Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My housekeeper-babysitter showed up sick

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 9:51 am
I just opened my front door and my housekeeper/babysitter for my infant told me her son has "the virus" I said swine flu? and she said no but that she was in the ER with him and now she has a scratchy throat. She said she didnt call because she didnt think I would believe her. I told her I dont want her staying (I am also pregnant) and that she absolutely should have called! It's not like I am paying her for not working today. Then she said she has to go see a dr. because she thinks she has strep. I got her out of the house but now I am all nervous that she was even in my front hall as I do not know what she really has and what if it is swine flu or something?
No way I am having her come till at least the end of the week now.
Ugh. Why wouldnt she call??????????

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 9:52 am
And do you think I could have CHV been exposed to something if she was in my front hallway for less than 5 minutes talking to me?

Love My Babes

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 10:13 am
she should have called if she was sick, but besides the fact that u cant undo that she was in your house, if u go to the doctors office, eveyone there is sick and coughing on top of everyone else, y is it different? if u think u never go places and ppl are sick, then u should just know that u never know where the germs are. ppl cant always just stop thier lives cuz they dont feel well and thats how germs goes around, but theres really nothing u can do to prevent it.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 10:18 am
you didn't kiss her, did you. You're fine, just wash down the doorbell and the doorknob.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 2:45 pm
there are germs on your keyboard ... BOO !!!

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
I just opened my front door and my housekeeper/babysitter for my infant told me her son has "the virus" I said swine flu? and she said no but that she was in the ER with him and now she has a scratchy throat. She said she didnt call because she didnt think I would believe her. I told her I dont want her staying (I am also pregnant) and that she absolutely should have called! It's not like I am paying her for not working today. Then she said she has to go see a dr. because she thinks she has strep. I got her out of the house but now I am all nervous that she was even in my front hall as I do not know what she really has and what if it is swine flu or something?
No way I am having her come till at least the end of the week now.
Ugh. Why wouldnt she call??????????

I imagine that she didn't call for one of two reasons -- (I) She really thought that you would not have believed her had she called. In light of the number of posters here who accuse their sitters and housekeepers of faking problems to avoid coming into work, her fear may not have been unreasonable. (ii) She needs the money. My employer pays me for a reasonable amount of sick and vacation days. I am certain that its particularly difficult for people in low income positions who receive no compensation when out sick, and who therefore feel the need to drag themselves to work, however sick they are. As you've made it clear that you're not paying while she is out, she may have tried to work so she can pay her own rent, medical bills and grocery bills.

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 3:02 pm
What Barbara said.

As far as the swine flu, both my kids had it last week. There were people in our house (our OT, for example) right before it started, and one during the actual thing, and they didn't get sick. Also, so far, my husband and I are fine, and this is after hugging, kissing and holding our two little swine.

cassandra

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 3:37 pm
Barbara wrote:

(ii) She needs the money. My employer pays me for a reasonable amount of sick and vacation days. I am certain that its particularly difficult for people in low income positions who receive no compensation when out sick, and who therefore feel the need to drag themselves to work, however sick they are. As you've made it clear that you're not paying while she is out, she may have tried to work so she can pay her own rent, medical bills and grocery bills.

Not paying for a few sick days a year is pretty cruel.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 3:46 pm
cassandra wrote:
Barbara wrote:

(ii) She needs the money. My employer pays me for a reasonable amount of sick and vacation days. I am certain that its particularly difficult for people in low income positions who receive no compensation when out sick, and who therefore feel the need to drag themselves to work, however sick they are. As you've made it clear that you're not paying while she is out, she may have tried to work so she can pay her own rent, medical bills and grocery bills.

Not paying for a few sick days a year is pretty cruel.

We do pay our sitter on the rare occasion on which she's sick, but she's been with us for 11 years. I'm not going to condemn those who don't do so. It may be a short term, temporary or very part time position. It may be that the sitter is just starting out with the employer, and has not yet *earned* sick time. I just don't know.

As an interesting aside, many years ago, I read an article stating that it is most cost efficient to tell employees to take off when sick without giving a set number of sick days. When a company gives X number of sick days, employees tend to take them, whether or not sick. Most employees faced with a *take off when you're sick* policy are honest, or at least relatively honest.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 3:47 pm
She doesnt work every day of the week for me. And shes been terrible and I dont plan to keep her once I can replace her. And I have asked her to work extra ie more money in her pocket and she said NO so money doesnt seem to be a factor for her.
Plus she came and stood in my door to tell me almost as if she knew I wasnt going to have her stay she just said she didnt want to do it on the phone bc she was afraid I wouldnt believe her.
The more I thought abt it the more I wondered if maybe I have a reason not to believe her- maybe she wanted today off! She is making her daughter a sweet 16 at the end of the week and has asked not to work one day as it is maybe she needed today to do errands.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:31 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Also, so far, my husband and I are fine, and this is after hugging, kissing and holding our two little swine.

so is swine singular and plural ?? I figure you know ... OINK OINK

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:33 pm
how can you leave your infant with a babysitter who is terrible?? shock

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:
how can you leave your infant with a babysitter who is terrible?? shock

maybe she is a good babysitter but terrible housekeeper?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 8:16 pm
raisin nailed it.
but I barely leave my baby alone with her anyway....I for the most part let her take the baby when I am home and need to rest or something....very briefly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry