Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Noticing G-d in extreme situations

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:16 pm
Anyone else hear the "Thank you G-d!" from Trent Harmon after winning American Idol? Even a non Jew, at the pique of success, can understand that this wouldn't be possible without G-d. I notice that also at the other end of the spectrum, when people have extreme suffering, often they are so low and in the depths of nothingness that either they have to choose suicide or holding onto G-d, and that is often what happens, especially for Jews.
Really nothing changed in our moment of success or suffering, it's just a moment of noticing it.
Just a thought.

Maya

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:44 pm
How do you mean "even a non Jew" is acknowledging God? Surely you must know about the tens of millions of religious non-Jews who worship a god just like we do.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:51 pm
Jews didn't invent the concept of God, there were many gods before Hashem gave us the Torah and told us He is the only true one. Non-Jews who are religious are always thanking God for the good and bad. It's not a new concept. There are many many gods out there.

5mom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
There are many many gods out there.

First (or Second) Commandment alert. I assume that you did not mean to say this.

sequoia

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:20 pm
"I am the Lord thy God; You shall have no other gods BEFORE ME."

Not, other gods don't exist.

No one would have believed it at the time.

5mom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:23 pm
Nothing wrong with saying that others worship many or different gods. But we are pretty bound to the idea of one and only one God.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:47 am
Not having seen AI I didn't see it, and hadn't heard anyone comment on it. But I think it's pretty cool. Heartening.

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:49 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Not having seen AI I didn't see it, and hadn't heard anyone comment on it. But I think it's pretty cool. Heartening.

I can't imagine that anyone would take issue with a winner thanking G-d while on stage. This country is not against G-d and religion.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:03 am
Maya wrote:
I can't imagine that anyone would take issue with a winner thanking G-d while on stage. This country is not against G-d and religion.

To the contrary, Europeans often marvel at how Christian and religious America is. Tongue Out

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:07 am
Maya wrote:

I guess it was dog bites man and that's why I hadn't heard anything about it. Or maybe I really don't listen to talk radio 24/7 Wink

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
Anyone else hear the "Thank you G-d!" from Trent Harmon after winning American Idol? Even a non Jew, at the pique of success, can understand that this wouldn't be possible without G-d. I notice that also at the other end of the spectrum, when people have extreme suffering, often they are so low and in the depths of nothingness that either they have to choose suicide or holding onto G-d, and that is often what happens, especially for Jews.
Really nothing changed in our moment of success or suffering, it's just a moment of noticing it.
Just a thought.

I am actually noticing G-d in my worst moments right now. I am at my lowest point in life right now suffering from depression and no support ...I am even have suicidal thoughts. But yesterday I felt I had energy physically to do some work for Pesach. I kept feeling Hashem's love for me, that even in difficult times, he holds my hand and helps me when I feel that all is lost....some may say, "then why does he make you suffer with depression etc" but I dont question, I appreciate that I have a higher being that takes care of me all the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics