Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Guest at a meal - Grossed out.
Previous  1  2  3  4

First time as a Shabbos guest and too grossed out to eat - Has this ever happened to you?
Never  
 32%  [ 20 ]
Ugh, I know exactly what you're talking about.  
 61%  [ 38 ]
Grossed out, but I eat there anyway.  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 62

greenfire

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 8:09 am
chen wrote:

You shove the stuff aside to clear the surface, clean, then shove the stuff back. When three loads of freshly washed laundry are piled on the couch and spilling onto the floor, the room is untidy but it's clean. When the floor is freshly washed and half of Toys R Us is scattered all over it, it's not tidy but it's clean.

chen ... when did you visit ... Wink

mumoo

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 9:59 am
chen wrote:

You shove the stuff aside to clear the surface, clean, then shove the stuff back.

I figure that's twice the work -moving the piles about and even still not having them be put away. I understand what you are saying, but I just feel that if I touch something once, I should put it in its place. DH is an 'I'll out it there for now' person. it makes me crazy

chen

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 12:00 pm
mumoo wrote:
chen wrote:

You shove the stuff aside to clear the surface, clean, then shove the stuff back.

I figure that's twice the work -moving the piles about and even still not having them be put away. I understand what you are saying, but I just feel that if I touch something once, I should put it in its place.

You're 100% right. I was just explaining how it is possible to be clean-but-messy, or messy-but-clean. I do not recommend it as an alternative lifestyle.

Still, if given a choice between eating in a tidy-but-dirty home or a clean-but-messy home, I'll go for the ones who leave their sparkling clean dishes piled helter-skelter on the counter over the ones whose grimy platters are lined up in the cabinet.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 7:04 pm
Wow---I know I am not THE most organized but these stories are out of control!
Before guests come over on Shabbos I spray the kictehn with fantastic and wipe all counters, around toilet etc put out fresh towels...
Kitchen counters are cleared sprayed etc and new hand towels... My husband says I am insane (which is 95% true) but c'mon are those stories for real????!!
I cannot imagine a woman carrying on a full conversation over coffee and cake with while her index finger and thumb are connected with a long chain of wet snot, SERIOUSLY...

Do these stories take place in America??!!
What cities do you people live in?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 7:54 pm
Well I have been to a few homes like this.

One is a close who I no longer live in the same state as, but her house was just absolutely filthy - imagine going to their house erev shabbos and they're cleaning out the cholent pot from LAST WEEK , to make cholent for this week! That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Someone who lives in my town had the most filthy home I've ever been in - her bathroom, I went in and left w/o going - and I go in gas stations, stores, everywhere, this was beyond!

The good part about going to these homes for meals (I don't , except for the first time - I make loads of excuses) is that you lose weight on shabbos from not eating.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 8:13 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Well I have been to a few homes like this.

One is a close who I no longer live in the same state as, but her house was just absolutely filthy - imagine going to their house erev shabbos and they're cleaning out the cholent pot from LAST WEEK , to make cholent for this week! That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Someone who lives in my town had the most filthy home I've ever been in - her bathroom, I went in and left w/o going - and I go in gas stations, stores, everywhere, this was beyond!

The good part about going to these homes for meals (I don't , except for the first time - I make loads of excuses) is that you lose weight on shabbos from not eating.

I admit that my cholent pot has gone for a week unwashed in the past. this is when I burn my cholent (very rare) and I have to soak it in installments. soak a day, scrape, soak a day, scrape, etc.

at least these people wash their cholent pot Smile

I like to keep my house clean and neat, but I also admit that I can't always keep up with the kitchen floor. it has light colored tiles and everything shows up. and some things get ground in and I have to scrub it with boiling water and steel wool. I mop it, but I can't say I make sure it's perfectly spotless every time I have guests. it's clean, but not spotless.

MidwestMommy

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 8:23 pm
shock and Puke Don't people realize that their kitchens are that gross?? Do they even notice?!?!?

Bamentch

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:17 pm
I get annoyed when shoes are on couches!

Inspired

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:21 pm
I'm so happy that I do nothing on that list. Very Happy

Aidelmom

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:35 pm
really funny thread. mimisinger I leave my cholent pot fom week to week all the time - I don't think it's so bad.

I'm not discussing the really disgusting stories but for all of you making fun of really messy homes, remember that some people have ADD or other issues.

myfriends715

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:36 pm
I change my kids on the dining room table.. HOWEVER, its on a towel on a not set table.. not on the actual table... when we eat we always set the table (and remove the towel)

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 2:41 pm
Apparently I'm not that terrible! yay!

mommalah

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 3:16 pm
Bamentch wrote:
I get annoyed when shoes are on couches!

This has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves. Neighbors coming by on Shabbos and their kids just climbing onto my couch and their shoes just all over it!!! I can't stand it!!!

cm

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 4:42 pm
I'm surprised no one mentioned greasy glassware - bleccchh! I have been known to excuse myself to the kitchen on some pretense just to wash a glass for myself as discreetly as possible.

As for putting away dirty things into the cabinets - maybe that's why so many people feel they need to wash their year-round things before Pesach. I'm certainly not the neatest person in the world, but I never put away anything that isn't squeaky clean, and I don't rewash everything before Pesach.

ETA: Actually, I thought this thread would be about being grossed out by your guests...I think that would be an eye-opening discussion!

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:07 pm
I'm a little neurotic this way but I think you can tell alot by the condition of someone's clothes and their personal hygiene as to what kind of sanitary kitchen they have. So when I see little boys in grimy dingy Shabbos shirts you can be sure that I won't be eating in that house. My method hasn't failed me yet.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics