Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Sorry to burst your bubble
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 10:59 pm
There are NO sustainable or long lasting shortcuts to healthy weight. Sooner or later all those who succeed learn to change over to a healthy lifestyle. All the "crutches" are unnecessary and surplus because nothing of it is necessary aside from adapting to good habits.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:08 am
Sorry to burst ur bubble but for some people these crutches r necessary to lose weight, along with healthy lifestyle changes.
It is exactly as u said a cruch to a broken body, not a magic cure.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 5:28 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
Sorry to burst ur bubble but for some people these crutches r necessary to lose weight, along with healthy lifestyle changes.
It is exactly as u said a cruch to a broken body, not a magic cure.

People should never feel like it takes a lot of money that is out of their budget.

All successful people have accomplished change of habit, with or without crutches. Its the free part that succeeds.

I see too many people who are optimistic go from hope to depression to hope to depression like a yo-yo. Too many say they can't afford it.

But its really the hard work of dealing with habit change. Working on the emotions.

I am not preaching this successful myself, but out of observation of all those around me.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:06 am
amother OP wrote:
There are NO sustainable or long lasting shortcuts to healthy weight. Sooner or later all those who succeed learn to change over to a healthy lifestyle. All the "crutches" are unnecessary and surplus because nothing of it is necessary aside from adapting to good habits.

Op, I appreciate how you demonstrated that weight loss drugs aren't sustainable by bringing data and using studies.

Wait- you didn't.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:11 am
Op, I'm curious where this is coming from? I am wondering why you think you can make some very sweeping and generalizing statements about a very sensitive topic without any evidence at all to support your claims.

I would love to hear the background that triggered this post.

I say this as someone who stands to benefit immensely from such drugs.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:11 am
Here's the facts about weightloss and dieting:

It works if you do it forever.

As soon as you stop whatever it is you were doing to lose the weight, it all piles back on.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:29 am
Here are the facts: people overeat to fill a void. Address the underlying issues or struggle forever. Intuitive eating is the answer.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:29 am
lamplighter wrote:
Here's the facts about weightloss and dieting:

It works if you do it forever.

As soon as you stop whatever it is you were doing to lose the weight, it all piles back on.

That's not true. I'm not actively dieting now but I lost more than 30 pounds and my weight has been stable for the last six months.

This also depends on the reason for the weight gain. I gained a ton of weight from pregnancies that stayed for years, plus a challenging work schedule that led to poor eating habits. I had to resort to a very restrictive diet as nothing else worked. I stopped, and the weight has stayed off.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:32 am
Sometimes you need crutches to help you trust yourself and believe that you that you can do it.
Talking from experience.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:34 am
giftedmom wrote:
Here are the facts: people overeat to fill a void. Address the underlying issues or struggle forever. Intuitive eating is the answer.

Most people just enjoy food. Nothing to do with filling a void. They are foodies!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:38 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:
That's not true. I'm not actively dieting now but I lost more than 30 pounds and my weight has been stable for the last six months.

This also depends on the reason for the weight gain. I gained a ton of weight from pregnancies that stayed for years, plus a challenging work schedule that led to poor eating habits. I had to resort to a very restrictive diet as nothing else worked. I stopped, and the weight has stayed off.

I don't think you should try to disprove a general point by noting an exception.

In general when people diet they lose weight. When they get off their diet and go back to their previous eating habits they gain the weight back.

The fact that this somehow hasn't been your experience doesn't discount that it is the case in the overwhelmingly majority of the time.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:39 am
flowerpower wrote:
Most people just enjoy food. Nothing to do with filling a void. They are foodies!

It depending the extent of the eating. People who binge or mindlessly eat large amounts are probably eating for emotional reasons. Of course there are also people who just love food.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:41 am
Your title is pretty rude. I think anyone who has actually struggled with weight, has had their bubble burst many times over. No need to do it again.

And I am not sure what "crutch" you are referring to....

If it's weight loss meds, I don't consider them a crutch. I consider them a tool people can use to help themselves lose weight when nothing else works. It's a lifesaver for people who need it.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:44 am
giftedmom wrote:
People also overeat because processed food is addictive and messes with your body's natural satiety feedback loop

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:46 am
You’re also thinking of the money being used for treatments which definitely helps, but money also helps in other ways, for example, I’d hire a chef to prepare healthy, delicious meals that I don’t have time or am too lazy to prepare and if there’s ready good food in front of me, I would be way less likely to then choose to eat something else that’s unhealthy. I’d also hire a personal trainer to come to me a few times a week, yes you can exercise yourself but I’m bad at self motivation. So there money would definitely help me lose weight, no question. And I can sustain this lifestyle if I have money, don’t see why not.

peace2

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:47 am
giftedmom wrote:

Not for everyone. Food has addictive qualities to it. Some people eat poorly because of bad habits or because they weren't exposed to healthy food choices from a young age

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:49 am
Sometimes you just need to cut out cake, cookies and pasta…
And learn to drink lots of water.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:53 am
amother Rose wrote:

We all know how to lose weight. The idea will work for 90%. Cut out carbs and sugar. Don't overeat. Don't eat after 7:00. Drink lots of water. Do exercise.

There, I solved it, thank you.

The problem is that it's very (very, very, very) difficult for most people to do this on a sustainable basis.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:54 am
amother OP wrote:

Have you experienced the first time in about 40 years feeling full after a normal amount of food instead of eating doubles and still feeling hungry all the time???
I’ve tried all types of eating/dieting. Intuitive eating doesn’t work if you never feel full!!
Now taking weight loss shots from my doctor who suggested I try it and I feel full after small amount of food.
When it happened at first I felt such joy!!
Please don’t knock crutches unless you can tell me you were over 100 pounds overweight and just managed to become healthy again without any!!!
Op please let us know where you come from and what you have done!
Somehow from your op doesn’t sound like you’ve ever had to lose that much weight.

mfb

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 6:56 am
amother Rose wrote:

And sometimes that just doesn’t work!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise