Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upshernish
Previous  1  2

supermom

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 8:12 am
make it as if everyone are camping if your house is big enough put everyone on the floors in your living room, bedrooms, and even your kitchen it will be fun and a rememberal time.

supermom

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 8:14 am
if there is a problem because of the boys and girls make a michitza with some sheets and string. girls on one side of the house and boys on the other side just make sure that the boys are on the bathroom side not the girls.

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 9:05 am
Quote:
just make sure that the boys are on the bathroom side not the girls.

Whats the difference Confused

supermom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 1:35 pm
imagine if a boy would have to go to the bathroom at night an step over the girls or pass through them and what happens if one is not exactly tznius or if you have a woman that possibly her head covering fell off during the night? nope I wouldn't want to risk anything with boys.

raizy

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 9:46 pm
I guess u ladies didnt get it . NO ONE IS SLEEPING IN MY HOUSE one month before I move.and when I am in middle of renvotaion of my new house.

I am just makeing a kiddush for all my relatives on shabbos morining.. for 27 pple. I dont even think I will give the full course meal. only cake ,herring, fish, chulent, and kugel, that is it....ohh and some sodas and salads.

well now that I looked over my post I realized that with all that food it is like a reg shabbos meal without the chalah.... Sad

newu

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 6:20 pm
Hi all. I'm going to ay"h be making an upsherin for my son in 2 weeks. It's not the minhag of my family but, my husband had one when he was 3 and we really like the idea. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice. Almost all family won't be able to make it. we recentely moved far away for my husbands job. The community is not too big, so we invited the whole shul. We thought it would be nice b/c not too many upsherins in this community and it will be nice to see. The thing is I feel like we don't really know what we're doing. We're making a brunch at the shul. My husband will give a dvar torah. I'm not really sure how to do the alef bais thing. My son knows them just he's shy when the spotlight is on him. I also made cute pekalach for the kids. Is there anything else we should be doing? It's strange that no family will be there. I guess we'll ask the rabbi from shul to do 1st cut. also, there is a small kollel here and we invited all of the rabbi's and their families of corse. so, I guess they can cut too. But, what's the order of things? Should I have music playing. it is Adar! how about purim music?? Is my son supposed to do the alef bais thing? there is no real cheder here that we could take him to. is it ok if people just come and have a nice time and hear a good dvar torah and spend time together? I hope this all doesn't sound too strange. we're also trying to come up with something good to say about Adar and upsherins. So far not too much. My husband can really just talk about upsherin... that's fine too I guess. It only seems to be a big production b/c we're inviting the whole shul. (Personally I'd much rather something small) But with out family here we wouldn't end up doing anything if we didn't do it this way. it's exciting, I just feel like I don't really know what's supposed to happen. I think I only went to 1 or 2 other upsherins ever and I can't recall much. anyway, it seems like there are many Chabad people on this sight and I think that it is really a Chabad minhag. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 6:31 pm
Sounds great the way it is!

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 3:37 pm
deleted

Last edited by shalhevet on Mon, Feb 20 2017, 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 3:40 pm
mummyof6, I know people who dont do it, although it has been adopted widely.

ldd, I think you planned it nicely.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 7:31 pm
mazal tov! Upsherins are great! I have made two in less than 2 years, and will be making a third in another year. What you planned sounds great. If there really isn't a cheder then you cant take your son to it to have it done!

Of course anyone can say alef bet with him. My brother was a july baby so there were no cheders open, my father did the alef bet and honey thing with him and we had a party after that.

If your son is very shy, like my middle son was, I would just be prepared for him not to want to preform in front of all the people. just know its a possibility, and don't force him to do too much for him, 3 years old is still just a baby!

Also after you take the first cut, put on his tzitzit, and make a beracha with him. You might want to let close friends or important people take snips off of his hair, that is really nice! Just make sure they don't cut too close, otherwise his first haircut will be awful! (tip: dont let anyone cut shorter then his chin!)

You might want to ask someone who does haircuts to come to the upsherin and finish the job there so you don't have to run out after the party and get it done that way!

I had my boys done in the morning and the affairs at a later time so it wasn't too much, but since you have it all planned for the same time I would try to get his haircut done in the shul so everyone can see the finished product!

Its amazing how fast these little boys grow up once they get thier haircuts! enjoy the time you have left with those beautiful locks! Mazal tov! much nachat from him!

newu

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 9:11 pm
Hi again. thank you so much for your replys. It's just reassuring to know that what we planned sounds normal to people who have made or been to upsherins before:)

Also mommy3.5-thanks for the idea of having him put on tsitzis and make a bracha after the first cut. I like that idea. We are still working on potty training though. I really hope he'll be ready by then. Is he allowed to wear tzitzis and make a bracha, even if he is not trained? Is it ok as long as he's in a clean diaper or pull up?? I really hope so.... thanks again!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics