Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many outfits do you buy each kid per season and ...
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:14 pm
also how much money do you expect to spend?
if you can, please break down by:
babies
toddlers
school age
teen
tx so much as I seem to never get it quite right.. it stresses me out twice a year!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:20 pm
It depends how often you do laundry.

(I do once a week -- not by choice -- and as such my children need about 10 outfits which is more than I want them to have: 7 to get them from Sunday to Sunday, a change of clothes to keep in school, and a couple of spares in case they get dirty/sick/use up the change of clothes not at home/something didn't make it into the wash...My oldest is only 4, but I think if he was older, I could get away with a couple less. This is not including Shabbos clothes. I spend about $4 an item or less, meaning my boys' clothing is tops $8 an outfit for shirt and pants. For my daughter, if her outfit is a one-piece dress, I try not to spend more than $6.)

kinderCK

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:26 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

( I spend about $4 an item or less, meaning my boys' clothing is tops $8 an outfit for shirt and pants. For my daughter, if her outfit is a one-piece dress, I try not to spend more than $6.)

Can you please tell me where you buy your clothes.. ???? that's pretty inexpensive!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:32 pm
Target (sales, clearance), but mainly eBay (especially lots on there).

Inspired

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:33 pm
My baby and toddler clothes are about 3 shekel a piece- at my local gemach. Smile Older kids stuff is 5 shekel a piece.
For the toddler I have about 5 decent outfits plus a few spares.
My babies wear one pieces mostly and I try to have at least 6 outfits on hand. Usually its about 10.
The older kids, it depends on how mess they are etc. But usually its 3-6 bottoms and 5-6 shirts.

In America I have bought stuff at second hand store in the states as well, and second hand online ebay, etc. for anywhere from 1$ a piece to 7$ for nicer stuff for older kids.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:48 pm
It's alll relative. Some find that less clothes means less laundry and prefer that.
I know this might sound excessive to some but I hold strongly to 8-12 weekday clothes per child. (For babies and toddlers.)
In addition I like having two Shabbos options and a Shabbos robe or lounging PJs.
I have 2 weeks worth of clothes for e/o. Since everything gets dirty really fast, like this I don't feel the pressure of the laundry, yet everything gets done in a timely fashion.
Once a child is in elementary school and using uniforms; 5-6 uniforms (enough for a full week of school) and maybe 3 regular weekday outfits.
Okay you can throw the rotten tomatoes at me now Smile

pecan

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:57 pm
I've found that the only ones who need complete sets of clothes per season is the oldest boy and the oldest girl. The rest of the kids get the hand me downs. (My kids are still too young to care) But I only save good stuff, so a younger child may need only a couple more outfits, etc.
I don't buy everything at once.
I buy on sale, or when the season is over for the next year. I've pretty much figured out what sizes they will be. Coats I buy for the following year - at Lands end, because their stuff is guaranteed.
I think kids need 2 shabbos outfits, and since most of mine are in uniform, my girl has three uniforms, and my boys have three shirts each and more pants, because they need pants anyways for the days they don't have uniforms.
Babies and toddlers are obviously a different story. Babies need about 10 stretchies, especially with leaks and spitting up. Toddlers could use at least 5 sets of clothes.
My golden rule is never to spend more than 10 dollars on an item of clothing unless it's for shabbos.
But as my daughter gets older and needs tznius clothes, it is much more difficult to stick to this rule for skirts or dresses.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:00 pm
Oh, yes, I don't buy clothes for my second son for the most part anymore (when he was a baby I had to since he was born in January and my oldest in July) -- I just buy things to fill in the gaps for shirts that got ruined or whatever.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:22 pm
What is this amother ?

Besides laundry, it depends on how much storage space you have, and how hard you rkids are on clothes.

If it's a year with 3 day yomim toivim, you need more Shabbos clothes, remember.

queen

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:24 pm
I do laundry once a week (twice when I can, but not necessary)
therefore I have 6 weekday outfits per kid and two shabbos.
(My kids are 4 and under)
price: weekday, I do my best to keep items $10 and less. Shabbos I tend not to spend more than $35-40 max.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:30 pm
You must do laundry when the kids are sleeping/not wearing their day clothes Smile (Because when I do it once a week that means I need 2 Sunday outfits.)

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:33 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You must do laundry when the kids are sleeping/not wearing their day clothes Smile (Because when I do it once a week that means I need 2 Sunday outfits.)
Right. Which is why I buy 2 weeks worth of clothes even though I do laundry at least once a week. Also because my dcs are very hard on clothes and things get ruined mid season.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:33 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Right. Which is why I buy 2 weeks worth of clothes even though I do laundry at least once a week. Also because my dcs are very hard on clothes and things get ruined mid season.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:34 pm
For my toddlers 7 weekday outfits + a change for school (I try to use last year's if still possible)
2 shabbos outfits, except for years with a 3 day yom tov, then 3.

Tova

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:43 pm
I never counted actual outfit pieces, but I like knowing I have a lot of undershirts and sleepers...(can always spend the day in those if needed).

I should mention that my kids are 2.5 and 1, kn"h, so I am not sending them to school in their pj's!

Marigold

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:48 pm
I try to do laundry as often as possible so that usually translates to almost every day. I like an empty hamper and I iron a lot so I need to wait for everything to dry. I've got at least 6 clothes for my 3 year old and for my 14 mth old a couple of cheaper things for the house and some nicer for the street. Also I do invest in bibs and smocks (didn't see anyone mentioning this) and where them whenever they eat so once they they grow out of the spitting/leaking age I rarely have to change them. as far as spending goes.....im way out of league here so I"ll keep quiet.

MMEC123

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:48 pm
kinderCK wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

( I spend about $4 an item or less, meaning my boys' clothing is tops $8 an outfit for shirt and pants. For my daughter, if her outfit is a one-piece dress, I try not to spend more than $6.)

Can you please tell me where you buy your clothes.. ???? that's pretty inexpensive!!
I try to stick with this same budget. Aside from Target you can also find these prices at Walmart. Also, if you need at the end of a season or are willing to buy ahead, I shop Gymboree, Old Navy and Gap clearance all the time and get shirts and bottoms for 2.99-5.99. Dresses I am willing to spend up to $10. Also, I use online coupons for Gap/Old Navy and get coupons in the mail for Gymboree.

Inspired

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:

Okay you can throw the rotten tomatoes at me now Smile

Why should anyone care? What matters is that it works for you.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 3:34 pm
Nine(all ages-little kids only so far) for weekday and makeI sure they are really good quality. I get them all in the beginning of the season or on sale the year before. Before putting in closet I organize all clothes and this way only what I use is in there.

sarahd

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 3:41 pm
I aim for 6-7 weekday outfits and 2-3 Shabbos outfits per child (baby, toddler, preschooler). Somehow, this year my baby ended up with only five weekday outfits, which is really not enough, and my two year old has about 9 pairs of pants and five tops. I still haven't figured out where I messed up, but the bottom line is that I end up having to wash twice a week.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics