Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Morning Brachos

nehama

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 9:58 pm
I remember hearing that if you didn't sleep all night you can't say all of morning brachos. Anyone know more about this?

elisecohen

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 7:13 am
There is a minimum amount you need to sleep--something like 15 minutes. This is what DH has told me; he is a shul gabbai and has to arrange on Shavuos for someone to daven who has had the requisite sleep. Also he sometimes is up all night for work. I have to ask him where it teaches this, though, and he's at shul right now for shacharis and then probably going right to work. So if someone else can give the citation that would be great.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 11:31 am
Lubavitchers do not hold that way, for the record.

SV

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 12:12 pm
I thought the minimum amount of sleep required was 30 minutes? And there are only some brachos one can NOT say.

nehama

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 4:17 pm
Thanks Crayon210, you resolved it for me! I never knew that. I always thought everyone holds you should have someone who slept say part of it for you.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 12:09 pm
In the Alter Rebbe's siddur: All the following morning brachos, one says even if he is not obligated in them - such as having been up all night, and did not remove his clothes and did not put on others - but if he was not obligated in them, he only blesses after the Amud HaShachar rises (dawn), [this is around an hour and twenty minutes before sunrise; times vary]

but if he slept at night and was obligated in them he can say the brochos as soon as he is obligated in them,

as long as it is midnight and onward, and if he was up all night and heard the rooster from chatzos and onward he can bless hanoisein lasechvi vinah,

but on hearing before chatzos, he should not bless , but should wait till after the amud hashachar rises.

nehama

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 12:01 pm
Thanks for that knowledgeable reply! Now I have no further questions!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics