Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How old when transitioning to a bed?

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:32 pm
What was the oldest age you had a child in a crib? And assuming you didnt have a younger child to need the crib, what was the youngest age you put your child into a bed, and why?

fiddle

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 3:42 pm
put my dd in a bed a month before her 2nd birthday (mattress on the floor with a bar) because she fell out of her crib while trying to climb out and landed on her face...and I said no way is this happening again. so I bought a bar, stuck a mattress from a hi-riser on the floor and shes been there ever since.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 4:49 pm
my older was almost 3 before he moved to a bed, he didnt know any better! His younger brother, pulled out the bottom bed of the highriser at about 18 months and decided he was sleeping there!

geemum

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 5:03 pm
Either when you need the crib for the next child
or when the child wants to come out (at age 2 approx)
or if s/he's climbing out all the time and hurting themselves on the way down.

supermama2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 5:51 pm
Youngest was 15 months. B/c he was ready to get out of my room and join his older 3 brothers in their room. So I have 2 toddler beds in the room and a bunk bed for the boys now Smile

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 7:47 pm
so, my son is 33 months (will be 3 in september), and he's still in a crib. he doesnt try to climb out, I dont need the crib for ds2, and he seems perfectly happy in there. I do have a toddler bed waiting in grandparents garage for when he's ready.

at what point should I make the switch?

curlytop

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 8:11 pm
Don't do it!!!
If you don't need the crib, and he isn't climbing out, why would you? You will just have a little munchkin climbing into your bed at the wee hours of the morning. The longer in a crib, the better.
That's just my 2 cents. Ever since I put my son in a bed (only bec he was climbing out all the time anyways and I needed the crib) he comes to visit every once in a while in my bed. I kinda liked the confinement of a crib.

supermama2

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 8:15 pm
Well it takes work. I mean you DO have to spend a few days training the little guy to stay in his own bed. It's your call Twizzy. Smile It doesn't sound like a safety issue but I'm sure he would feel like a big boy by being in a toddler bed. Have you mentioned the idea to him?

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 8:33 pm
My kids are all toilet trained very early so a bed is crucial to the process. the earliest was 15 months (moved for other reasons) and the latest was 18 months.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:08 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
My kids are all toilet trained very early so a bed is crucial to the process. the earliest was 15 months (moved for other reasons) and the latest was 18 months.

I was thinking about this aspect. but do you mean to say they were trained for nighttime at that age??
because otherwise, they need help taking the diaper off, so wahts the diff if you take him out of his crib, or meet him in the bathroom to help?

curlytop, my son is a very calm, chilled out type of kid who is not going to make a fuss about being too big for a crib. he is the oldest, and for all he knows, he'll be in a crib forever. He doesnt see any other kids his age in a bed, so what does he know? why would he request a bed?

I do know, however, that he is very resistant to change. and I'm not sure if the longer I wait, the harder it will be. when I weaned him off a bottle, I believe I caught him at a perfect time, and bh it went smoothly. he was old enough to understand no more bottles, but young enough that the change didnt bother him so much.
Now already, every change in routine IS a big deal for him, so I'm wondering if sooner is better than later.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:17 pm
When I toilet train, I find it easier to do both night and day at once.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:19 pm
I've moved all of mine at a maximum of two ...

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:37 pm
Ds was a spooky scary kid so he stayed there until he was three. His sister is two (almost a half) and no plans of moving her yet.

Marion

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:12 pm
DS#1 we moved when he was 2 (24 months). We weren't desperate for the crib yet, but it made sense to do it then. DS#2 I'm planning on doing sometime this summer. He's little, so I'm not worried about him climbing out of the crib, and I also don't NEED the crib, but he sleeps on a mattress at daycare, and more importantly, we can AFFORD the 2nd bed right now, and I'd rather take care of it while it's still not an issue.

acccdac

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:17 pm
ds #1 moved out at 2 1/2 when we got the beds in the other room, he knew they were for him so he wanted to use them.

ds #2 just moved in a little after his 3rd birthday. We kept on mentioning it and every other night or so asknig him if wanted to try the bed. he was excited to move cause it was to move in wiht his brother. if he wouldnt have wanted to I would have left him in his crib, he was a better sleeper in his crib.

its really up to you and him. I say give him the option, ask him but dont pressure him. I think that by 3 1/2 maybe 4 they should for sure come out, or if they are in some sort of school setting maybe when they are in kindergarden since some kid may make fun of him for still being in a crib like baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics