Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
For those with toddlers allergic/intolerant to dairy...

anon

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 12:35 am
How do you supplement the calcium?

I used to give DS calcium-enriched ricemilk. However, he doesn't like to drink it anymore, now that I stopped giving him a bottle. He only likes milk in a bottle.

I tried giving him calcium-enriched orange juice, but the orange juice gave him horrifying diaper rashes.

He doesn't like calcium-rich veggies.

And I'm totally confused about what type of calcium supplement/multivitamin to get him. The doctor said he's too young for a supplement that is only calcium. But the multivitamins don't have the full daily requirement for calcium. I'm going back to the pediatrician next week so I'll try to clarify, but I was hoping to get some ideas here, and perhaps run them by the ped.

Any ideas would be great appreciated, thanks.

RichWithNachas

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 2:50 am
I had the same problem with my child. I was recommended to use Almond breeze milk. You can either use it as original, and, or, if your child can tolerate, it comes with vanilla and chocho flavor. It worked well for him Good luck!

cl

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 8:38 am
the soy milk I use has calcium added an I think some children's cereal has it too. My son still has formula at night (this for some reason doesnt aggravate his stomach but regular milk does) so im not too worried about his calcium intake - yet.

montrealmommy

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 2:27 pm
I can't use the almond or soy options, but what I did ifnd was liquid calcium in pediastric strength at an all natural food store. This was in Monsey so finding something with a hecscher was easy - but if it's for refuah/health you might not need one.

Ther main reason calcium supplementation is a delicate subject for kids is that it can build up and create stones (usually kidney stones) which no one wants - this is a common side effect in adults, and since the research in kids is basically non-existant most Md's tend to err on the side of caution.

I consulted with a nutritionist who ensured I was using the proper dose (and strength) and she told be liquid is the safest form for kids under 6yrs - after that they can use chewables.

If your child can eat nuts - almonds are a great source of Calcium too. Also, tinned salmon with the bones in (the bones are so soft they mash up but are a good source of calcium. Seaweed too (which would help explain why my 2 and 4 year olds are sushi connaisseurs!)

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 2:54 pm
You can slip cooked spinach, swiss chard etc into so many dishes without your kids being aware of it..

Sautee, add into tomato meat sauce, add to meatloaf, baked ziti, etc...

BTW, I just saw this amazing book my SIL was showing me about how to enrich regular, kid friendly meals with superfoods...I have to get the title, it;s a great book to check out if you're having nutrition issues.

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 3:09 pm
Got the name:

http://thesneakychef.com/

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 16 2009, 4:20 pm
They have soy yogurt - can he have soy?

anon

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:31 pm
These are all great ideas, thanks everyone.

Mimsy, the soy yogurts have extra calcium added to it? I haven't been giving him soy, but I can try.

mimsy7420

Post Sat, Jan 17 2009, 9:59 pm
I don't know if it has extra calcium - but yogurt itself is a good source of calcium.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:37 pm
I give him soy yogurt--the silk soy yogurts are marked OU-D but do not have dairy--it's just dairy equipment (as of a few months ago when I called the OU about it).
Frozen waffles and breakfast cereals also have calcium added.
Also, calcium enriched soy and rice milk.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:48 pm
I use Coral Calcium Complex for my dd. It is in liquid form, has a papaya flavor, so it tastes good. It has a good Hechsher as well. (It's a calcium - magnesium - vitamin D complex.)
It's meant for adults, but the health food store said I could give dd 1 Ttsp (she had just turned 2 at the time) a day. My daughter's nutritionist and feeding therapists were very happy with the suggestion as well.
Dd has been taking it for a year now b"h.
In addition, I try to make her broccoli soup. It's delicious and full of calcium. All I add it onion, garlic and salt, so as not to dilute the broccoli's nutrients.
Also, I make her a really healthful muffin, that has lots of vitamins including omega 3 and calcium from blanched almonds (a great source of calcium - soak overnight, peel almonds in morning. or buy it ready blanched from a specialty store). I got the recipe from her EI nutritionist.

anon

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:59 pm
Manhattanmom - do the soy yogurts have calcium added to it, or does it just provide a small amount of calcium?

Ra-mom - Well you're certainly a balubuste! Can I buy the coral calcium in regular pharmacies, or can I only get it in a health food store?

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 11:06 pm
anon wrote:
Manhattanmom - do the soy yogurts have calcium added to it, or does it just provide a small amount of calcium?

Ra-mom - Well you're certainly a balubuste! Can I buy the coral calcium in regular pharmacies, or can I only get it in a health food store?

Thanks!

I honestly haven't looked for it at the pharmacy. I buy it at one of 2 health food stores, or have it delivered from an order and deliver vitamin place.
It's about $12 or $13.
http://www.betterlife.com/prod.....ebase

csb

Post Tue, Apr 21 2009, 1:33 am
I give dd orange juice with extra calcium (tropicana) instead of apple juice to help get a little extra in (she is still on formula so she gets alot from there)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics