Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Too much homework!

My child's school gives too much homework
Agree strongly  
 9%  [ 1 ]
Agree somewhat  
 36%  [ 4 ]
Neutral  
 36%  [ 4 ]
Disagree somewhat  
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

amother

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 1:17 pm
Just a rant - it feels like my 3rd grader gets way too much homework. Combined with school on Sunday and a very short summer break, it feels like it's too much for an 8 year old!

goldrose

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 2:18 pm
a) dont undermind your child's abilities
b) you can let you your daughter's teacher know how you feel, but don't tell your daughter as it may cause her to decide she doesnt have to do it since "my mother thinks there's too much".

just my 2 cents, not toras moshe.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 2:50 pm
What do you call too much? How long does it take for your child to do his/her homework?

Homework is very valuable in reinforcing what your child learns in school. It's a review and at the same time, adds another layer of understanding to the subject matter. There just isn't enough time in school itself to accomplish that.

It also gives the parent an insight on what the school is teaching. If any concepts or skills are proving difficult for the child in the classroom, homework time is when you can get a clue that that's what's happening. You can then do any number of things to help or remedy that situation, speak to the teacher, arrange tutoring if necessary etc.

My personal observation over the years is that good teachers give more homework than ineffective teachers.

lucky

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 9:33 pm
My daughters have way too much homework! In school they learn about kabed es imechu. But in reality: Your homework is more important than your mother.

I have at times told my daughter, "you will get a lower mark in school, but in shamayim there is a big reward for helping a mom."

deedee

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 9:38 pm
my first grader has more homework then my 7th grader!!
homework, espically lots of it, is very stressful on the parents. having to take care of a bunch of kids, get dinner ready, get kids ready for bed and all other nightly chores topped by all kids homework questions. not to mention that the younger kids have to have their homework done with them so its time consuming and difficult when baby needs attention at the same time!!! of and of course hubby is at work...

raizy

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 1:23 am
I agree. what about all the kirah reviewing every single night.... with every single small child.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 1:34 am
Original amother here -

Yes, it is very hard. Soon I'm going to have four kids all needing to have me do kriah nightly and I mamish don't know how we'll do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children