Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Home made or store baught?
1  2  Next

do you make your own sufganyot and why?
yes - home made tasts better  
 5%  [ 3 ]
yes - it is more echonomical  
 1%  [ 1 ]
yes - for the chanuka feeling  
 15%  [ 8 ]
yes - other  
 1%  [ 1 ]
no - to much of a mess  
 32%  [ 17 ]
no - store baught tasts better  
 16%  [ 9 ]
no - other  
 26%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 53

cinnamon

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 1:47 am
I'v been thinking about making my own from scratch but not sure if its worth it

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 2:20 am
I didn't answer the poll, because you didn't give the options of 2 answers. I make my own because they are cheaper and also healthier (that's kind of hard to say about sufganiot, so let's say less unhealthy Wink).

I also thought it would be a lot of work before I tried, standing over the frying pan for hours, but actually they fry very, very fast and it's not difficult at all to make yummy sufganiot. The worst part is cleaning up the pan.

Quite honestly, it's too big an expense for us - if I buy for everyone even once or twice that's a lot of money, and if I did it for 8 days...

Once you get started, who wants store bought sufganiot where they fried them in oil they'd already used 93 times? Puke

willow

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 4:35 am
I made my own one year and ended up with the stomach from H*ll because I could not stop eating them.
Now dh can buy some for himself and I can feel happy on Chanulka not eating them.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 5:04 am
Buy

-no time to make them.
-Plus more control over how many there are to eat (much easier to limit if you buy by the piece).

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 5:10 am
Most people I know buy. Easier and often tastes better (they're pros). Some will also make a few ones on the side for the fun, then say it's annoying to do and swear not to do it again (until next yr) lol.

joy613

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 6:14 am
I make them at home for the ' chanukah feeling'. I dont bake much, but it is exciting for kids to do. So even tho it's quite a pain and makes a mess, I plan to do it again this year as a fun activity to put some chanuka spirit in the house. however, I do think the store bought ones are better, so we do that too Smile

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 6:48 am
I think shop bought ones taste better but I have made my own if I can't get hold of shop ones. homemade are great fresh but go stale quickly.

someone actually gave me a doughnut maker - you can make them with very little oil using one of those.

Sherri

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 7:52 am
Buy- no time, frying gives me headache

I think that home-made taste MUCH better- I am always glad to get a friendly gift!

Kaybee

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 8:21 am
I have to buy, if I'd make I'd eat eat them all myself...my dh would eat one half and kids would eat the other half!!!

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 8:37 am
Definitely buy - for the same reasons others posted. In my house we don't fry - ever. So, if dh wants a donut or two, he's welcome to get from one of 5 bakeries here....I don't need 500 donuts sitting in my kitchen. A)it's a waste, because we won't eat them all, b)it's unhealthy to hve so many c) it's unhealthy to have any, and I'll eat them all if I make them!

louche

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 9:37 am
We don't eat them at all. Latkes are quite enough. I don't do deep-fat frying, period.
I made a batch once just so I could say I know how to do it. Having discharged this ritual obligation, I don't ever have to or intend to do it again.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 9:41 am
I got a fantastic recipe a few years ago so I've been making my own since. I have 2 deep fryers ( embarrassed ) so it doesn't take me too long. I don't think I'll manage it this year though, so I'm going to order them instead. The downside to homemade donuts: they go stale very quickly.

purplesquare

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 9:59 am
pinktichel
whats the recipe??/
I need the recipe to the creamy chocolate frosting I live out of town and can't get good doughnuts here

shiradye

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 10:09 am
I voted more economical but it's also for the Chanukah feeling. I make every year. Actually, last year, I was pregnant, my kids made them. Living here in Israel, it wouldn't be Chanukah without them if you know what I mean... Exclamation

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 10:14 am
I can't stand sufganiyot, don't ever eat any yeast cakes or fried things. The kids know that if they want them, they have to go and buy them outside, Better yet to eat them outside as well, I can't stand the smell of things fried.

Now if they had good baked cake doughnuts in this country it would be different but we are middle eastern. They even fry the lettuce here...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 10:35 am
Fattening.

louche

Post Thu, Dec 03 2009, 10:39 am
freidasima wrote:
They even fry the lettuce here...

Hey, FS/FI, there are places in the US where they fry mozzarella cheese, candy bars, and ice cream! Fried lettuce is health food in comparison.

cityofgold

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 2:37 am
so PinkTichel, can we have the recipe please?

cinnamon

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 2:41 am
I second the recipe request pinkTichel.

lizard8

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 6:37 am
Store bought. If I would make them, I would have to 'taste' one, knup another, finish off my dh's, and eat the leftover ones...I only buy one at a time for dh and then knup off his!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics