Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Children under three and kashrus
Previous  1  2  3

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 3:09 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
There is such a thing as gil chinuch. The Magen Avraham and most chassidim say it is 3. There are some that say 6. All later dates are confusions with other issues.

I think I wasn't clear. There is a gil chinuch, but it is not the same for every (positive) mitzva. You don't think a 3 year old has to put on tefillin or say shmone esreh 3 times a day, or wait up in the summer to say krias shema when it is dark, do you?

The examples I gave - of sleeping in the sukka and netilas lulav - are from the gemorra.

hadasa

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 3:23 am
Seraph, it's very common for people to get offended when someone insinuates that their kitchen isn't Kosher enough. That doesn't mean you were wrong, you didn't have much choice, but you can try and understand their side, too.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 7:28 am
hadasa wrote:
Seraph, it's very common for people to get offended when someone insinuates that their kitchen isn't Kosher enough. That doesn't mean you were wrong, you didn't have much choice, but you can try and understand their side, too.
Oh, I understand that. I really do. And I'm not being overly machmir- I was eating there (with permission from my rav) until it came to a certain point where things just got so bad that I couldn't anymore...

But how long will it take for people to get past that, for them to realize that thats how it is and won't change, and getting mad at me for following my rav's psak won't change anything?

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 7:36 am
Ask them. Wink

Inspired

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 7:45 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
Maybe they have Gush Katif style bug free corn on the cob? Did you ask the mashgiach?

In America?

Seraph

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 7:48 am
GR wrote:
Ask them. Wink
Yea right... I'll get my head bitten off.

sarahd

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 9:14 am
Inspired wrote:
Imaonwheels wrote:
Maybe they have Gush Katif style bug free corn on the cob? Did you ask the mashgiach?

In America?

Why not? They have lots of other Gush Katif stuff in America.

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 9:17 am
Seraph wrote:
GR wrote:
Ask them. Wink
Yea right... I'll get my head bitten off.

Maybe it's time to have a conversation with them. That you chose xyz and any condemnation or criticism won't make you change your mind but will make you want to spend less time with them.
And then change the conversation or leave the house. I'll bet they'll start acting differently.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jun 14 2009, 9:52 am
Tell them whole pickle is the new pacifier.

WriterMom

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 11:01 pm
Seraph wrote:
No, I didnt let. And that is why everyone is mad at me for making a big deal out of "nothing".

Hey, from where I sit, you stuck to your principles while being polite to the people around you. You're not the one making a big deal out of nothing! If it's "nothing" so why do they care what your son eats?

The answer is, of course it's not nothing. It's about power and respecting people's choices. People who are happy with their own practice don't go bonkers over someone else being more stringent. DH's relatives used to do this all the time, bringing food with them when they came to visit that they knew we couldn't eat, then having a fit if we said we couldn't eat it. We finally stopped arguing, and DH takes it to work for his (non-Jewish) colleagues.

Yeah, the problem's not YOU! 8)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions