Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
WAHM - what do you do??
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:01 pm
e1234 wrote:
with programming experience is defiantly something important
I would also say it's harder for a beginner to work at home as in the beginning it's especially helpful to have a coworker be able to look at what your doing wrong when you get stuck.
that's one of the disadvantages of working at home that you don't have this.

I agree. Except because I work for a company I can always call my co-workers in the office to discuss issues, just as if I was in the office.

What about bookeeping with your math background. It probably does not pay as much, but I know people who are able to work from home, or even be their own boss in such fields.

staten islander

Post Mon, Nov 23 2009, 10:12 pm
I am in Finance/accounting. I used to work for Ernst and Young, which is one of the big 4 accounting firms here in the States. While the experience was invaluable, our family really suffered. I think I worked 25 hours a day!!!
I quit and ended up taking a job at a small real estate development company as a VP of Finance. I loved it-I worked 4 days a week, 7 hours a day. Sadly, the owners made aliyah and closed the company. I didn't see myself going back to the corporate grind , so I canvassed the area for small companies that might need a controller/VP of Finance, but cannot afford to hire one on a full time basis. I now have 3 such clients and I work at home 75% of the time. I get paid by the hour, but the downside is that I have no benefits and no vacation. However, it is unbeatable in terms of flexibility and convenience

Vintage Modern

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 1:29 am
I am in direct sales selling Jewelry and I work as a consultant at an accounting firm as a bookkeeper for some their clients.

Many small accounting firms look for help with the "easier jobs" like bookkeeping photocopying, getting files in order for their clients, while they work on the complicated issues like taxes or just time sensitive issues. You don't need special training just a boss willing to teach you how they want the work presented.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 8:10 am
I do ebay and am setting up a prostores web site for a local store. It's not a great paycheck,I work extremely part time (1-2 hours a day). But IYH when my kids are in school I'd expand it to a bigger business (ebay expert, trading assistant, whatever). but this isnt a moneymaker, certainly nowhere near an actuary.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Dec 02 2009, 12:18 pm
Until recently we had a family business and I did all of the paperwork from home and also did writing, translating or light graphics (invitations, signs, illustrating pamphlets I wrote for people, etc).

Now I have had to piece together a parnassa from my various enterprises. So..
I give a few shiurim, have started seriously taking graphological evals and working on them one day. I also write materials and make fund raising contacts for a yeshiva on another day. I try to make some time for writing projects of my own as well.

mosma

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 12:26 pm
the company I work for is really small so I'm not going to say what it is since I want to keep myself anonymous on this board, BUT I work over the phone and online and I got really lucky to get this job because it's a successful company and you need a specific skill set to work for them and there are less than 30 employees total and only 10 others on my level of work which is great and the pay is really good for working at home but I find I never have time to clean my house thoroughly (I do laundry, etc. it's not awful!) because my work is AT HOME so I'm constantly working and people get so surprised they think because I work from home my house should be spotless because I must have nothing better to do lol.
love that I could be in pj's all day though. and I'm home for DS when he comes home from school which is priceless.

Starhavah

Post Thu, Feb 11 2010, 12:49 pm
sky wrote:
I work in software engineering from home.

If you can find a job that would let you work from home would you be able to just take a course or 2 to upgrade your computer programming skills and include that on a resume?

I would! What kind of courses would I need. DH is a VB developer and works from home, but he has worked for this company for like 7 years and has lots of experience. What kind of courses do I need to do to get a job. I would think that there would not be that many jobs out there for people without a CS degree or a lot of experience. Am I wrong?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers