Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Project ideas for body parts lesson

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 1:57 pm
Hi,

I teach kindergarten (headstart) Part of our theme will cover body parts next week. I am looking for projects-crafts and the like, and activities that can be done for this theme.
So far we are doing body tracing-trace every girl on a large paper and then they color it and decorate it, the other teacher wants to do a lesson on things we do with our hands, and then make a thank you card for our parents for thanksgiving with our hands (because we will have an inspector come down next week, so we should tie in something to thanksgiving), a bit far fetched, but ok.
I guess we could play something like "simple simon".
Any other ideas?

TIA

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:27 pm
If you need a Thanksgiving craft, there are projects out there making turkeys from handprints. google it

shopaholic

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 2:45 pm
try theperpetualpreschool.com they have themes with tons of ideas.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
If you need a Thanksgiving craft, there are projects out there making turkeys from handprints. google it

Thanks for this idea! I got a few good turkey ideas and will now discuss it with the other teacher and decide which one to make. Any other great ideas, whether thanksgiving related or not?

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 4:33 pm
shopaholic wrote:
try theperpetualpreschool.com they have themes with tons of ideas.

by the way, this link doesn't seem to be working. do you have a correct url for this site?

MMEC123

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:36 pm
Try it without "the" (perpetualpreschool.com)

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:46 pm
you can make fingerprint characters. fingerprint the kids in different colors, then have them glue googly eyes and pre-cut foam arms or pipe cleaner arms and legs on. see if they can make a dot for the nose and a squiggle for the mouth.

you can also use the fingerprints as eyes, preschool kids' fingerprints may be too small for full characters.

do lots of fingerpainting in general.

you can make hand print lilies. trace the kids' hands on a white piece of thick paper. cut it out. have them shape yellow pipe cleaners to be the middle of the flower (standing up, little knob on top). curl the fingers of the hand cut outs around a pencil (all in one direction). wrap the hand around the yellow pipe cleaners. you should also have a green pipe cleaner/ some sort of stem. the kids can glue leaves on the stem. tape the hand closed around everything else so it's secure. I don't know how great these instructions are, but it's a really nice looking project.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:48 pm
http://familyfun.go.com/crafts.....5224/

there are nicer instructions.

I very much like family fun magazine for projects.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 2:05 am
It might be more creative to make a Thanksgiving card with the feet or the mouth!

SnowPea

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 6:15 pm
I have done with this age, a whole human body secton. The kids traced each other and then I thought of different look like that body part. we did a red balloon for the heart. for the brain I gave out cut out of the shape of the brain and gave them yarn and showed them how the brain looked and to squigle the yarn in it. I did one leg and arm did the muscle with red elestic to teach how it moves. The other arm and leg I had a picture of a bone and thick hard poster board to show the hardness of a bone. Then I had a picture of the digestive system that they color coded.we also did the outside of our the body, a face then a shirt that zippers and a skirt out of paper. they sewed the arms to the shirts.
tying in to thanksgiving, the whole point of thanksgiving - is thanks. So we realize when we learn about our body how thankful we should be and how amazing out body is
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics