Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How does the baby come out!
1  2  Next

Tovah

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:00 pm
my 5 yr old wants to know babies come out.
what would u tell your kids?

purplesquare

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:07 pm
hashem makes a special hole open up at the right time

Tovah

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:12 pm
and when they ask where's the hole?
my daughter is k''ah very bright and feels the need to know all details of everything.

Atali

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:20 pm
As I wrote recently on another thread, this came up with my five-year-old DS when I was learning the Little Medrash Says with him.

I told him that the baby comes out of a special hole that mommies have for that purpose. He actually didn't ask me where it was, he showed me. He pointed to the right area on himself (although of course he doesn't have one) and asked if it is there. I said yes.

No one had told him that, since up until then he had thought that all babies were born by c-section. He just made an educated guess probably since that is where the other hole is.

freidasima

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:22 pm
Very well done Atali and you have a very intelligent son!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:23 pm
Tell her something that is true but vague.
Tell her that Hashem makes a Ness and takes out the baby from Mommy's tummy.
If she continues to question you, tell her that the opening only opens up when it's time for the baby to be born, and that it is not visible at other times.

Atali

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:27 pm
Thanks.

As I posted on the other thread, the whole thing came up when we learning in the medrash says book that Shifra and Puah were midwives. I told him that midwives were doctors who helped women have babies.

He then wanted to know how they had the right tools to do the surgery in mitzrayim, to which I answered that one does not need tools to deliver the baby, just hands.

This led to the rest of the discussion.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If she continues to question you, tell her that the opening only opens up when it's time for the baby to be born, and that it is not visible at other times.
But that's not true...

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:29 pm
How about "...But you can't see it at other times..."
THAT is true - hopefully your 4-yr-old isn't allowed to see it LOL

Last edited by amother on Sun, Oct 18 2020, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:39 pm
ChSh wrote:
How about "...But you can't see it at other times..."
THAT is true - hopefully your 4-yr-old isn't allowed to see it LOL

That's better. Maybe but you usually can't see it at other times Smile

eshes chayil

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 7:45 am
I remenber my kids saving me from that one! My 4 year old son asked me how will the baby come out? TO which my 5 year old answered him (before I had a chance to open my mouth) "That's why mommy goes to the doctor to get the baby out- cuz he's a doctor so he knows these things. We arent doctors so we dont know". And that was that

SplitPea

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 8:46 am
eshes chayil wrote:
I remenber my kids saving me from that one! My 4 year old son asked me how will the baby come out? TO which my 5 year old answered him (before I had a chance to open my mouth) "That's why mommy goes to the doctor to get the baby out- cuz he's a doctor so he knows these things. We arent doctors so we dont know". And that was that

So cute!

punktfarkert

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 9:12 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
But that's not true...

Well, Mommy's for sure not 10 inches dilated at other times!!! Wink

BinahYeteirah

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 9:20 am
10 inches?!? shock LOL

optimisma

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 9:22 am
I tell them it comes out of the belly button... and that's one of the reasons it's there.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 9:45 am
I remember when my little sister was born and my father was bringing us home from visiting my mother in the hospital. I must have been 15 and my siblings were younger between 9 and 13.
one of my sibs asked my father how does the baby come out and he told us very honestly that there is a special hole.
when asked where it was he said in between the front hole and back hole, only girls have it. which led to a big discussion about girls having 3 holes and boys having 2. I remember feeling so natural and comfortable and only now as an adult can I imagine what my father must have been feeling at the time.
I am actually very impressed with the way my father handled it, very calmly and honestly. and it was no big deal for us then either.
there isnt anything embarrassing about knowing that girls have an extra hole. its only tabboo if you make it tabboo.

my kids on the other hand (under age 8 ) have already figured out the baby comes out of the belly button, and never bothered asking me. Twisted Evil
if they would ask me I would tell them the same way my father told me, but I wont give them info they dont request.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 9:48 am
BinahYeteirah wrote:
10 inches?!? shock LOL
LOL

That's internal, anyway.
You don't know how long it took me to understand that.
I've known about dilation since I was a young girl (my mother was very "open" about discussing birth), and I always envisioned this hole stretching out and then the baby slides down (not that the crowning stretches it).

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 9:59 am
SplitPea wrote:
eshes chayil wrote:

So cute!

that won't work if you are someone else they know has an unplanned homebirth, delivered by Tatty or whoever else is around.

Atali

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:04 am
optimisma wrote:
I tell them it comes out of the belly button... and that's one of the reasons it's there.

It doesn't concern you that you are telling them a lie? It may make them less likely to ask you things in the future since they will get a more honest answer from their friends.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Nov 20 2009, 10:12 am
Why do boys have belly buttons?
(Side note, but I love my kids' navels. It reminds me how much we were once connected.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers