.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 9:47 pm
Well, we gave my daughter peanut butter, and she had a reaction. LOL It was simple as that. Then we went to an allergist to confirm the allergy and do some more extensive tests, and we found out that she is allergic to tree nuts as well. Have you had any blood or skin work done? Have you visited an allergist?

supermommy

Post Mon, Nov 16 2009, 10:00 pm
how open are you to naturapathic drs?
a kineseologist who tests for allergies can test your son for all sorts of things including your detergents and shampoo, not to mention food types. they can sometimes pick up allergies to things regular testing cannot pickup and is non invasive. Maybe you could look into something like that.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 12:38 am
we went to an allergist. He was tested for about 30 different things with a skin test which all came back negative. Confused

The allergist said I need to see if it happens again and record everything he did and ate that day to see if there is a common thread.. So far there is none. Its not the detergent or bug bites or anything environmental. And its not about 10 foods he was tested for either. Its just so agrivating. I can't avoid whatever it is cause I have no idea.

I'd rather not go to a neuropath. Not that I mind natural things, but its kind of scary for me when my son turns purple and can't breath.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics