Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help us not have a miserable YT!

amother

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 10:02 pm
My 1.5 year old HATES sleeping away from home. We don't do it often as a result, but sometimes it has to happen (not to mention that I refuse to cater entirely to this whim because he has to know how to sleep away from home). We were away for Shabbos and last night was, as expected, completely miserable. We would have liked to stay tonight, but lived out of our bags for Shabbos so we could just grab them and come home- we left immediately after havdalah. We are going to my parents for RH, and after last night, I'm freaking out, as it means TWO nights. But we're not about to just stay home only because of this (we are staying home the other YTs, so I'd like the break anyway!)

What can we do to make him to learn to sleep away from home????

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 10:12 pm
Can you elaborate as to what the problem is- falling asleep, staying asleep...?

amother

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 10:24 pm
It's both- he screams being put down in a crib that's not his. We've tried letting him fall asleep on one of us, but wakes up and screams as soon as he's transferred to the crib. Eventually he passes out from sheer exhaustion. At home, he sleeps from 8-7 (barring illness or teething), away he will wake up 2-3 time per night and again, has a lot of trouble going back to sleep. I nurse him before bed always, but he has been night weaned since about 4 months ago.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 10:32 pm
oh man u just explained my daughter to the T.
we are becoming that couple that never goes anywhere bc she is dreadful outside of her own bed!!
I dont have advice...the ONLY thing that works for us and is majority of the time is the main issue, is she needs to have her own room.
can the baby have his own room? is there anything that you can bring to make it a little better?
would he be better if u put him in ur bed? ( I thght my almost 2 year old wud be fine in my bed, boy was I wrong.. she was jumping on my head)
good luck!

whoami

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 11:02 pm
Maybe try bringing along a comfort item, like a favorite blanket, pillow or, don't laugh, his bumpers. He might feel more comfortable and not as scared if he has something familiar.

spring13

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 11:30 pm
Try bringing his sheets and blankets and crib things from home? My DD went through a phase of being bad away from home, but she did get over it. Interestingly, it improved when she started sleeping in a bed and we got a cot for away from home.

seeker

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 11:34 pm
If he falls asleep on you and wakes up when you transfer, could you just let him sleep on you all night? It's only 2 nights. Even if you're not the cosleeping type in general maybe it's worth roughing it for just 2 nights. I did that when my DD was sick, I HATE sharing my bed but she was just waking up so many times neither of us could function. We got a couple of better nights' sleep together and then it didn't take too long to un-spoil her afterward.

granolamom

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 11:40 pm
no advice. we never went anywhere because we always had a small one who wouldnt sleep. eventually they did learn to sleep away from their own beds, and it was only very infrequently that I felt it important enough to force the issue. I prefer YT at home anyway. the few times we did go, I ended up sleeping with the fearful child. or not sleeping.
I remember once I paced the floor of my sister's kitchen all.night.long. with a crying toddler. very un-fun.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 11:43 pm
can you not let him sleep with either of you for the night?
Maybe its worth it to get a bit of a better night!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 11:54 pm
Can you put him in the pack n play you'll be bringing for rosh hashana from now until then, in your house, so he'll be used to it?

hop613

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 8:11 am
I feel for you. We are going away for yom tov and I am so not looking forward. I am trying to get myself in a better frame of mind, but I am also trying to accept that it might be miserable and I just have to deal. DS is also about 1.5, and he will have his own room bH. But he is not good with changes in routine, and sleeping in the pack n play.

On top of that, we will be staying over a mile away from shul, I will basically be alone with DS for most of yom tov while everyone is at shul, and blahhh. We really need to see these relatives, but I am also really pregnant and just want to be in the comfort of my own home. But I am very thankful that I don't have to cook or clean up after meals.

mom2be1

Post Sun, Sep 09 2012, 10:10 am
My DD is 13 mos but she does not sleep well in her pack n play. Usually she ends up sleeping in her stroller and she is very comfortable like that. They sell a thicker matress or a fluffy matress cover you can try that. I also agree that bring her favorite blanket and a sheet from her crib is worth a shot(even though it didnt help us!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics