Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
An easy Kiddush Hashem... YOU can do

queen

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 9:49 am
Rabbi Benzion Klatzko (thanks to Project Inspire) gave a talk last week, during which he mentioned the big effect bringing a honey cake to your non-frum neighbor or aquaintance.

It's really not that hard- when baking a cake for your family- just take a little bit of the batter and pour into a small aluminum pan. (they sell really little rectangular ones). Your cake wont look much different and you can make such a kiddush hashem.

Put a note with it along the lines of.... "wishing you and your family a wonderful and sweet new year!"

Rosh Hashana is a big deal even for the non frum and your bringing over something special for them will make an impression- 'look how thoughtful these religeous people are.....'

it's just a little thing which we can do, but can make a big difference.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:46 am
do we really need someone to tell us to be nice to our neighbors ... I should hope not ...

stem

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:47 am
Great idea! Thanks for posting.

queen

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:23 am
greenfire wrote:
do we really need someone to tell us to be nice to our neighbors ... I should hope not ...

greenie- this is beyond being nice, this is being thoughtful.

Being nice is relatively easy. What I'm referring to is ACTING. That takes effort and thought, but is very appreciated and makes a kiddush Hashem.

But doesn't have to be just for non frum. How about ppl that were helpful to you over the past year? Your kids teacher? Your babysitter who goes out of her way to help you.... your mother in law, parents etc. What a great way to express your hakoras hatov.

queen

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 2:23 pm
I just watched a very cute video clip produced by Project Inspire on line today (go to kiruv.com to find video) all about inviting non frum to your sukkah for a meal.

Yes, this aint no great chochma to do.... BUT - we all can use little reminders to clue us into our busy lives and give us some focus.

it's the small things in life that make the biggest impact.

ohbaby!

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 2:30 pm
It is a great thing!! Everyone should be reaching out to the ones that are a little far from idishkeit.
I know from experience! we have been having none frum guest come to our suka, shabbos table, seder night,etc... since I was born!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 4:05 pm
I've actually thought of that lately.

I wouldn't make making challos or honeycake to share, but the emes is that I work full time with a commute and could not go door to door to give them out. I can't get to the office that early, and I go to the gym during lunch. I'm usually in a rush to go home afterwards, too. And it would mean a whoooooooooooooole discussion as to what is Shabbos, etc.

I don't think my boss would go for it either.

louche

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 9:01 pm
No single act is right for everyone. CM, just because your next-door neighbor is the self-appointed "boogy-woogy bulkaleh girl of Avenue B" doesn't mean you have to be. You can invite people for a shabbos meal or purim seudah or seder, or send them shalach monos, or whatever. Are you into kiruv or just into kiddush hashem? because you can be mekadesh shem shamayim just by being a nice, friendly, good neighbor, greeting nonfrum people with a smile and a "Gut Yontiff, Gut Yohr".

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 9:11 pm
ok, you need my address?

bashinda

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 10:49 pm
darn. too bad I didn't see this earlier. Maybe I should try to have DH bring his lulav and esrog to work on chol hamoed.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 11:15 pm
the fact is that a person who is going to do these things probably would do so without someone telling them ... and someone who is merely doing it because somebody tells them to - is not really coming from themselves ... so what is the point ...

bashinda

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 7:47 am
There are some people, like me, who are so busy but then upon reading this thinks it would be quite easy to make some honey cakes to send to DH's co-workers. It's not that we wouldn't think to do it but sometimes you're so caught in just getting through that these kind of reminders can be extremely helpful.

pinktichel

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 7:55 am
It truly is a small deed that goes a long way.
As a Chabad shlucha, we've (not me personally, I'm too young LOL ) been doing this for decades.
This year, I gave out 50 mini ones and 10 large cakes.
What I have given out is a small number compared to what some other ppl I know have.

queen

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 10:04 pm
everyone does it in the way that is natural for them.
Me personally I don't go knocking on strangers doors giving them my honey cakes. It's not my speed or something I would do.

Rather- the non frum older couples with which we have to do (chat with them outside, check how they are feeling..... nothing more than that) I usually like to bring them honey cakes for rosh hashana. Then during the year occasionally I will give them a container of chicken soup with matza balls.... or some other cake or potato kugel.

I know they really appreciate it and I've heard back from comments they've made to others that they really like it.

these older people are nice people and I want them to have a nice feeling towards frum people.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 10:20 pm
louche wrote:
No single act is right for everyone. CM, just because your next-door neighbor is the self-appointed "boogy-woogy bulkaleh girl of Avenue B" doesn't mean you have to be. You can invite people for a shabbos meal or purim seudah or seder, or send them shalach monos, or whatever. Are you into kiruv or just into kiddush hashem? because you can be mekadesh shem shamayim just by being a nice, friendly, good neighbor, greeting nonfrum people with a smile and a "Gut Yontiff, Gut Yohr".

I'm not really into hosting, either. On a regular shabobs, dh and I are tired on friday nights and eat in shul on shabbos day.

I like to eat a few meals out on yomtov, too; although we do host occasionally as well. but we haven't invited non frum ppl; we've invited friends from the neighborhood.

I'm not really smart enough to explain things to unaffiliated ppl. I leave that for others.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur