Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Formula-how much?

bnm

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 5:05 pm
how many ounces per bottle does a 15 pound baby need?

BlumaG

Post Fri, Oct 02 2009, 6:06 pm
how old?
is the baby on solids yet?
DS is 4 m n prob in the 15lb range and has 4 8oz bottles a day and he isn't on solids yet... other people may go with 6oz bottles 5 times a day
I think 24oz-32oz is normal

I found this off babycenter.com:
If your baby isn't eating any solids (if he's younger than 4 to 6 months, he shouldn't be), the rule of thumb is to offer him 2.5 ounces of formula per pound of body weight each day.

So if your baby weighs 6 pounds, you'll give him about 15 ounces of formula in a 24-hour period. If he weighs 10 pounds, he should drink about 25 ounces in a 24-hour period.

drumjj

Post Sun, Oct 04 2009, 3:06 pm
mine is seven months and has 2-3 oz about 7 times a day and almost nothing food wise. although she eats an abnormally litle amount

Tova

Post Sun, Oct 04 2009, 8:59 pm
My nearly 11 month old baby eats a LOT of solids throughout the day (almost anything we eat) and I make her 6 oz. bottles. She usually doesn't finish the whole thing, though. Usually she will stop and turn away when she is an ounce or two from the end.

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 04 2009, 9:57 pm
less than 15 pounds....she eats solids. she took only 2 ounces of formula at a time.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 04 2009, 10:43 pm
8 ounces is ridiculous. I'm sorry. Their stomachs aren't that big, and it's overfeeding them just to space out feedings which babies aren't meant to do.

15 lbs needs around 35 ounces a day. So if the baby eats 7 times a day, each bottle should be no more than 5 ounces. I never give my babies more than 5 ounces in a bottle. Even my 14 month old daughter only gets 5 ounces of milk in hers.

drumjj

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 2:20 am
bnm I went to a pediatrician with my girl for some issues one of themi asked him was about the amount she has in her bottle which is not very much for her age and he said as long as she doesnt drop weight she is obviously having what she needs. if she is just starting with bottles it might take her time to get used to the bottles and the formula

bnm

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 2:27 am
she lost some weight already and I wasn't feeling well so I gave her formula, she liked it, took 2 ounces, a few hours later she took 3. the next day she got excited to see the bottle but refused to take more than 1/4 ounce. I then noticed that she had broken out in hives and had a few patches of exema.... I stopped the formula till I can get a different type.

drumjj

Post Mon, Oct 05 2009, 5:35 am
its possible she is allergic to it. I was also told that if a child is allergic to the milk they will only have a bit bec it hurts their tummy although that didnt work with mine and when ichanged she still has a little. I hope u find one that works out for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics