Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Kohanim in your shul ?
Previous  1  2

hadasa

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 6:20 pm
The last Cohen in our Shul passed away recently. My husband got permission from two Rabbonim to allow his son to Duchan, even though he's married to a non-Jew. Now we have to get him to come to Shul...

louche

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:46 pm
Raisin wrote:

At least we feel no pressure to produce boys first in my family. Rolling Eyes.

Seriously? Pressure? How exactly does one go about controlling the outcome? The way the Chinese do, by aborting female fetuses? By selecting Y-chromosome sperm and undergoing AI? And what are the consequences if one flouts this pressure and has a firstborn daughter anyway?

Last edited by louche on Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

louche

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:50 pm
im my kids ima wrote:
gmar chatima tovah to all. and all the brochot from the kohanim ++

you didn't really intend to sign off your blessing with two crosses, did you? Maybe you want to change that to a smiley, or two stars, or something?

octopus

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 11:56 pm
louche wrote:
im my kids ima wrote:

you didn't really intend to sign off your blessing with two crosses, did you? Maybe you want to change that to a smiley, or two stars, or something?

she probably meant x which equals a kiss (like xoxo=hugs and kisses).

louche

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:02 am
octopus wrote:
louche wrote:
im my kids ima wrote:

she probably meant x which equals a kiss (like xoxo=hugs and kisses).

then she should change it. I find that sign-off very disturbing, because catholic priests sign off that way. yeah, they consider a blessing,too, making the sign of the cross at you.

downsyndrome

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 12:50 am
I think she meant 'plus, plus' with those 'crosses'. Meaning, all good brochos and more...

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:30 am
downsyndrome-
yes, that's how I read/understood it too.

ImaShel

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 3:46 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:
Not sure what duchuning is, but Kohanim are pretty common in our community and Shul.

It's the blessing the cohanim make over the congregation at the end of mussaf repetition during the high holidays (ok, I know it's done every week in Israel and in some sefardi shuls, but you know what I mean).

Sorry to correct you, but the Cohanim bless the congregation Every Day in Israel, not only once a week.

hila

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 4:55 am
ImaShel wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:
Not sure what duchuning is, but Kohanim are pretty common in our community and Shul.

It's the blessing the cohanim make over the congregation at the end of mussaf repetition during the high holidays (ok, I know it's done every week in Israel and in some sefardi shuls, but you know what I mean).

Sorry to correct you, but the Cohanim bless the congregation Every Day in Israel, not only once a week.

I think every day is minhag Yeruhalaym (which seems to extend to Efrat and the Gush too) - and other places only duchen on Shabbat and Chag.

We hae lots of Cohanim in our shul - but they like to get up late !
Almost none usually at the Vatikin minyan (occasionally one) and there are always more at Musaf on Shabbat than at Shacharit. (maybe they daven shacharit somewhere else first - to be dan be kav zchut)

We have our own resident leviim in the house - my boys are leviim . Wuite a few in the shul too.

(for some reason lots of my closest friends married Leviim and my ds married a bat Levi)

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 5:16 am
If there are no Leviim present to wash Kohamin hands, a Yisroel Bechor can do it.

My father and brothers are Leviim. My husband is a Yisroel Bechor and he got to wash hands several times on Shabbat when we were living in a different town.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 5:33 am
On holidays, our issue is not enough space to accomodate all those kohanim, B-H. Looking form the ladies galleries, they look really crowded.

Wishing y'all chatima tova, Live long and Prosper! Wink

NotSoNewKallah

Post Thu, Oct 15 2009, 11:26 pm
My father is a Kohen and was the only Kohen in our shul for years! But there were plenty of Leviim!! As a child, my sister and I used to go under a childless mans tallis so we wouldnt feel left out when they announced "all the kinderlach go under ur tattys tallis"!!!

neverbored

Post Fri, Oct 16 2009, 12:33 am
dh and ds are kohanim too and in their shul there are so many kohanim that you cannot ever hear their voices during birchas kohanim.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur